Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"You've Got No Fans"
No, the Wealdstone Raider (or whatever he's called) hasn't launched a snide attack on Ross County, instead the chief sportswriter at one of Scotland's best selling newspapers has.

It's from yesterday's edition but I only noticed it when having my porridge this morning:

Quote:With all due respect to those who follow both Inverness and Ross County, snow could close the A9 indefinitely and the greater game wouldn't even notice.

Now disparaging comments from the MSM towards the Highland clubs are not unusual but given the Mail is now banging the drum about how right Barry Hearn is about Scottish football, I'm surprised to see their top man coming out with comments like this - not exactly talking the game up, is it?

There is so much wrong with that. I just hope he's trolling, or being wilfully ignorant.
Given it's the mail, I'm going with the latter.

(12-09-2014, 10:27 AM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: No, the Wealdstone Raider (or whatever he's called) hasn't launched a snide attack on Ross County, instead the chief sportswriter at one of Scotland's best selling newspapers has.

It's from yesterday's edition but I only noticed it when having my porridge this morning:

Now disparaging comments from the MSM towards the Highland clubs are not unusual but given the Mail is now banging the drum about how right Barry Hearn is about Scottish football, I'm surprised to see their top man coming out with comments like this - not exactly talking the game up, is it?

Oh Dear!
The mail is not top on my shopping list any day.
However, no surprise to hear such ridiculous comments.
Hate to say it, but has the writer looked a the current table?
Caley are sitting second top, (on merit)
Ow that hurts!
Just a few weeks back we that that Little N..f Strachan, suggesting that HOBS, HERTZ, and some other mob be fast tracked back into the top division.
Aye good one G......y Gordon!
That would be brilliant, just pick the teams the central belt would like, and in line with the Mail, no clubs North of Perth admitted to any senior league.
They seem to forget, it's only a 3 hour drive from Glasgow, not a 3 day round way trip.
Is the Caley or County support any worse than Saint Mirren, Saint Johnstone, Hamilton?

Saint Mirren are now looking for a new manager!
Immoral Cow Den Bender

http://youtu.be/sAhEFuq62-I

For those that haven't seen it. This guy would fit in well at Viccy Park.

(12-09-2014, 10:27 AM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: No, the Wealdstone Raider (or whatever he's called) hasn't launched a snide attack on Ross County, instead the chief sportswriter at one of Scotland's best selling newspapers has.

Terrible, but unfortunately not surprising, comments here. The apparently fictional 'Central Belt Bias' appears to be alive and well. Imagine, 2 clubs from aaaaaallllllll the way up there in the top division, while 3 'giants' of the Scottish game aren't. Notwithstanding that 2 of them have been the subject of some very questionable financial practices for many years. Our media should surely be trying to get the interest of the whole country up? The world does not stop turning outside Glasgae and Edinburgh, the sooner the Scottish sports media realise this, the better

(12-09-2014, 12:16 PM)Roccos Wheelie Bin Wrote: Terrible, but unfortunately not surprising, comments here. The apparently fictional 'Central Belt Bias' appears to be alive and well. Imagine, 2 clubs from aaaaaallllllll the way up there in the top division, while 3 'giants' of the Scottish game aren't. Notwithstanding that 2 of them have been the subject of some very questionable financial practices for many years. Our media should surely be trying to get the interest of the whole country up? The world does not stop turning outside Glasgae and Edinburgh, the sooner the Scottish sports media realise this, the better

Brilliant comments.
Aye, it's an effort fro the Central Belter's to move outside their area!

(12-09-2014, 11:22 AM)staggie1746 Wrote: There is so much wrong with that. I just hope he's trolling, or being wilfully ignorant.

I don't think he was trolling. Putting the quote in context:

John Greechan (a Raith Rovers fan, allegedly) started out calling for some radical thinking: scrap minimum number of seats and replace it with a rule that says you can only get promoted if you have an average crowd of more than 2500. He then has a go at ICT for the attendance against St. Mirren in the Scottish Cup replay (1300 - although I believe that there are justifiable reasons for such a low crowd) before saying "We were all sold the idea of the Highlands being some great untapped footballing hotbed". He then finishes it off with the quote in the OP.

"Wilfully ignorant" is bang on the money.

(12-09-2014, 01:02 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: I don't think he was trolling. Putting the quote in context:

John Greechan (a Raith Rovers fan, allegedly) started out calling for some radical thinking: scrap minimum number of seats and replace it with a rule that says you can only get promoted if you have an average crowd of more than 2500. He then has a go at ICT for the attendance against St. Mirren in the Scottish Cup replay (1300 - although I believe that there are justifiable reasons for such a low crowd) before saying "We were all sold the idea of the Highlands being some great untapped footballing hotbed". He then finishes it off with the quote in the OP.

"Wilfully ignorant" is bang on the money.

What a fad (a more apt word, but pronounced in a strong Deng-waall accent).
Given both Highland Clubs are in the top flight, and have been for 3 years, I'd argue that's proof it was previously an untapped footballing hotbed. High attendances aren't indicative of a decent level of football. I wonder how Turnbull Hutton would react to his idea?

Aye, am sticking with "wilfully ignorant".

Despite spending too much time on Twitter and generally being very aware of the Scottish football media, before 5 minutes ago I had never heard of John Greechan. I think that tells me all I need to know.

(12-09-2014, 11:22 AM)staggie1746 Wrote: There is so much wrong with that. I just hope he's trolling, or being wilfully ignorant.

I prefer to think of it as incompetent, unimaginative, lazy, put simply downright Thick.

It has always been a source of pain and embarrassment to me and articles like this do nothing to dispel that sinking feeling. Unfortunately pretty much typical of the standard of journalism in the mainstream Scottish press.

Laughable.

The likes of Hamilton, St Mirren and St Johnstone aren't getting any higher attendances.

Remind them what attendance Hamilton got for the FIRST GAME back in the SPL?

Rangers and Celtic's stadiums are only about a quarter full. Rangers only got 13,000 the other week!

It's probably written by the same idiots that think £25 to watch an SPL game is value for money.

"Wilful ignorance" is pretty much the policy of the Daily Mail. If there is a target for some lofty disparaging they'll be right on it. If you want to think for yourself, look elsewhere.
Soz Jim'n'Billy

That would be the same Daily Mail that carried the most outrageous of a series of outrageous series of scare stories during the referendum campaign.

All the more incentive to make sure that there remains two of those pesky inconvenient Highland nonentities in the top league yet again next season.

Some of you lot are rather precious, we do have an abysmal following and our home support isn't the best. Just need to see the failure of the singing section for confirmation of this.

On the subject of Celtic, can't see this initiative taking off given that most of their fans are signing on anyway,

@CelticFCSLO: Xmas offer to all unemployed supporters, free ticket for match v Ross Co, Dec 27 call in to TO from Mon with relevant docs to pick up

(12-12-2014, 08:26 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Some of you lot are rather precious, we do have an abysmal following and our home support isn't the best. Just need to see the failure of the singing section for confirmation of this.

On the subject of Celtic, can't see this initiative taking off given that most of their fans are signing on anyway,

@CelticFCSLO: Xmas offer to all unemployed supporters, free ticket for match v Ross Co, Dec 27 call in to TO from Mon with relevant docs to pick up

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

(12-12-2014, 08:26 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Some of you lot are rather precious, we do have an abysmal following and our home support isn't the best. Just need to see the failure of the singing section for confirmation of this.

Hmmm, yes...I see your point, why are we not packing them in like.....erm...like....hang on...like....erm....no I've got this...like...no, can't think of a club with an equivalent population and geography. I can think of lots that are close to, or even in, large conurbations that get the same attendances as us. Hell, I can think of one that is based on the outskirts of a city of 77,000, that is pressing for top place and get less than us.

Anyway, back in the real world....

(12-09-2014, 02:49 PM)Forfinn Wrote: Despite spending too much time on Twitter and generally being very aware of the Scottish football media, before 5 minutes ago I had never heard of John Greechan. I think that tells me all I need to know.

Do you suspect that the piece was written shortly after said Mr Greechan was told he was covering the County game, got out his A_Z of Glasgow, couldn't find Dingwall in it, got out his map of Scotland and almost spilt his Skinny Late, before throwing the toys out of the pram.

There is a massive difference when a town with a population 5,491 people gets a regular 3000 att

And a city of 72,000 struggles to get 2500

Too many people need to get their heads out of their arses and start supporting local teams.

I have friends who will go to the away end when County play Celtic, Could probably count with one finger the amount of times they've been in Glasgow

(12-17-2014, 05:22 PM)ShEp Wrote: There is a massive difference when a town with a population 5,491 people gets a regular 3000 att

Too many people need to get their heads out of their arses and start supporting local teams.

I have friends who will go to the away end when County play Celtic, Could probably count with one finger the amount of times they've been in Glasgow

Aye, similar. Will never understand that.
Like being at a school sports day and hoping the big neddy kid who just moved up from Glasgow wins the race, instead of your nephew.
More to it I know, but thats my own general take on it.

(12-17-2014, 05:22 PM)ShEp Wrote: There is a massive difference when a town with a population 5,491 people gets a regular 3000 att

Aye, similar. Will never understand that.
Like being at a school sports day and hoping the big neddy kid who just moved up from Glasgow wins the race, instead of your nephew.

(12-17-2014, 06:32 PM)staggie1746 Wrote: Aye, similar. Will never understand that.

Aye! Similar. DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT!
Some of them born and bred in Ross-shire, never been south Of the Kessock Bridge, talk with Central Belt or Irish accents.
Oh, ma Great Great, Granda was from Ireland so ah support Celic.
Oh, ma Great Great, Granny lived in Govan so ah support Rangers.
And that old line, Ma Da used to go to Ibrox or Parkheid every week, was that in the super 70's when the crowds were?
Amazing to see guys I know, never been to Parkheid or Ibrox turn up in the colours to support the Old firm in the away end. (When we played Rangers in the cup).
Spotted one Celic supporter marching down Dingwall High Street, born and bred locally, at his age it was probably Inverness, giving it the big Central Belt accent, and encouraging the others to sing songs.
You know the fable one about corn!
Immoral Cow Den Bender