Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3 Average
Adams
Pretty gutted it has come down to a sacking.

I think it was always heading in this direction, but am very surprised at the timing of it. Firstly, strange time of the week, you'd expect it to have been after the Dundee United game and now means if Ferguson/Brittain want to change anything ahead of Saturday they have very little time. Secondly, I thought he would probably have got the first 9/10 games of the season before anything happened.

Derek has done some great things at this club which we need to remember. Unfortunately, his negative points will more than likely be the focus amongst some fans and the media.

Derek has brought this club on further than anybody. Scottish Cup final, winning the 1st Division with ease and SPL football (and keeping us there for a third consecutive season) are all tremendous achievements. The 12 month plus, 40 game unbeaten run however is incredible. For any manager to achieve this, at any level, is such a huge thing.

Derek should go down in the County history books as a great servant to the club.

I knew he wasn't particularly liked around the country but after a look at the thread on Pie & Bovril it seems I underestimated other's feelings

(08-28-2014, 10:57 AM)Exiled Staggie Wrote: Agreed. I see no reason for rushing into a new appointment(s). Give these lads a chance for 5/6 games.
Maybe more likely that Steven Ferguson will get the job, as he did with Derek when Campbell was sacked.
I imagine Barry Wison's name will be mentioned by press,especially as he is local.
(Just speculating!)

(08-28-2014, 11:33 AM)theweehighlander Wrote: Is everyone who is calling for Butcher joking? Butcher has been sacked from every job he has taken because his record is terrible. Inverness was his only exception. Did nobody watch Hibs plummet when he took over? Also you think everyone in Scottish football hated Derek, sure they all just love Butcher.... I wouldnt want him anywhere near our club.

He had a good record at Motherwell as well,but he is on record saying he was finished working in Scotland,unless someone knows better?

Strange decision this early in the season. Whoever takes over will have a nightmare of a task working with players they didn't sign, and a small squad at that. Not sure who could do a better job on such a small budget. Things must have been going wrong behind the scenes for Roy to pull the plug this early. Derek has done a brilliant job at getting County where they are, and I am sad it has ended like this. Best of luck to Derek and his Dad wherever they go next (I reckon DA will head away from Scotland to a club with greater resources). I hope people will remember Derek's successes when we are relegated (sooner rather than later, I suspect). In the mean time, I will back the interim team, and hope they manage to turn things around on the park. See you at Hamilton!

Bit shocked by this really; he finally gets a win and then gets sacked! Who knows what its really about. I too want to thank Derek for the fantastic journey he has taken us on those past few years, and I have to agree with him that he had County punching above their weight. So thanks for all that, and all the best for the future.

I can't believe the timing of this. 4 games into the new season with 10 new players and only a few days left of the transfer window.
We now have no manager and a board who have no idea where to turn next. If they were thinking about this a few weeks ago then a replacement should have been sounded out.
We now have relegation written all over us.

Adams was the best manager we have had. Some say he has taken us as far as he can and I would agree but with our small budget could anyone do any better? Looking at who is available, I fear not. Do some people think that we should be challenging for Europe regulaly? Adams remit should be to keep us up as a minimum and he has not failed that yet. A decision like this should have been made before the start of the season.

I am shocked and maybe just being pessemistic but I think we will now go down and have to rebuild.
Hopefully I'm wrong.

As for Derek, I think he will go on to bigger things and eventually end up in the English Premiership. Now, I don't think he will be anywhere near as successful as Alex Ferguson but he was also disliked mainly for being a pain in the neck, never giving up and getting the very best out of his players. I think Adams also displays these qualities and will prove it.
Successful managers are not successful by being nice to everyone.
SHIRT NUMBER 34.

(formerly named Geordieland Staggie).

Registered member since March 2003.

Working in London this week and got a text from one of the development squads parents first thing - jaw hit the ground? Did not expect that at all - that the Adams family were bulletproof at County?

Danny Lennon seems interested, sure there will be more - defo not Butcher, don't think he'd come back up here to his previous rivals!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

It goes without saying that Derek & George have done great things for the club. Wish them all the best, but that doesn't mean this wasn't the right decision. It's probably too early to judge on that, but I think the timing makes it clear that this is about more than results on the park.

But the fact that Adams has continually refused to start our clear best player for some absurd reason certainly helped sour me on him. It's fair & well to say he was looking for his best team, but you'd think there'd be a place for De Leeuw in that best team.

(08-28-2014, 09:54 PM)staggie34 Wrote: As for Derek, I think he will go on to bigger things and eventually end up in the English Premiership. Now, I don't think he will be anywhere near as successful as Alex Ferguson but he was also disliked mainly for being a pain in the neck, never giving up and getting the very best out of his players. I think Adams also displays these qualities and will prove it.
Successful managers are not successful by being nice to everyone.

To compare any modern day manager to Alex Ferguson is bonkers. Alex Ferguson was probably the last to get away with that style of management in the modern day. Football has changed a lot and for anyone to model themselves on the Alex style of management will fail in the modern game.

Adams asked for a certain kind of selflessness in his players - much as Roy Hodgson does from what I gather. Quite a few players have had a pop at his training methods which are, by all accounts, quite repetitive. I'm inclined to totally ignore whatever Joe Malin has to say on the matter. He was quite happy to pick up a wage for sitting on his [censored] every Saturday - and in fact renewed his contract under Adams. A wounded ego, I suspect.

That said, the teams he selected have long since stopped making sense to me. De Leeuw being one of them, Klok another. The reluctance to play Boyce/Arquin and De Leeuw. Playing Balk in midfield in pre-season then centre half in the league. There's been no continuity of selection for a while, and while rotation is a part of the game, a lot has to be said for stability too.

In short, I'm torn between this being an awful decision and a case of biting the bullet. The next appointment is essential, obviously, but I fully expect us to be relegated.

Except lots of people leave lots of clubs without ending up as bitter as many of the people who have left Ross County in the Derek Adams era. You can't just handwave it away as normal behaviour of a football manager because in the 21st century it isn't.

(08-29-2014, 12:39 PM)forkboy Wrote: Except lots of people leave lots of clubs without ending up as bitter as many of the people who have left Ross County in the Derek Adams era. You can't just handwave it away as normal behaviour of a football manager because in the 21st century it isn't.

And lots of people have left Ross County without becoming bitter about it. I really don't see this as anything other than wounded egos.

(08-29-2014, 12:39 PM)forkboy Wrote: Except lots of people leave lots of clubs without ending up as bitter as many of the people who have left Ross County in the Derek Adams era. You can't just handwave it away as normal behaviour of a football manager because in the 21st century it isn't.

Hiya Pal!! Welcome to the madhoose.

By all accounts Derek was a c*nt of a manager to work under. What we do know is in recent times:

Michael Fraser was told by text he wasnt getting a contract.
Kettlewell apparently found out from the papers.
Neale Cooper was on holiday when he got told completely out of the blue.

Now that is not right. It stinks of bad man management and clearly a lack of compassion for his players & staff. Call it a "management style" if you want, but it was ultimately the undoing of him.

With regards to George Adams, his contacts book has been out of print for years and I cannot see what he brought to the table. Mind you I've been saying this for years only to be told to shut up.

(08-29-2014, 01:11 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Kettlewell apparently found out from the papers.

Don't know about the others, but that one isn't accurate.

Not keen on putting what I've heard here, but what happened wasnt great, but not as bad as that.

(08-29-2014, 01:32 PM)staggie1746 Wrote: Don't know about the others, but that one isn't accurate.

Not keen on putting what I've heard here, but what happened wasnt great, but not as bad as that.

The clue is in the word "apparently" my friend. Are you going to enlighten us?

(08-29-2014, 11:15 AM)wemyss77 Wrote: To compare any modern day manager to Alex Ferguson is bonkers. Alex Ferguson was probably the last to get away with that style of management in the modern day. Football has changed a lot and for anyone to model themselves on the Alex style of management will fail in the modern game.

Got to agree wemys different era

(08-28-2014, 08:53 PM)doninblue Wrote: Strange decision this early in the season. Whoever takes over will have a nightmare of a task working with players they didn't sign, and a small squad at that. Not sure who could do a better job on such a small budget. Things must have been going wrong behind the scenes for Roy to pull the plug this early. Derek has done a brilliant job at getting County where they are, and I am sad it has ended like this. Best of luck to Derek and his Dad wherever they go next (I reckon DA will head away from Scotland to a club with greater resources). I hope people will remember Derek's successes when we are relegated (sooner rather than later, I suspect). In the mean time, I will back the interim team, and hope they manage to turn things around on the park. See you at Hamilton!

It's not all about the manager Roy Macgreggor finest chairman we've ver had and greatly responsible for taking us to where we are

(08-29-2014, 01:36 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: The clue is in the word "apparently" my friend. Are you going to enlighten us?

"Apparently" it was more along the lines of Ketts asking George what the script was so he knew what his options were, and George pretty much dismissing him with a one-liner. Then all the "Thanks Ketts" stuff came out in the paper, but the management didn't bother to say any of that to his face. "Apparently" Confused

All tempered by the club looking after Ketts after his contract expired etc., so the situation is not/wasnt as bad as being painted in some quarters. Although I wouldn't have been very happy with the relationship ending like that (if indeed it did). That's aside from Ketts being a bit of a hero to a lot of folk, you could have expected it to be dealt with better than I've alleged here.

As you can tell from the amount of disclaimers, I'm not very comfortable spreading the gossip! But my heads all a bit melted with this, so I'm trying to make sense of it all...

(08-29-2014, 12:02 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: Working in London this week and got a text from one of the development squads parents first thing - jaw hit the ground? Did not expect that at all - that the Adams family were bulletproof at County?

Danny Lennon seems interested, sure there will be more - defo not Butcher, don't think he'd come back up here to his previous rivals!

Hi everyone how about a wee competition see who's gets the next manager spot on
I've barred myself Because I know:;::::

(08-29-2014, 02:43 PM)staggie1746 Wrote: "Apparently" it was more along the lines of Ketts asking George what the script was so he knew what his options were, and George pretty much dismissing him with a one-liner. Then all the "Thanks Ketts" stuff came out in the paper, but the management didn't bother to say any of that to his face. "Apparently" Confused

All tempered by the club looking after Ketts after his contract expired etc., so the situation is not/wasnt as bad as being painted in some quarters. Although I wouldn't have been very happy with the relationship ending like that (if indeed it did). That's aside from Ketts being a bit of a hero to a lot of folk, you could have expected it to be dealt with better than I've alleged here.

As you can tell from the amount of disclaimers, I'm not very comfortable spreading the gossip! But my heads all a bit melted with this, so I'm trying to make sense of it all...

I've just sold that to the North Star for a £10 and a fish supper.... Wink

(08-29-2014, 05:02 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: I've just sold that to the North Star for a £10 and a fish supper.... Wink

Where's the fish supper from?