Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Malky Mackay: Wigan Athletic confirm new manager
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30113956

Really like Malky and have a soft spot for Wigan. Also it is great for Don Cowie.

(11-19-2014, 03:14 PM)SCUBASTEVE Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30113956

Really like Malky and have a soft spot for Wigan. Also it is great for Don Cowie.

Will be the third club they've been together at! Which is good news for Don i reckon

I have been wanting to attend a game but never got round to booking travel/accommodation etc...

Will definately be looking into it for next year. Would be good to catch up with Don.

(11-19-2014, 03:14 PM)SCUBASTEVE Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30113956

Really? He might be a decent manager but he's clearly an [censored] of a man given the whole racist, sexist, homophobic text messaging thing.

I think Malky is a good manager and that he did dont say anything of racist, sexist, homophobic nature and it will also be good for Don

(11-20-2014, 10:30 AM)Strathpefferstaggie Wrote: I think Malky is a good manager and that he did dont say anything of racist, sexist, homophobic nature and it will also be good for Don

Really?

(11-19-2014, 06:40 PM)Forfinn Wrote: Really? He might be a decent manager but he's clearly an [censored] of a man given the whole racist, sexist, homophobic text messaging thing.

Do you think he is the only guy in football to be sending texts like this? It is happening all over the world. You must be Mr Perfect then.

When I said I like him I obviously meant as a football manager as I do not know him personally. These things are happening within and outwith football. We have all sent or laughed at a text message but that is the world today. Get over it.

Seems his new Chairman is in a spot of bother too.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30139723

(11-21-2014, 12:22 PM)Deed Wrote: Do you think he is the only guy in football to be sending texts like this? It is happening all over the world. You must be Mr Perfect then.

(11-21-2014, 12:24 PM)SCUBASTEVE Wrote: These things are happening within and outwith football. We have all sent or laughed at a text message but that is the world today. Get over it.

Again... really?

I'm not calling in to question his ability as a manager, or denying his right to manage again the future. Others have done much worse things and rehabilitated themselves, but this apologising for his behaviour is pretty astounding.

I certainly wouldn't look to call myself 'Mr Perfect', but nor have I ever sent a text message similar to my personal favourite of Malky's, in relation to South Korean midfielder Kim Bo-Kyung:

Quote:Fkn chinkys. Fk it. There’s enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around.

That's racist, pure and simple. Just because other people do it too doesn't make it acceptable, and saying it's alright on that basis just exacerbates the problem.

And I see Dave Whelan's doing his best to make Wigan the most unpopular club in England. He'll be signing Ched Evans next...

Whelan and Mackay are made for each other, it seems (although I suspect the main reason Whelan appointed Mackay is that his salary demands won't be very high at all, which is handy seeing as they've already had a sponsor pull out)

Whelan's comments are particularly nasty, especially:

“It’s telling the truth. Jewish people love money, English people love money; "

Why does he feel the need to differentiate between Jewish people and English people? Does he not consider it possible to be both Jewish and English? (Mackay's views on Jewish people aren't any better)

Really hope folk on here aren't showing Mackay sympathy simply because he has a track record of picking Don Cowie every week
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

(11-21-2014, 01:49 PM)VanderDalgarno Wrote: Whelan and Mackay are made for each other, it seems (although I suspect the main reason Whelan appointed Mackay is that his salary demands won't be very high at all, which is handy seeing as they've already had a sponsor pull out)

Whelan's comments are particularly nasty, especially:

“It’s telling the truth. Jewish people love money, English people love money; "

Why does he feel the need to differentiate between Jewish people and English people? Does he not consider it possible to be both Jewish and English? (Mackay's views on Jewish people aren't any better)

Really hope folk on here aren't showing Mackay sympathy simply because he has a track record of picking Don Cowie every week

you take life to seriously

(11-25-2014, 10:42 AM)kenthehood Wrote: you take life to seriously

Pointing out glaring racism and homophobia is hardly "taking life to [sic] seriously." When fans are - rightly - subjected to police action for arguably less direct occurrences, for a guy like Malky Mackay to be treated like some kind of footballing nice guy and for his chairman to make the comments he did is just brazen hypocrisy.

Wigan are a horrible club with horrible employees.

(11-29-2014, 05:21 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: Pointing out glaring racism and homophobia is hardly "taking life to [sic] seriously." When fans are - rightly - subjected to police action for arguably less direct occurrences, for a guy like Malky Mackay to be treated like some kind of footballing nice guy and for his chairman to make the comments he did is just brazen hypocrisy.

Wigan are a horrible club with horrible employees.

Have you ever been subjected to Racism or Homophobic comments?

(11-29-2014, 09:57 AM)kenthehood Wrote: Have you ever been subjected to Racism or Homophobic comments?

Yes. Not sure what the relevance of that is though.

just asking a question

I think that accusations of racism sometimes say more about the accuser than the accused.

"Jewish people love money" might mean "some Jewish people like money" just as easily as "all Jewish people like money". The generalisation is assumed by the accuser.

And it is the accuser who presumably thinks that loving money is a bad thing (unless compliments can also be racist?). Dave Whelan may well think that loving money is a good thing. Loving money may make people "hard working" which, according to politicians of all flavours, is "a good thing".

(12-14-2014, 12:22 PM)Wicky Wrote: I think that accusations of racism sometimes say more about the accuser than the accused.

"Jewish people love money" might mean "some Jewish people like money" just as easily as "all Jewish people like money". The generalisation is assumed by the accuser.

And it is the accuser who presumably thinks that loving money is a bad thing (unless compliments can also be racist?). Dave Whelan may well think that loving money is a good thing. Loving money may make people "hard working" which, according to politicians of all flavours, is "a good thing".

Nope, not having that. He said that "Jewish people chase money more than everybody else".

There's a negative stereotype that Jewish people are greedy moneygrabbing crooks. It might not be overtly anti-Semitic but Whelan was in the wrong and has been, justifiably, charged.

On a related note: Smearing Jews as greedy and chasing money was a big part of Hitler's anti-Semitic rhetoric, as well as being justification for pogroms in Russia/USSR. There's a poisonous element to such a stereotype.

I stand by my comment. There is obviously a big difference between "Jewish people love money" and "Jewish people are greedy moneygrabbing crooks". And I am not sure how you get to the latter from "Jewish people chase money more than everybody else".

It cannot be the case that all comments about Jews are now racist because of Hitler's anti-Semitism.

(12-15-2014, 10:37 AM)Wicky Wrote: I stand by my comment. There is obviously a big difference between "Jewish people love money" and "Jewish people are greedy moneygrabbing crooks". And I am not sure how you get to the latter from "Jewish people chase money more than everybody else".

It cannot be the case that all comments about Jews are now racist because of Hitler's anti-Semitism.

racism
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

While I've tried to stay out of this, what you've described is the very definition of racism, what you're arguing over is the degree and severity.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.