Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Play-off into SPFL in danger?
With 4 people being arrested by police today in relation to the sale of Rangers in 2011 this may throw into doubt the validity of the current team known as The Rangers.
If it is found that the sale of the assets of the oldco was in fact illegal where does that leave the the SPFL? do they suspend the play-off idea or do they go ahead and pretend that all is well in the world? after all the playoff was only introduced as an insurance policy in case The Rangers didn't win the 1st div/championship.
If the sale was illegal who owns the rights to The Rangers and Ibrox et al?
Although highly unlikely would the SFA/SPFL suspend The Rangers from all competitions until this mess is sorted out?

Not entirely sure why you think this has any bearing on the play-off's existence. Sure, it might affect what teams take part, but nothing more.

It's 2nd, 3rd & 4th that get to take part. If Rangers occupied one of these positions and were kicked out, then they'd probably just drop a round, or shunt everyone in the league up one place.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(11-14-2014, 06:20 PM)dawyckstag Wrote: With 4 people being arrested by police today in relation to the sale of Rangers in 2011 this may throw into doubt the validity of the current team known as The Rangers.
If it is found that the sale of the assets of the oldco was in fact illegal where does that leave the the SPFL? do they suspend the play-off idea or do they go ahead and pretend that all is well in the world? after all the playoff was only introduced as an insurance policy in case The Rangers didn't win the 1st div/championship.
If the sale was illegal who owns the rights to The Rangers and Ibrox et al?
Although highly unlikely would the SFA/SPFL suspend The Rangers from all competitions until this mess is sorted out?

I don't think that threatens the playoff, only 'The Rangers'.

Whatever the motivations for introducing the playoff, its been popular, and its been used to good effect by Hamilton. There is no way they could scrap it without opening a massive can of ugly politics (again) and accusations of everything being done to accommodate the Old Firm (again).

Not so sure re - the other queries, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't jeopardise the playoff. Especially as if The Rangers went bust, Hibs could more realistically take 2nd, and 'we' could potentially get the Edinburgh derby back in the top flight.

I was just throwing the scenario out there because it could have a bearing on County staying in the Premiership!
If The Rangers were suspended would the SPFL only promote and relagate one team to and from the premiership? and promote an extra team from 1st into championship and from 2nd into 1st and then bring in a new team?

(11-14-2014, 06:20 PM)dawyckstag Wrote: after all the playoff was only introduced as an insurance policy in case The Rangers didn't win the 1st div/championship.

Apart from when they were introduced when Rangers were still in League One.

I doubt this will have any bearing on Rangers or the SPFL. Clutching and straws spring to mind. If Rangers continue to exist but receive a suspension, then presumably the winner of the First Division play-off would play 11th? I doubt anything would change, other than Rangers not being involved in a play-off? As Spain says, just drop a round makes the most sense.

It's all guesswork anyway. The arrests appear to concern the sale of the club to Craig Whyte in 2011, and the resulting administration. IIRC, the administrators who were brought in had some previous relationship with Whyte. Mind you, if that sale was illegal, then does the transfer of assets from the old club to the 2012 version then become illegal? Or is it illegal anyway because they are, ahem, the same club? Or am I, as per, talking nonsense?

Im sure all this will make more sense with a bottle of Glenmorangie to hand.

Its going to be immaterial to RCFC as we will be 7th again.

(11-14-2014, 07:21 PM)Deas_pie_staggie Wrote: Im sure all this will make more sense with a bottle of Glenmorangie to hand.

Its going to be immaterial to RCFC as we will be 7th again.

I bet it didn't unless you hit the one year old barrels round the back of the still.
This thread comes with an agenda thrown in for free. As much as I've always hated the Huns with a passion, it's time to move on. They have had a continued EUFA coefficient throughout all this and that's good enough for me

(11-15-2014, 10:10 AM)Alfiesdad Wrote: This thread comes with an agenda thrown in for free. ...it's time to move on. They have had a continued EUFA coefficient throughout all this and that's good enough for me

I agree with the general jist of what you're saying. I feel the OP is more about having a pop at rangers than Ross County's possible prospects in a play off, and as a club who are not unfamiliar with financial trouble i take no pleasure in the trouble others are in. As always it is the average supporters of teams who are left to suffer.

UEFA have continued the coefficient as you say so that's good enough for me too.

Surely this should not be in The Jailend section? This has no direct bearing on County, as mentioned above it will only affect rangers if it comes to pass, I don't understand the relevance to us?

(11-15-2014, 10:10 AM)Alfiesdad Wrote: They have had a continued EUFA coefficient throughout all this

Incorrect
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013