Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Edinburgh City vs Ross County Old Boys XI (aka Brora Rangers)
It's not strictly Ross County, but tomorrow sees Brora head to the capital to take on Edinburgh City in the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup at Meadowbank Stadium. They're both top of their respective leagues, and could even meet in a play-off for promotion to the SPFL in the spring.

By my count, and with the help of Wikipedia, I think Brora have five ex-County players on their books (Joe Malin, Ross Tokely, Adam Porritt, Grant Munro and of course, Stuart Kettlewell).

Ketts managed to get himself sent off last week after coming on as a sub, so may or may not be suspended tomorrow.

In the absence of a County game this weekend, the Central Staggies are heading along for a day out. We'll be in the Safari Lounge in Abbeyhill a bit after 12:00. Thought I'd flag it up for anyone else in the area who's at a loose end tomorrow. Feel free to say hello.

(10-31-2014, 11:39 PM)Forfinn Wrote: It's not strictly Ross County, but tomorrow sees Brora head to the capital to take on Edinburgh City in the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup at Meadowbank Stadium. They're both top of their respective leagues, and could even meet in a play-off for promotion to the SPFL in the spring.

By my count, and with the help of Wikipedia, I think Brora have five ex-County players on their books (Joe Malin, Ross Tokely, Adam Porritt, Grant Munro and of course, Stuart Kettlewell).

Ketts managed to get himself sent off last week after coming on as a sub, so may or may not be suspended tomorrow.

In the absence of a County game this weekend, the Central Staggies are heading along for a day out. We'll be in the Safari Lounge in Abbeyhill a bit after 12:00. Thought I'd flag it up for anyone else in the area who's at a loose end tomorrow. Feel free to say hello.

Make that six, super steven(sid)mckay. Has scored over 100 goals for Brora, we could do with a few of his goals right now.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

(10-31-2014, 11:39 PM)Forfinn Wrote: It's not strictly Ross County, but tomorrow sees Brora head to the capital to take on Edinburgh City in the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup at Meadowbank Stadium. They're both top of their respective leagues, and could even meet in a play-off for promotion to the SPFL in the spring.

Steven Mackay.
OOPS! Crossed post there, well spotted Murray.
Where is Richie Hart now?,

Pretty sure Hart is still there?
Plus Golabek, coach I think.

(11-01-2014, 10:17 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Pretty sure Hart is still there?
Plus Golabek, coach I think.

Not sure is Hart still there but Alan Duff is a coach.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

I'd completely forgotten that Steven Mackay started out with us, so make that six former Ross County players, and of course Stuart Golabek, who I would have spotted had I looked at the coaching setup!

Wikipedia suggests Richie Hart still plays for Brora, but he's not on the Brora website, and Wiki does say he signed a two year deal in 2012. Looks like that might have expired, he's left, but no one's updated Wikipedia.

Davie Kirkwood too in a way.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

I thought Richie Hart was focusing more on his job now than his football?

I'm in a bit of a conflict about Brora.

On one hand, Ketts! Munro! These are great guys who I really enjoyed watching at Ross County and wish them every success.

On the other hand, their chairman comes out with guff like this, after the North of Scotland Cup win a couple of weeks ago:

“Elgin, to my opinion today, were very disappointing. They are really a Highland League team and if that is the standard of League 2 we have nothing really to worry about.”

It's one thing to put down a rival like that. It's another to not acknowledge that Elgin had a 500 mile round trip to play Berwick the day before! Six of who started against Brora started in the previous day and the whole squad was involved in both matches. Brora had eight days to prepare.

I've only seen Brora live once this season (and wrote about it here). I thought then that they were missing someone like Hart or Kettlewell to drive on from the middle of the park, which would turn them into a really good team. If Kettlewell is healthy enough by the end of the season then I think they could go up to and at the very least consolidate in League 2.

Would like nothing better than a short trip to Dudgeon Park when the draw is made tomorrow but have a hunch that we might well land with a local derby of a different sort.

I hope we avoid Brora!
Is there a list of teams involved anywhere?
Hoping for a good awayday, somewhere different for a change, HL or other non league would be fine (except Brora).

Sadly, with the defeat of Nairn County, Brora are the only Highland League team in the hat.

A Fife away day please.

It was a decent game yesterday, well worth the £8 to get in. Brora probably should have scored a couple more.

I'd take Annan or Spartans away in the next round.

(11-02-2014, 07:38 PM)staggy4life Wrote: I'd take Annan or Spartans away in the next round.

That would do nicely! Never been to either, bring it on!