Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Ross County Midfield - Is this area the problem rather than our defence?
Photo 
Since the start of the season I've suggested that our main issue is our midfield and the fact we seem quite weak in this department.

According to Derek Adams, we signed players who can play in both midfield and defence ie - Jordi Balk, Tim Dreesen and Ben Frempah. Since the departure we have also signed Michael Gardyne and Jackson Irvine who can also be deployed in this area.

So, I'm asking the people on this forum, especially John from THHP to tell me what our best option would be in the Ross County engine room. I'm asking this as I honestly feel this is where our problem is. Yes our defence is not the best, but if they had more protection in front of them, then maybe they wouldn't come under such intense pressure which must make it extremely tough to play in that defence.

We have the following players who can play in midfield - so, you are now in charge, what would you do with that midfield?

I'll start the ball rolling with my starting eleven:

---------------------------Brown-------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
Balk------------Frempah----------Boyd------------Barr
----------------------Kiss--------Irvine------------------
Gardyne-------------------------------------------Carey
---------------------Arquin-------------------------------
------------------------------De Leeuw------------------

Subs: Boyce, Jervis, Cardle, Dreesen, Quinn, Brittain, Reguero

Enough quality in that side, and no excuse for them not to at least get a point against Dundee!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

so far there seems to have been a problem with defenders, especially full-backs being caught out of position and gifting space for crosses and shots.

Midfielders should be involved in defending and are not absolved, but it seems to me more that the defenders have been shoofly.
Soz Jim'n'Billy

I agree and I'm not saying they are not part of the problem, I just think if we sorted out that midfield and had better shape then maybe it would take the pressure of the back four!

Yesterday, I was quite high up and looking down on the team, the midfield doesn't appear to keep it's shape, it gets dragged around and chases the ball rather than the individuals sticking to their man/runner.

Far too easy for teams to walk through our midfield at the moment - and Fenlon is not the answer at right back, and for me, Carey is wasted at left back!

Don't know if it's worth trying Barr at right back and Frempah at left back and have Balk and Boyd in the middle?

Barr - Frempah - Boyd - Carey

That's our best back four. Although Carey is wasted at LB, he's still our best option.

Frempah is a dominant centre half who loves tackling and heading, why would you play him at left back?
I wasn't very impressed with Barr at centre half yesterday, more so last Saturday when he played right back.

(09-21-2014, 03:52 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: So, I'm asking the people on this forum, especially John from THHP to tell me what our best option would be in the Ross County engine room.

How would I know?

There are big problems throughout the team. There isn't a magic combination.

(09-21-2014, 05:53 PM)IDW16 Wrote: Barr - Frempah - Boyd - Carey

That's our best back four. Although Carey is wasted at LB, he's still our best option.
Yup. Barr has to be ahead of Fenlon every single week. I hope we go with this back 4 for a run of games and then gradually give Celver another chance at LB to get Carey further forward. This changing the defence around every single game helps nobody.

Back four of Barr - Boyd - Frempah - Carey is probably the best that we've got at the moment.

Irvine and Kiss are our two best central midfield. I'm not convinced of Brittain this season, he's been very poor. Quinn is nowhere near SPL level and I genuinely think Ross would offer more than Quinn.

Have we seen Balk in centre midfield this season? He looked decent there in pre-season. A midfield trio of Irvine, Balk and Kiss should be a big improvement on what we currently have.

Basically I'm unsure where we go from here - started this thread to see what others thought, after watching the highlights - it's seriously worrying! Was at the game, but seeing it close up and in slow motion, ooft we have issues!

I think Ross may be worth a stab in midfield - can't do any worse than what is there at the moment!!

I'm hoping that JM and BD will find some combination that works??

Maybe Hibs game will give them a chance to try others?!

I'm sure McIntyre will be advising Roy of any unattached players we can bring in.

If it had been affordable, and when we had the chance of getting them, Oikonomou, Songo'o, Cikos Huh

(09-21-2014, 03:52 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: Since the start of the season I've suggested that our main issue is our midfield and the fact we seem quite weak in this department.

According to Derek Adams, we signed players who can play in both midfield and defence ie - Jordi Balk, Tim Dreesen and Ben Frempah. Since the departure we have also signed Michael Gardyne and Jackson Irvine who can also be deployed in this area.

So, I'm asking the people on this forum, especially John from THHP to tell me what our best option would be in the Ross County engine room. I'm asking this as I honestly feel this is where our problem is. Yes our defence is not the best, but if they had more protection in front of them, then maybe they wouldn't come under such intense pressure which must make it extremely tough to play in that defence.

We have the following players who can play in midfield - so, you are now in charge, what would you do with that midfield?

I'll start the ball rolling with my starting eleven:

---------------------------Brown-------------------------
Balk------------Frempah----------Boyd------------Barr
----------------------Kiss--------Irvine------------------
Gardyne-------------------------------------------Carey
---------------------Arquin-------------------------------
------------------------------De Leeuw------------------

Subs: Boyce, Jervis, Cardle, Dreesen, Quinn, Brittain, Reguero

Enough quality in that side, and no excuse for them not to at least get a point against Dundee!

Against Motherwell the team was okay,in first half we should have been at least 2goals up with chances made, Boyce needs to be on earlier, Arquan needs a talking to he looks like he actually takes the huff,switches on and off, Jodie balk did alright
Frempha good player but not a CB ,if we get team and formation we had against Motherwell against his tues night we will win

(09-21-2014, 08:25 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Against Motherwell the team was okay,in first half we should have been at least 2goals up with chances made, Boyce needs to be on earlier, Arquan needs a talking to he looks like he actually takes the huff,switches on and off, Jodie balk did alright
Frempha good player but not a CB ,if we get team and formation we had against Motherwell against his tues night we will win

Just got crack from wee gogs. Paccca. Jervis has had over a dozen clubs, tells you something, if you want crack go Pacca Brewster Steven Craig grant Munro. Rocco balmier loads of guys

(09-21-2014, 08:25 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Frempha good player but not a CB

But he is a CB, where else would you play him? I thought you were impressed by him on Tuesday v Celtic, I thought he was our best player by a distance.

Frempah from what I've seen is probably our best CB - but I'm sure Derek said that all these guys could play across the back four and in midfield - anyway, I think he's best placed at CB as he seems the best we have in the air!!

The thing that I've not seen since Elgin was Balk played in the holding midfield role, that day he was spaying balls all over the park, reading the game well and was solid!!

Anyway - hopefully JM and BD will get this right!

(09-21-2014, 08:37 PM)StuartTaylor Wrote: But he is a CB, where else would you play him? I thought you were impressed by him on Tuesday v Celtic, I thought he was our best player by a distance.

Stuart you saw him bomb up and down left side playing in left back position,or am I mixing up names,
Who was the big guy beside Miller in middle
Small guy hair tied up and colored is that him, that's who I take as him,what I thought,if he played there LB it allows Carey to move into midfield,or down wing,then Cardle can move to right, just a thought, but going back to Motherwell game,I thought the team and formation were good,why did they change it,

(09-21-2014, 07:26 PM)StuartTaylor Wrote: I'm sure McIntyre will be advising Roy of any unattached players we can bring in.

If it had been affordable, and when we had the chance of getting them, Oikonomou, Songo'o, Cikos Huh

I can't see any players of the required quality being brought in before January. Given that the three brought in at the last minute have started (and finished) the last two games then its possible that they were actually selected by JM?

Although there are issues with the players that arrived in the summer the nucleus of the squad are proven SPFL performers (albeit different levels of quality). No point in wondering what could have been, the management have to work with what they've inherited. That means employing an effective formation, selecting the most appropriate players, motivating the squad and adjusting tactics when situations demand. If everyone does their best then that's all we can ask.

Ripping the players to shreds will not move anything forward. Nobody wants to play badly, especially with TV cameras and friends and family watching.
Hear Me Roar!

(09-21-2014, 09:01 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Stuart you saw him bomb up and down left side playing in left back position,or am I mixing up names,
Small guy hair tied up and colored is that him, that's who I take as him,what I thought,if he played there LB it allows Carey to move into midfield,or down wing,then Cardle can move to right, just a thought, but going back to Motherwell game,I thought the team and formation were good,why did they change it,

Ok, you're thinking of Rosario Latouchent, left back.
Ben Frempah was the CB beside Miller who headed and tackled everything that came near him.

Frempah should be straight into the first team alongside Boyd.
Latouchent, I'm not sure, great going forward, very skillful, can beat a player, but defensively at Premiership level might have a hard time, never know until we try him I suppose.

(09-21-2014, 09:01 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Stuart you saw him bomb up and down left side playing in left back position,or am I mixing up names,

Think that may be Latouchent you are talking about - Frempah has really short hair, Latouchent has a heid like a pineapple ;0)

(09-21-2014, 09:14 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: Think that may be Latouchent you are talking about - Frempah has really short hair, Latouchent has a heid like a pineapple ;0)

I'm being informed by Hamish Munro ,Rosiaro was guy with hair tied up,and Frempha was in the middle, yes Stuart get Frempha in beside Boyd, but were you not impressed with the left back too, I thought he was tremendous up and down the wing,and me telling everyone he was Frempha, now have to go back and explain
But getting back to what you say,I was very impressed with number five,whom I now know as Frempha thanks big man,

tl;dr post

The lack of a settled back four is certainly an issue but I'd agree that the midfield has been the main problem, to an extent.

We've seen 6 different back four combinations starting in 7 league games. Throw in the fact that both goalkeepers have played then been dropped, then reinstated, and you've got yourself a problem. McIntyre needs to be decisive and just go for a back four and stick with it. We're hamstrung by Celcer being hopeless but the only viable option at left-back for the time being. Barr should be guaranteed the right-back position.

On to the midfield. We know County will be playing a variation of 4231/433/4411:

Carey needs to start on the left. His delivery is excellent and he can take his man on (and beat him!). Cardle is frustratingly predictable and not as good as Carey is. However, I have an awful feeling that Cardle will be McIntyre's blind spot.

The two centre midfielders? I'm a big fan of Kiss: he's a match winner on his day and is obviously the most talented centre midfielder in the squad. He was sold as a midfield enforcer who can sit in front of the back four but we've seen him playing in a more advanced role. If Irvine can sit in front of the back four and act like Kettlewell did, then I think those two could strike up a decent partnership. Unfortunately, I don't think Quinn is good enough.

What about the right hand side? Brittain has made that position his own and he does a reasonable job but he played his best football in the SPL with Sproule next to him and Kovacevic bombing forward. He's fine out on the right in a flat 4-4-1-1 but if County go more attacking then he isn't suited to that role. Maatsen is an option as a winger but he's not had enough game time and when he has played, he's been inconsistent to say the least. That leaves Arquin? He's better as a centre forward but against Kilmarnock the three of Arquin/De Leeuw/Carey linked up very well.

The "#10" role? De Leeuw. No question.

So, in theory, here's my four teams:

Reguero/Brown
Barr Boyd Dreesen/Frempah Celcer
Brittain Irvine Kiss Carey
De Leeuw
Arquin

Reguero/Brown
Irvine Kiss
Maatsen De Leeuw Carey
Arquin

Reguero/Brown
Irvine Kiss
Arquin De Leeuw Carey
Boyce

Reguero/Brown
Irvine
Kiss Carey
Arquin Boyce De Leeuw

There's obvious consistencies in those teams. The only real issue is the right-hand side.

Confidence is fragile and this affects everyone and everything I suspect.

You could suggest that Kiss would have scored a couple of goals v Aberdeen if he had been in Quinn's place, but he may be just as affected by the general wobbliness as Quinn for all we know.
Soz Jim'n'Billy