Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scottish Football
Lawwell, Topping appointed to Scottish FA main board
Wednesday, 30 July 2014

The Scottish FA can confirm that both Peter Lawwell, the Celtic Chief Executive, and Ralph Topping, the Scottish Professional Football League Chairman, have been appointed to the main Board of the Scottish FA after nomination by the Professional Game Board.

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive: “We are delighted to welcome Ralph back to the main Board, having already benefitted from Peter’s wealth of experience in the past year. I am sure both will play key roles as we enter the next phase of our strategic plan, Scotland United: A 2020 Vision.”

Neil Doncaster, SPFL Chief Executive: “Ralph Topping will be stepping down from the William Hill Board on 1st August. He will therefore have much more time to devote to the professional game. We are delighted that Peter Lawwell and Ralph Topping have been unanimously elected by the Professional Game Board to serve the professional game on the main board of the Scottish FA.”

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish...wsCategoryID=1

The Professional Game Board is comprised of:

Stewart Regan
Campbell Ogilvie
Alan McRae
Rod Petrie
Neil Doncaster
Peter Lawwell
Dr Andrew Waddell
Sandy Stables
Michael Johnston
Bill Darroch
Duncan Fraser

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish...7&newsID=12443

Hamilton return to the top flight but are only able to attract 1600 fans to their first home game. This tells you a lot about what is wrong with the national game.
It is overpriced when comparing admission prices and quality of football. This will hinder the attempts to attract the casual or young fans. £20 to get into New Douglas Park? It's crap.
Another problem is that the biggest prize in Scottish football is totally uncompetitive. Celtic will win every league title unless Rangers can sort out their mess. This does not help to attract fans. Thankfully, the cup competitions are competitive.
In the long term, I think it would be best if the Old Firm left to join the English set up. Why Rangers didn't take the opportunity 2 years ago? It would make the Spl more competitive and interesting. More prize money would find it's way to more clubs. More clubs would get European experience. The old firm would benefit from the more competitive English game and would attract a huge following both home and away there.
The more competitive Spl would help develop young players and gather interest.
Another problem is that pundits/media totally overate the quality of the Scottish game. The national team comes under pressure when it can't beat teams like Czech Republic when the gulf in quality is obvious. Scotland is not producing any quality young players for international standards and the SFA and media haven't moved on from 1978.
SHIRT NUMBER 34.

(formerly named Geordieland Staggie).

Registered member since March 2003.

Scottish football doesn't help its self with the prices they charge, just heard that it is £42 FOR A TICKET TO THE NEXT GAME no wonder people are not supporting the main team so much

Just as I thought, the Championship is turning out to be a one horse race

(09-29-2014, 09:54 PM)kenthehood Wrote: Just as I thought, the Championship is turning out to be a one horse race

You expected Hearts to run away with it?

I didn't. Rangers and Hibs have both picked up in the last month and I still think it'll be close between those 3 by the end of the season.

Still can't believe 3 of Scotland's 5 biggest clubs are in the second tier.

(11-03-2014, 05:48 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: You expected Hearts to run away with it?

I didn't. Rangers and Hibs have both picked up in the last month and I still think it'll be close between those 3 by the end of the season.

I see Strachan's comments that the rules should be manipulated to allow all 3 to go up for next season, ridiculous

(11-04-2014, 08:56 AM)Roccos Wheelie Bin Wrote: I see Strachan's comments that the rules should be manipulated to allow all 3 to go up for next season, ridiculous

Yeah that is ridiculous, but it's not good for Scottish football for there to be 3 clubs as big as Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the second tier.

(11-03-2014, 05:48 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: You expected Hearts to run away with it?

yes I did, having seen them 4 times last season it made good sense to take the 5/1 on offer at the start of the season.

(11-04-2014, 08:56 AM)Roccos Wheelie Bin Wrote: I see Strachan's comments that the rules should be manipulated to allow all 3 to go up for next season, ridiculous

Unbelievable, totally out of order comments from STRACHAN (little N…F)
Thankfully he is the Scotland Manager and not running Scottish football in general, although he would like to be.
What would you like GURdon?
Your very own GURdon select ted top 12 teams in the SPL, with no relegation?
Allow teams to run riot with their finances, as in the case of Rangers and Hearts, leaving many businesses with thousands of pounds in unpaid bills.
It does not matter how big or small the club is, they reach the top division on merit, because they win the lower league and earn promotion.
Quite simply GURdon! if that method ceased to exist (as you seem to be suggesting) I for one would give up watching football.
It’s bad enough in the Champions league, the farcical ridiculous scenario where teams get knocked out and the have the luxury of entering the Europa league!

I just hope Queen Of The South can have a late surge and win the league, with Raith Rovers as runners up.
Immoral Cow Den Bender

(11-05-2014, 01:16 AM)Cit Reath Wrote: Unbelievable, totally out of order comments from STRACHAN (little N…F)
Thankfully he is the Scotland Manager and not running Scottish football in general, although he would like to be.
What would you like GURdon?
Your very own GURdon select ted top 12 teams in the SPL, with no relegation?
Allow teams to run riot with their finances, as in the case of Rangers and Hearts, leaving many businesses with thousands of pounds in unpaid bills.
It does not matter how big or small the club is, they reach the top division on merit, because they win the lower league and earn promotion.
Quite simply GURdon! if that method ceased to exist (as you seem to be suggesting) I for one would give up watching football.
It’s bad enough in the Champions league, the farcical ridiculous scenario where teams get knocked out and the have the luxury of entering the Europa league!

I just hope Queen Of The South can have a late surge and win the league, with Raith Rovers as runners up.

I find it crazy that the SPFL have felt the need to respond, like it was actually under some kind of consideration. I think most people outside the central belt would be done with Scottish football if this occurred

(11-05-2014, 08:25 AM)Roccos Wheelie Bin Wrote: I find it crazy that the SPFL have felt the need to respond, like it was actually under some kind of consideration. I think most people outside the central belt would be done with Scottish football if this occurred

Agreed!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

After another hiding in Europe will celtic blame everyone else again?

Here's a good article, click below.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/spo...ar_twitter

BBC Radio Scotland ,today 06/04/2016 John Beattie show.
General welcome of Rangers back to the top flight.
Yep, fair do's they got there.
However, my GRUMP is the other Scottish Football NUMPTY, his name, title, is so irrelevant it escapes me.
Would like to see , Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee united? in the top league.
I got the impression, he would like to hand pick them, and keep them there.
No mention of the others?
For the love of ! get a grip and face reality, YOU CLOWN!
At least John Beattie mentioned County .
Rant over,
But just sick and fed up of listening to these CLOWNS.
PS as Franks post above, if rangers fail to make Europe next season, it will be the rest of Scottish football's fault.
Immoral Cow Den Bender

The Championship has had TV coverage on Sportscene all season, and daily mentions on Sportsound. We know why.
Wonder if it will be the same next season??

Hmmm!! I wonder? I fully expect that Dun Utd will get the odd mention on Sportscene and maybe goals from their games but not full highlights and you'll definetely not see a 2 page spread on a championship game in the Monday papers next season!!
The Scottish sports media will have hated going round the lower leagues this last 4 years and will be delighted to be in Glasgow most weekends.

(04-09-2016, 12:47 PM)dawyckstag Wrote: Hmmm!! I wonder? I fully expect that Dun Utd will get the odd mention on Sportscene and maybe goals from their games but not full highlights and you'll definetely not see a 2 page spread on a championship game in the Monday papers next season!!
The Scottish sports media will have hated going round the lower leagues this last 4 years and will be delighted to be in Glasgow most weekends.

And the newspapers wonder why their sales are dropping?
Immoral Cow Den Bender

And listening to the radio after yesterday's game it seems like there'll only be 4 games next sesaon!!

Well social media was a struggle at the week end but guess what it is very quiet Tonight. Not looking forward to all the old firm crap next year and sure as we will get caught up in some part of the madness.