Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 3.2 Average
Singing section to jailend ?
As those of you attended the supporters meeting last week know ,one of the topics ,brought up for discussion by I belive Ross shire buff on here, was that the jailend needs to return to the hub of the county support again,I personally wanted the jailend to house the singing section in the jailend when trying to get it going,but I was told a firm no as there were too many long standing season ticket holders in the jailend that would not agee to it .
Anyhow once again it's up to me to try and sort the situation out.
As I belive the club are listening to us on this one and I don't think there are that many that would disagree with the singing section being in the jailend,
I want as many fans views as I can possibly get on this thread so I can present it to the board at the football club .

My main questions are
1, should the singing section by relocated into the jailend ?
2, why/why not ?

We need to start encouraging youngsters to attend games and I can tell you now a majority of youngsters want to make noise and sing and chant and have a good time at the football ,not sit there in silence rustling sweetie papers and the only noise they make is to slag of a player or manager .
We want supporters to support ,to make some noise ,do you agree ?

Please comment below whatever your views,if enough do then it will happen .
Thank you ..

100% YES, the jailend is where I would go when attending games before owning a season ticket. I've never agreed with that area being seated as it's killed the atmosphere in that end of the ground.

The singing section is not as effective where it's currently situated as we seem to be stuck in a corner and doesn't help the atmosphere - I'd happily move my season ticket to the Jailend if it's going to help promote atmosphere and get us back to the original Jailend we used to have.
Supporter Liaison Officer 

In my opinion, the Jail End is massively overrated. However, I know that's not necessarily the majority opinion and that many folk hold a romantic view of the olden days. I always went in the East Stand with my dad as a kid so I've never been immersed in the pre-seats culture of the Jail End, but if you look at it now it's horrendous. Compact seating, low down, terrible view, no atmosphere.

I might change my mind if the Jail End goes back to terracing, but I think getting more people to move to the East Stand Extension and embrace the Singing Section would be a better option. Of course, that might be easier said than done.

ETA: I say that as someone who has only been to two home games this season, so my views aren't necessarily that important in that regard. I can advise with much greater authority on the facilities for away fans at the rest of the Scottish Premiership's grounds...

(02-10-2015, 11:44 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: 100% YES, the jailend is where I would go when attending games before owning a season ticket. I've never agreed with that area being seated as it's killed the atmosphere in that end of the ground.

The singing section is not as effective where it's currently situated as we seem to be stuck in a corner and doesn't help the atmosphere - I'd happily move my season ticket to the Jailend if it's going to help promote atmosphere and get us back to the original Jailend we used to have.

Agreed
Singing section must be moved back to the Jailend, behind the goals. (PRIORITY)
And anyone, (sweetie paper rustlers) that does not like it can move to the right or the left, plenty room.

I sit in the east stand as I prefer the view, however, I used to be a jailender when it was terraced.

I have sat/stood with mates in the jailend since it was seated and it's a terrible view IMO. Unfortunately the view onto the Jailend at the moment is as bad as the view from it. I hate seeing how empty it is and can only imagine how the players feel about it. As a lifelong County fan I used to dream about scoring at the Jailend and celebrating with the fans (that was before I realised I was pish at footie!). The players at the moment, on the couple of times they've scored this season, must be looking for a fan to celebrate with in that situation.

In conclusion:- Put the singing section back into the Jailend to 1) fill it, 2) create a much needed atmosphere and 3) give the players the encouragement of a full Jailend, where legends are born!!!!

The club have to man up and make a decision because it will upset fans either way. At the meeting they said they moved it because there were complaints from the Jailend about the drum. Then they said they wanted to hear the fans view. Well short of holding a referendum you'll only ever get the view of whoever you speak to. There is no consensus amongst fans. Some want it moved, some don't, some don't want it at all.

My view is that the best time to move it is when you get safe standing. Nobody's seats will be under threat, some will prefer seating and move to another stand etc. By all accounts they expect that within two seasons at the most. If it was me I'd say that now to end the discussion and give everybody fair notice.

In answer to your question : Yes I think it should be moved to the Jailend.

But it's not just a simple relocation of a few people for it to work.
I raised this issue several times over the last couple of seasons and it has fallen on deaf ears, or simply knocked back.

Firstly the comment about the season ticket holders in the Jailend being 'long standing' is a bit of smoke and mirrors.
yes the majority of people with seasont ickets int here have had season tickets for a while, but that was when it was terrace, and they stood where they wanted - they've only been forced into the current seats for 2.5 years.
Maybe some like them, maybe some don't..

For me though, the Jailend should be 'unreserved seating' and people take their seat on a first come first served basis.
That will allow people wanting to sign to congregate ina particular area - as what happened whe it was terracing.
Also the club have to let it be known that standing in the jailend will be tolerated, and those wishing to sit down at football, may be best moving to the East/West Stands.
Afterall the 'long standing season ticket holders' stood themselves for long enough.

By allowing unreserved seating, this will not only allow groups to form, it will also allow the casual spectator to come along to a match and sit/stand next to a mate who is maybe a season ticket holder. - In my mind quite a few people don;t go to football now as they can't get a seat next to their mate / family member etc.

In the past I've been told by the club 'unreserved seating' is not allowed - well this is wrong, how many away games have you gone to where your ticket is actually printed with 'Unreserved seat'

To me that is the only way that a signing section will be effective, regardless of what stand it is in.

I'm another old time jailender (well maybe not quite so old!) so yup 100% want the singing section to be moved there. It's the heart of our stadium and where we should be. Although my season ticket is in the jailend I've moved to singing section as I like to make myself heard without fear of being told to "sit down and shut up"! The sooner we can get the old jailend back the better.....I'm sure the team miss it too.

To be honest, I don't think the 'Singing Section' do/have done enough to merit a move. It is a shambles. They have 3 songs at the most and only ever sing when something big happens. Plus there are too many cheeky little bandits involved that have only been going to games for 3 years and think they know all about the club.

Taking away the Celtic fans (because I think their singing is a credit to the club (apart from the sectarian songs ofcourse)), there have been fans travel to our stadium and have out-sung our support (Caley included), it's embarrassing.

This all might sound negative towards the whole thing but I can't help but cringe when the 'Singing Section' attempt to get things going.

Please note - My opinion only ofcourse.

(02-10-2015, 02:12 PM)thejailender Wrote: In answer to your question : Yes I think it should be moved to the Jailend.

I raised this issue several times over the last couple of seasons and it has fallen on deaf ears, or simply knocked back.

Firstly the comment about the season ticket holders in the Jailend being 'long standing' is a bit of smoke and mirrors.
yes the majority of people with seasont ickets int here have had season tickets for a while, but that was when it was terrace, and they stood where they wanted - they've only been forced into the current seats for 2.5 years.

For me though, the Jailend should be 'unreserved seating' and people take their seat on a first come first served basis.
That will allow people wanting to sign to congregate ina particular area - as what happened whe it was terracing.
Also the club have to let it be known that standing in the jailend will be tolerated, and those wishing to sit down at football, may be best moving to the East/West Stands.
Afterall the 'long standing season ticket holders' stood themselves for long enough.

By allowing unreserved seating, this will not only allow groups to form, it will also allow the casual spectator to come along to a match and sit/stand next to a mate who is maybe a season ticket holder. - In my mind quite a few people don;t go to football now as they can't get a seat next to their mate / family member etc.

In the past I've been told by the club 'unreserved seating' is not allowed - well this is wrong, how many away games have you gone to where your ticket is actually printed with 'Unreserved seat'

To me that is the only way that a signing section will be effective, regardless of what stand it is in.

One of the most sensible posts on here for a while, and one I completely agree with. I had the same knock-back when suggesting that a few years ago too.

I'm at the back of the jailend and surrounded by season tickets, only just managed to get an additional one to share between our 2 kids with the of help from Ranald last summer. So the kids take it in turns despite both wanting to go every week. The alternative would be to move from a reasonable view at the back of the jailend to a crap view, or leave the jailend altogether despite having stood there for more years than I care to remember.

I also know a few that don't go, or rarely go, these days as they can't get close to season ticket holding mates.

(02-10-2015, 02:19 PM)Deed Wrote: To be honest, I don't think the 'Singing Section' do/have done enough to merit a move. It is a shambles. They have 3 songs at the most and only ever sing when something big happens. Plus there are too many cheeky little bandits involved that have only been going to games for 3 years and think they know all about the club.

Taking away the Celtic fans (because I think their singing is a credit to the club (apart from the sectarian songs ofcourse)), there have been fans travel to our stadium and have out-sung our support (Caley included), it's embarrassing.

This all might sound negative towards the whole thing but I can't help but cringe when the 'Singing Section' attempt to get things going.

For all that you say its embarrassing when our home support is out-sung, you also say you cringe when the singing section try to get things going. Whats embarrassing about it, just the few number of songs and they don't sing often enough?

Do you ever try to do anything about our support being out-sung, or just get embarrassed when the away fans sing, but also get embarrassed when the singing section sing? What would you recommend that would be less cringe-inducing?

I live in Edinburgh so predominantly go to away games, so don't have any allegiance to the singing section. Admittedly I thought it was a good idea to address the [censored] atmosphere at home, but if it's not a good idea, I'd be interested to hear how to improve things? I do attend a few home games a season, so would be happy to help role any other ideas out.

Not as bitchy as it sounds, is a genuine enough question looking for something constructive. Personally I'm a bit baffled how better to address it under current circumstances other than having folk who want to sing - sing. Jailenders post on how to help things by changing the current circumstances and re-addressing how the jailend is operated is an excellent take on the situation.

(02-10-2015, 02:12 PM)thejailender Wrote: In answer to your question : Yes I think it should be moved to the Jailend.

This.

(02-10-2015, 02:19 PM)Deed Wrote: Taking away the Celtic fans (because I think their singing is a credit to the club (apart from the sectarian songs ofcourse)), there have been fans travel to our stadium and have out-sung our support (Caley included), it's embarrassing.

This happens all over the country. I don't make many home games but do make most of the away games. Home supports all over are very quiet, even at Celtic Park these days. Look how well Aberdeen are doing this season, but by my reckoning there were 45 minutes on the clock on Saturday before I heard a song from them.

It's a combination of two factors I think. 1) Fans are more concentrated in the away end - people who want to sing stand together in the same area rather than being spread around and forced to sit. Not everyone who sings at away days stands in the singing section at Victoria Park. And 2) away fans have generally had more chance for some bevvy beforehand to lubricate the vocal chords.

So yes, it is embarrassing to be outsung by a small travelling support, but it's also something we do to other teams every other week.

(02-10-2015, 02:19 PM)Deed Wrote: To be honest, I don't think the 'Singing Section' do/have done enough to merit a move. It is a shambles. They have 3 songs at the most and only ever sing when something big happens. Plus there are too many cheeky little bandits involved that have only been going to games for 3 years and think they know all about the club.

It's not been a roaring success but then again it's not exactly been embraced by the rest of the County support. A bit unfair to criticise guys for only going along to games for a couple of years, there's a lot of young lads making up the "Singing Section" so it's not exactly their fault for being, well, the age they are.

Fair point about the number of songs though. Even recent away games have seen the same three songs used over and over again (Aberdeen in particular). There's only so often you can hear the Human League before getting bored. But songs come from spontaneity - with the greatest of respect, nobody is ever going to sing the long winded terrible efforts that get typed up on here - and there's not been much to get the crowd going this season. From my experiences with the Central Staggies (who definitely don't lack creativity IMHO), that's certainly been the case.

However, away fans tend to make more noise than home fans around Scotland. County's away support is certainly more vocal than its home support, and from my own experiences thats normally due to folk being bevvied up and all grouping together.

Nail hit firmly on the head!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(02-10-2015, 03:05 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: It's not been a roaring success but then again it's not exactly been embraced by the rest of the County support. A bit unfair to criticise guys for only going along to games for a couple of years, there's a lot of young lads making up the "Singing Section" so it's not exactly their fault for being, well, the age they are.

Fair point about the number of songs though. Even recent away games have seen the same three songs used over and over again (Aberdeen in particular). There's only so often you can hear the Human League before getting bored. But songs come from spontaneity - with the greatest of respect, nobody is ever going to sing the long winded terrible efforts that get typed up on here - and there's not been much to get the crowd going this season. From my experiences with the Central Staggies (who definitely don't lack creativity IMHO), that's certainly been the case.

However, away fans tend to make more noise than home fans around Scotland. County's away support is certainly more vocal than its home support, and from my own experiences thats normally due to folk being bevvied up and all grouping together.

Free drink for anyone who can sing then!!!!Tongue

I sit in the jailend and think it would be great for the singing section to be moved there as I think that will be the best way to increase the size of the singing section, a lot of my mates didn't want to join because it was in the east stand and and they seemed very stubborn about moving away from the jailend, this could the case for a lot more too? I wouldn't of had a problem with moving but would definitely prefer it in the jailend.

I have been in the jailend for a number of seasons and I would not be in any other part of the ground it has alwase been the hart and sole of the Ross County support putting seats in it has killed the County support and it needs to go back to terraceing we need the singing section back in there

(02-10-2015, 06:24 PM)Strathpefferstaggie Wrote: it has alwase been the hart and sole of the Ross County support

[Image: image.jpg]

+

[Image: solea_sole.jpg]

Thanks for that Alan,I agree 100% with you ..hopefully those deaf ears are now listening,they are making the right signals right enough ,time will tell