Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
vs Dundee United
This Friday, 7.45pm. Live on BT Sports.

I think the key to beating Dundee United is forcing the back of their midfield into errors and getting whichever attacking midfielders are playing into the space around Paul Paton.

Irrespective of what has happened off the pitch recently for him, Paton recently won player of the month. He's a very good player when given time on the ball, but he's so one-footed, and a little cumbersome under pressure, that it can be taken advantage of.

County were brilliant at chasing ICT down and putting them on the back foot in the first half. They were also successful in keeping Aberdeen at bay in the first half, using a different more containing approach. I don't know what the manager will do, but I know what is more exciting to watch.

Queen of the South's first win after McIntyre joined County was against Hibs and the framework to the team was still there. County should be snapping on Paton like Ian McShane does to Scott Robertson here:

http://youtu.be/KsxYeOILZoU?t=3m38s

Really worried as Aiden Connoly is on fire just now. With Armstrong, Cifti, GMS playing well also, think we should play with just one up and counter attack. I know we're at home but I don't want the new found optimism to get pumped.

(12-03-2014, 11:39 AM)Alfiesdad Wrote: Really worried as Aiden Connoly is on fire just now. With Armstrong, Cifti, GMS playing well also, think we should play with just one up and counter attack. I know we're at home but I don't want the new found optimism to get pumped.

From what I'm reading on the fan's forums, Armstrong and GMS aren't playing well lately and a few Arabs are calling for them to be dropped/rested.

D Utd are a good footballing side, but are quite inconsistent and can be got at.

I'm not overly confident, but if we can stop them playing and get some attacking movement of our own, we could get something out of this. There's always hope Wink

We need to approach this game in the same manner we approached the Dundee game at The GES - we got into their faces from the whistle and didn't give them any time on the ball, if we let Utd play, they will tear us a new one!

I'm all for closing them down and not giving them anytime on the ball and trying to create counter-attacking quick breaks from winning the ball in midfield - as John@THHP says, if we can put the back of their midfield under pressure to make mistakes - we may just get something from this game - we are at home and should rise to the occasion given we have been away for the last couple of games!

Interested to see the team sheet, but I think we may stick with the same kind of lineup that faced St Johnstone - if so, then Woods, Carey and Irvine need to give us an oustanding performance in midfield!

Up and at em, as Jones in Dads Army used to say "they don't like it up em...."
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Would it be fair to say that Lewis Toshney is not the answer at right back I am worried about Dundee utd attacking as down our right side Richie is not ideal in the role either.

Brown
Quinn Saunders Boyd Reckord

Dingwall Irvine Woods Carey

Arquin Jervis

Subs: from Reguero/Toshney/Brittain/Dunfield/Boyce/Maatsen/Macleod.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

Press high and look to dominate like we did in the first half against Dundee and ICT.

We beat Dundee Utd 3-0 at home less than a year ago, there's nothing to fear.

If we see a lot of the ball, our front 4 of Jervis, Dingwall, Carey and Gardyne has goals in it.

Gardyne is unavailable due to his loan correct?

Can see Woods being dropped in favour of Kiss.

(12-03-2014, 04:43 PM)IDW16 Wrote: Gardyne is unavailable due to his loan correct?

Can see Woods being dropped in favour of Kiss.

Kiss wasn't in the squad last week. I wonder was he injured?

Quite excited for this, haven't been at a game since the Aberdeen one on the monday night.
I actually think Toshney is quite good at right back, although he is quite prone to giving the ball away his actual defensive work is usually very good. Taking that into account as well as Gardyne and Frempah's absence, I would go with a starting team of:
Brown
Toshney Quinn Boyd Reckord
Brittain Irvine
Dingwall Carey Cardle
Jervis/Boyce/Arquin
I am still unsure which of the three strikers is our best option, I would say Boyce on natural finishing ability, but is he fit enough? Also would have definitely had Frempah over Boyd but that isn't possible now due to his injury, which I'm really hoping isn't too serious as I think he's a huge asset to our defence when playing.

Brown
Woods
Dingwall Brittain Irvine Carey
Jervis

Would like to press higher up the pitch and protect the wings so 1 sitting midfielder and 2 central midfielders and 2 wide men to push onto their full backs and force their wingers to help out.
Theory is great!! Oddly enough I have a good feeling about this one, if we get in their faces from the off and don't stand off the man with the ball then I think we could win this. Wish Frempah was available.
Mon County

Not been impressed by Woods, maybe time to see what Dunfield can do (I've erased that Celtic game from my mind).
Rather Toshney at RB than Brittain, and would keep Cardle on bench.

A point would be very decent, but I'm not expecting one.

I'd go:

Brown
Brittain Irvine
Dingwall Kiss Carey
Jervis

Bench: Reguero, Dunfield, Woods, Maatsen, Cardle, Boyce, Arquin

(12-04-2014, 01:44 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: I'd go:

Brown
Brittain Irvine
Dingwall Kiss Carey
Jervis

Bench: Reguero, Dunfield, Woods, Maatsen, Cardle, Boyce, Arquin

I'd have same first XI.

So that's the team sorted now.

Looking at the teams proposed above and not claiming any expertise on football tactic - what are your views on playing Arquin in midfield two key remits, one to close down Paton as he would provide a very powerful, fast and intimidating presence and two to provide strong runs from midfield into the box to support the strikers. I feel that this sort of presence is missing from our forward play in midfield.

(12-04-2014, 03:01 PM)the reaper Wrote: Looking at the teams proposed above and not claiming any expertise on football tactic - what are your views on playing Arquin in midfield two key remits, one to close down Paton as he would provide a very powerful, fast and intimidating presence and two to provide strong runs from midfield into the box to support the strikers. I feel that this sort of presence is missing from our forward play in midfield.

Yeah, would like to see Arquin start, we need an intimidating presence from the off, we will need to be at our very best tomorrow night - no room for defensive errors, if not I fear a thrashing.

(12-04-2014, 03:44 PM)DORTAIN Wrote: Yeah, would like to see Arquin start, we need an intimidating presence from the off, we will need to be at our very best tomorrow night - no room for defensive errors, if not I fear a thrashing.

Arquin didn't cause any threat to the Saints defence last week. A bit of a problem in the air on occasion, but overall, not great.

Boyce however, was impressive.

Hope there's a decent crowd on Friday night. Oh for the days when every game started at 3 o'clock on Saturday....

(12-04-2014, 03:01 PM)the reaper Wrote: Looking at the teams proposed above and not claiming any expertise on football tactic - what are your views on playing Arquin in midfield two key remits, one to close down Paton as he would provide a very powerful, fast and intimidating presence and two to provide strong runs from midfield into the box to support the strikers. I feel that this sort of presence is missing from our forward play in midfield.

I think to play the deeper, midfield role, you need good composure and game awareness (I know Irvine and Ketts aren't Xavi-esque, but you get my meaning).

I like Arquin, but think he is much better at running the lines; so is better up top, or out wide. Not sure if he could be moulded into a Viera-type player, has the physicality, but I'm not sure he plays the game that way.

Kiss has a thigh strain according to this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30241304

I really hope we take the game to them from the off and don't sit back. I think the first goal will be really important for us. Looks like we'll need the thermals for tonight. Dry at the moment on the Black Isle but could be showery later. Come on County. 3 points with style will cheer us all up.