Tuesday 26 March - Serbia v Scotland
Friday 7 June - Croatia v Scotland **
Friday 6 September - Scotland v Belgium
Tuesday 10 September - Macedonia v Scotland
Tuesday 15 October - Scotland v Croatia

*Subject to police approval
**Provisional agreement for 9 pm kick-off tbc
Highlander29

Looking forward to the opener, very disappointed we can't have more Hampden Saturdays after all most of the Tartan army DONT live in Glasgow and travel from all ends of Scotland.

9pm kick off on the Friday the place will be a major drunk fest. I dont think they have the right balance.

Last game against Croatia will be a decider I think.

Highlander29

I think the national team is moving in the right direction but will be struggling to qualify from this group. Serbia and Croatia will walk off with the group and Scotland will scrap with a poor Belgium and side for third. Wales only have 2 or 3 decent players but may pull off a suprise result. Macedonia lack the strength in depth to challenge.
Scotland vs Wales looks tasty though.
SHIRT NUMBER 34.

(formerly named Geordieland Staggie).

Registered member since March 2003.

Any team in this group can beat any other team in the group on any given day and I don't believe the gap between the best side (Croatia) and the worst side (Macedonia) is that large. We've got a chance. That's all you can ask for.

(11-24-2011, 10:58 PM)Comrie Wrote: Any team in this group can beat any other team in the group on any given day and I don't believe the gap between the best side (Croatia) and the worst side (Macedonia) is that large. We've got a chance. That's all you can ask for.

Agreed. I think winning your home games I know its a cliche but away from home every team could be beaten in this group.
Highlander29

(11-24-2011, 10:58 PM)Comrie Wrote: Any team in this group can beat any other team in the group on any given day and I don't believe the gap between the best side (Croatia) and the worst side (Macedonia) is that large. We've got a chance. That's all you can ask for.

Comrie and Son of Earl: I respect your views and you are right to be optimistic, everyone should follow their team that way. Coming from a non-bias view (I'm no England fan either mind!) I just think that Croatia have players like Modric and Serbia have players like Ivanovic and Kolarov that are miles better than anything Scotland have bar Charlie Adam. Plus these are very dificult places to go for away matches. Scottish commentaters over-rate their team so much these days that when Scotland lose to a good team, they are very critical rather than seeing the obvious decline in quality players coming out of Scotland since 1998. Come Euro 2012, it will be 13 years since Scotland qualified for any tournement and they have never been beyond round one so how can anyone think they can qualify out of this group is beyond me.

If I am proved wrong, I will buy a round in the Mallard for all OTB users who attend (when I finally get back up there for a home match next season).
Please don't bit my head off, it's just my opinion and I would love to see a world cup with Scotland there, I really would but I just can't see it at the moment.

SHIRT NUMBER 34.

(11-26-2011, 04:21 PM)staggie34 Wrote: Comrie and Son of Earl: I respect your views and you are right to be optimistic, everyone should follow their team that way. Coming from a non-bias view (I'm no England fan either mind!) I just think that Croatia have players like Modric and Serbia have players like Ivanovic and Kolarov that are miles better than anything Scotland have bar Charlie Adam. Plus these are very dificult places to go for away matches. Scottish commentaters over-rate their team so much these days that when Scotland lose to a good team, they are very critical rather than seeing the obvious decline in quality players coming out of Scotland since 1998. Come Euro 2012, it will be 13 years since Scotland qualified for any tournement and they have never been beyond round one so how can anyone think they can qualify out of this group is beyond me.

Fair one, I never realised we could actually be like England and have a brilliant media rather than a brilliant national team.

Knowing how unpredictable Scotland are you may be right, I think this is our best team in a decade. We need better central defenders, if Weir was younger we would be laughing.
Highlander29

On that point, I woulod concede that the English media are far worse than their Scottish counterparts but it causes the same problems for both teams.
The Scottish team is definetly getting better and I think that you are right: this is the best team for a decade. I think the future is bright but these qualifiers may be a bit early; qualifing for France 2016 is certainly achievable.
Good luck, I will be following progress with interest!
SHIRT NUMBER 34.

Quote:Comrie and Son of Earl: I respect your views and you are right to be optimistic, everyone should follow their team that way. Coming from a non-bias view (I'm no England fan either mind!) I just think that Croatia have players like Modric and Serbia have players like Ivanovic and Kolarov that are miles better than anything Scotland have bar Charlie Adam

Oh, I know that for sure. Croatia are the best team in the group with Serbia, Belgium and Wales all having players that would breeze into our national side without a problem. However, other than whacking Turkey away, all of Croatia's qualifying results are solid, not spectacular. Serbia's recent results have also been shaky as well.

I'm certainly not daft enough to think we've got a good chance to qualify because quite frankly our defence is woefully shaky- but we have a chance.