Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 2 Average
New signings, re-signings, and confirmed departures
Not really arsed about his wages, but really don't understand the widespread joy about keeping him. Has been rank rotten for a number of years now.

(05-18-2018, 02:34 PM)FilthyStaggie Wrote: How do you find it staggering that we've kept a striker from last season on reduced wages?

As mentioned...due to his wages being monumental for the Championship. There's no way Championship revenue can pay wages like that, so it's clearly bank rolling it. Some may not have a problem with that, which is fine, but I find it a shame as now is a perfect opportunity to get away from the 'money will fix' it attitude that has been prevalent at the club over the last few years.

My personal view...no need to batter me for it.

(05-18-2018, 02:27 PM)StaggiesAwayFromHome Wrote: Because he was on a fair bit as it was. I do know that he has accepted reduced terms, as anyone else who stays will, but unless he has monumentally reduced what he was on (unlikely), he'll be on a staggering amount for a Scottish Championship player.

These are facts. This is conjecture.

Less...there's no questioning that. But compared to what other strikers in the Championship will be getting.....jeez. Also conjecture, probable and possible... but also conjecture

FTFY.

Anyway, I'd called it long ago that McKay would stay regardless. His reputation is tarnished after all these relegations and his easiest route back up is to stick it out, score a barrel-load in the Championship and help drag us back up. Providing it's not a pittance then it's a no brainer for him.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(05-18-2018, 02:55 PM)Spain Wrote: Anyway, I'd called it long ago that McKay would stay regardless. His reputation is tarnished after all these relegations and his easiest route back up is to stick it out, score a barrel-load in the Championship and help drag us back up. Providing it's not a pittance then it's a no brainer for him.

I'd agree with this. As for whether it's good to spend lots of money on players and pass up the opportunity to rebuild from the ground up, I think there's a balance to be found.

I think the signs point towards Mckay being a very useful player at Championship level. He's had a poor few years, but has recently had regular game time with us. Get a proper pre-season under his belt and I think he'll be a force to be reckoned with next season.

Combine signings like that, which are possible because of Roy's philanthropy, with some promising youngsters, a team that plays with style and panache, and that sounds like "the Ross County Way" to me.

We could release all the players from last season and sign randoms from the lower leagues and England on much lower wages, but in doing so you could wave goodbye to any chance of an immediate return to the top flight.

(05-18-2018, 02:41 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Not really arsed about his wages, but really don't understand the widespread joy about keeping him. Has been rank rotten for a number of years now.

Hurray we agree on something yes you are spot on

(05-18-2018, 02:52 PM)StaggiesAwayFromHome Wrote: As mentioned...due to his wages being monumental for the Championship. There's no way Championship revenue can pay wages like that, so it's clearly bank rolling it. Some may not have a problem with that, which is fine, but I find it a shame as now is a perfect opportunity to get away from the 'money will fix' it attitude that has been prevalent at the club over the last few years.

My personal view...no need to batter me for it.

This is Billy Mackay you're talking about, not Neymar.

(, 10:33 AM)FilthyStaggie Wrote: This is Billy Mackay you're talking about, not Neymar.

The latter isn’t really enjoying his time in Paris, maybe he’d fancy a spell in the highlands? Might have to take a slight wage cut, but I’m sure the club could strike a deal with the Wimpy, as an incentive!

Some people would still find something to complain. About if this ludicrous scenario happened!

I'd like to think we could tempt Fat Ronaldo out of retirement with a County Kebab.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the excitement over billy mackay staying on, he's been crap everywhere since leaving Caley the first time ( a bit like Owen Coyle since burnley ) and I'm not convinced he'll be any better in the championship,
I'd really like to be proved wrong though.

(, 07:39 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the excitement over billy mackay staying on, he's been crap everywhere since leaving Caley the first time ( a bit like Owen Coyle since burnley ) and I'm not convinced he'll be any better in the championship,
I'd really like to be proved wrong though.

Crap? Thought he's been one of the few players who have put a shift in, and actually looked like he gave a **** about our plight these last few games.

If the other ten put as much effort in as Billy McKay did we'd have been clear of even the play offs, never mind relegated!

Cramp compared to who, Schalk, N'Gog or Curran?
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

Players making an effort is the minimum you want, but effort goes only so far. If they have no real technical ability, effort means little to nothing.

Signing Vigurs and the resigning of McKay strike me as short term signings. Neither are top level players, and it's certainly questionable if McKay has it in him to do it in the Championship this year.

So if we do get promoted, you're looking at replacing players yet again this time next year.

One positive is that we are just into the Summer now, so hopefully there will be some more inspiring signings who have the ability to get us up, and more importantly keep us there.

()LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Signing Vigurs and the resigning of McKay strike me as short term signings. Neither are top level players, and it's certainly questionable if McKay has it in him to do it in the Championship this year.

Mckay has scored over 70 goals for clubs in the top flight. Vigurs was County's best player in the first half of the 2012/13 season, IMO, and among the best in the second half, albeit that was five years ago.

They're both good enough for the top flight and will be leading players in the Championship next season.