Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Players of yesteryear who could cut it today
How about a bit of nostalgia.Name 3 players from pre Scottish League times who would grace today's times, given they had full time facilities and training, and the opportunities of today's guys. After a while we should have County's all time greats.
My starter for 3 are 1) the all time great Billy Ferries , a joy to watch and talent to burn (let's hope young Scott emulates him) 2) the guy he crossed to at Borough Briggs in Qualifying Cup Final 1993 for the glorious winner - making an [censored] of Doug Rougvie, and joint top scorer in Scottish Cup that season- Brian Grant - great finisher that put County in the Scottish League. 3) Jack Lornie - a class defender and great skipper.

(02-15-2015, 09:23 PM)BillysBoots Wrote: How about a bit of nostalgia.Name 3 players from pre Scottish League times who would grace today's times, given they had full time facilities and training, and the opportunities of today's guys. After a while we should have County's all time greats.
My starter for 3 are 1) the all time great Billy Ferries , a joy to watch and talent to burn (let's hope young Scott emulates him) 2) the guy he crossed to at Borough Briggs in Qualifying Cup Final 1993 for the glorious winner - making an [censored] of Doug Rougvie, and joint top scorer in Scottish Cup that season- Brian Grant - great finisher that put County in the Scottish League. 3) Jack Lornie - a class defender and great skipper.

Ok,I'd be going for Colin Brett,classy defender who was so consistent ,Jim ,wizard on the wing,Savage, and Stan Sokolowski,centre back who could play up top as well, I remember him playing up front against Peterhead because of injuries ,and scored a hat trick in nine minutes,immense.

We've done this one before. Last year I believe. Ross County's Best Ever Player. I typed in Google. Gordon Connelly Ross County and 4th one down was the old thread.

Gordie was a quality player and Billy Ferries was the perfect winger.

Watching County as a nipper Jim Hosie was my first hero, the way he could outwit opposing defenders with his style and trickery and that shuffle he used to do, just superb.

Jackie Lornie a great Captain and true Gentleman on and off the park.

Brian G.O.Grant just a great goalscorer two footed and good in the air and a master of the one on one situation. the number of times he lobbed the keeper, great memories.

Granty Mackay - but only because he's my mate. Never seen him play as he's way older than me - if his footballing ability was the same as his pool ability then he can't have been very good.

Love ya Granty

Hosie, Buchanan, Willie Hamilton, Jim Lynas, Donnie Cleccan, Tucker Thomson, Borley & Brett and there was a guy called Malcolm Clasper a CH who I thought was magic but he disappeared. Anybody know where he went or what happened to him?

how we could do with a Robbie Williamson in the team this season, just to kick some arses.

(02-15-2015, 09:23 PM)BillysBoots Wrote: How about a bit of nostalgia.Name 3 players from pre Scottish League times who would grace today's times, given they had full time facilities and training, and the opportunities of today's guys. After a while we should have County's all time greats.

Jack Lornie was one of the best strikers to come to county he is not a defender but could play anywhere,
Jim hosie his he got past scouts and arrived at county a five star forward line n his own
Ian Macniel great footballer jim Fleming who based his game on john White the ghost of white hart lane. Tommy Tucker Thomson anither great wee winger
Ian Grieg local lad great centre half Jock clark winger,
Ian hunter striker goal machine
Willie Hamilton great player. Willie wallace great player Mark Hately striker
Gordon Connolly midfielder Steven Ferguson great player does he still,hold goal record Colin Brett full back Alex Ferguson great player I coukd go on and on all of above woukd walk into any county team

(02-16-2015, 10:10 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: all of above woukd walk into any county team

I'm playing devil's advocate here as I'm too young to have seen any of the Highland League days - my earliest County memories are from when we were in the old third division - but were any of those players good enough to walk into any Ross County team as you say?

I'm thinking specifically of the last three years. Whilst those guys might have been excellent at non-league level, did they have the ability to cut it alongside the likes of Yann Songo'o, Evangelos Oikonomou and Ivan Sproule?

The issue of fitness is an obvious one given they would have been part time, but even assuming they could have had access to the time and facilities afforded to professionals now, did they have the same level of technical ability and understanding of the game?

If they were that good, did any go on to play at a much higher level after leaving County? I'll confess ignorance on that front as I haven't heard of most of them.

You did mention Mark Hateley, and he would be an exception to most of the above as is his day he was a top player, albeit well past his best by the time he signed for us.

(02-17-2015, 10:52 AM)Forfinn Wrote: I'm playing devil's advocate here as I'm too young to have seen any of the Highland League days - my earliest County memories are from when we were in the old third division - but were any of those players good enough to walk into any Ross County team as you say?

I'm thinking specifically of the last three years. Whilst those guys might have been excellent at non-league level, did they have the ability to cut it alongside the likes of Yann Songo'o, Evangelos Oikonomou and Ivan Sproule?

The issue of fitness is an obvious one given they would have been part time, but even assuming they could have had access to the time and facilities afforded to professionals now, did they have the same level of technical ability and understanding of the game?

If they were that good, did any go on to play at a much higher level after leaving County? I'll confess ignorance on that front as I haven't heard of most of them.

You did mention Mark Hateley, and he would be an exception to most of the above as is his day he was a top player, albeit well past his best by the time he signed for us.

Jocky Clark was certainly on the radar of other clubs outwith Ross County - scouted by Dundee Utd and had trials elsewhere ->

http://www.north-star-news.co.uk/News/Tr...t-4104.htm
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(02-17-2015, 10:52 AM)Forfinn Wrote: I'm playing devil's advocate here as I'm too young to have seen any of the Highland League days - my earliest County memories are from when we were in the old third division - but were any of those players good enough to walk into any Ross County team as you say?

Jocky transfered and played for D United. Trust me,your question was woukd players be good enough yes. Tell you what a player forgot about, woukd have won the game for us against St Mirren even yet. Craig Brewstwer

Billy Ferries was my all time favourite player.

Reckon he would do a job in the game in this day, if he was the age he was back then.

(02-15-2015, 09:53 PM)Its Only A Game Wrote: We've done this one before. Last year I believe. Ross County's Best Ever Player. I typed in Google. Gordon Connelly Ross County and 4th one down was the old thread.

Gordie was a quality player and Billy Ferries was the perfect winger.

Good pal gordie. Okay how much did he pay you;:€><#}Tongue

Hugh "Shug" Robertson. That boy could hit a dead ball.

(02-19-2015, 12:13 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Hugh "Shug" Robertson. That boy could hit a dead ball.

Sure could, here are a few belters from him that I came across a couple of days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P6DzwpYkSY

Lots of names coming out here which are not from "pre Scottish League times" which was the original question. Also some good compliant responses, but I don't think any could force themselves into today's team. If that were the case, it would mean that when we were playing in the Highland League we had a player who could have been playing in the top professional league in the country. Not likely.

I think that in the fullness of time we will look back and see this as our golden age. Hopefully there are a few names around just now, or about to emerge, which will come up when the "Who is the best player to have ever played for County?" question is asked in 20 years time.

(02-19-2015, 09:04 AM)Wicky Wrote: Lots of names coming out here which are not from "pre Scottish League times" which was the original question. Also some good compliant responses, but I don't think any could force themselves into today's team. If that were the case, it would mean that when we were playing in the Highland League we had a player who could have been playing in the top professional league in the country. Not likely.

I think that in the fullness of time we will look back and see this as our golden age. Hopefully there are a few names around just now, or about to emerge, which will come up when the "Who is the best player to have ever played for County?" question is asked in 20 years time.

Jocky Clark born and bred in Dingwall, pre Scottish League County player.
Played for Dundee Utd, and would most certainly make it .
I would also argue that he was a better player than Billy Ferries?

2) The guy he crossed to at Borough Briggs in Qualifying Cup Final 1993 for the glorious winner - making an [censored] of Doug Rougvie
Who scored that winner?
Answers on a postcard please!
If memory serves me, Steve Paterson was the manager at Huntly?
Were they going for a clean sweep?

(02-19-2015, 12:04 PM)Harry Gow Pie Staggie Wrote: 2) The guy he crossed to at Borough Briggs in Qualifying Cup Final 1993 for the glorious winner - making an [censored] of Doug Rougvie
Who scored that winner?
Answers on a postcard please!
If memory serves me, Steve Paterson was the manager at Huntly?
Were they going for a clean sweep?

It was of course Brian Grant who rolled in the winner, left Rougvie and Gardiner standing looking at each other, it was priceless. And yes , that win gave us the clean sweep in a calendar year, though not in a season, but we had every trophy we could win ( league, North of Scot Cup, Highland League Cup, Qualifying cup, Inverness Cup) all in the cupboard at once, though we went on to lose the league that season to (Steve Paterson's ) Huntly, but we'd already been elected to the Scottish League by then.

(02-19-2015, 06:00 PM)BillysBoots Wrote: It was of course Brian Grant who rolled in the winner, left Rougvie and Gardiner standing looking at each other, it was priceless. And yes , that win gave us the clean sweep in a calendar year, though not in a season, but we had every trophy we could win ( league, North of Scot Cup, Highland League Cup, Qualifying cup, Inverness Cup) all in the cupboard at once, though we went on to lose the league that season to (Steve Paterson's ) Huntly, but we'd already been elected to the Scottish League by then.

Have to mention Alan Duff, the game was looking like it would end 1-0 to Huntly when up steps Duffers in the last minute to send a screamer into the roof of the net and send the tie into extra time,

Aye that was some amount of silverware, couldn't get a tin of Brasso or Duraglit about Dingwall for long enough!