Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Ross County's best ever player?
In your opinion, who is Ross County's best ever player?

Obviously with the age differences on here, there will be several opinions on this. Just thought it would be interesting to see which player people put forward.

For me, it's probably Iain Vigurs.

For quality, success and longevity it's Vigurs.

He was a major part of the team that got to the Scottish Cup Final, won promotion to the SPL and finished in the top six.

I don't think any of us ever thought Ross County would achieve that - and Vigurs was the player with the most quality in that team.

He may not be the best player to ever have played for the club but in terms of what he has done for us a strong case could be made for RB.

I think Vigurs is a good shout for the simple reasons you highlight above - we have missed him terribly this year!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Tucker Thompson

Brittain for consistency but overall don cowie
County till I die

Jack Lornie, played at the top in England and not many in the team today would lace his boots. Especially in the air.

jack lornie or john buchanan

billy ferries for me followed by stevie ferg

(03-04-2014, 06:39 PM)Farr staggie Wrote: Brittain for consistency but overall don cowie
Don Cowie Sin or Jun

For me Richie Brittain or Don Cowie (jun)

(03-04-2014, 09:58 PM)Strathpefferstaggie Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 06:39 PM)Farr staggie Wrote: Brittain for consistency but overall don cowie
Don Cowie Sin or Jun

For me Richie Brittain or Don Cowie (jun)

Junior
County till I die

The player that we should never have let go at the end of last season and broke the bank to keep with us, Vigurs. Wonder where we would be in the league if we had managed to keep him?

(03-04-2014, 09:34 PM)peter griffin Wrote: billy ferries for me followed by stevie ferg

Jim hosie was five man forward line on his own,then fast forward to ferries and Gordon Connolly .
Difficult one this,Jack Lonnie another,wee Ian McNeil
Somebody set up a defender ,
,midfielder ,owinger. Inside forward ,striker chart. Then choose best in that particular position.

Best most versatile would be Donnie the Bear played Forward, Defence and then Goalkeeper. Wore his heart on his sleeve too. Just pips Daisy Smile

(03-04-2014, 11:32 PM)Boff Wrote: Best most versatile would be Donnie the Bear played Forward, Defence and then Goalkeeper. Wore his heart on his sleeve too. Just pips Daisy Smile

If you know the bear,ask him about up the school and how I hardened him up by tackling him with Tackett boots,every night,I had a bunch of guys ,Donnie will know who Iam also late Stan sokoloswki, the bear did a lot for football in the area,Dingwall Vic's ,a great guy play anywhere just to play

I'm not qualified to give a proper opinion as my years away mean I've missed most of the history and players you guys talk about.
However for the sake of argument would Lawson be in with a shout? The team stats over 24 / 36 months when he played must give him a shot. Maybe not the best or glamorous but perhaps the most underrated or underappreciated. RB has been the drive, Vigurs the flair but for me Lawson was the glue that kept it together and the oil that made it work, for my money he's the biggest miss this season and worth consideration.
Hard hat time again.

It's difficult to qualify what 'best ever player' should be. Most consistent, most medals, goals, appearances, talented, etc etc. So you will get a lot of different answers on here.

The MFR Fanzone podcast had a stab at an All-time County team last year, helped by a couple of fans and feedback on twitter:

Tony Bullock, Mark McCulloch, Scott Boyd, Brian Irvine, Hugh Robertson, Richard Brittain, Paul Lawson, Ian Vigurs, Billy Ferries, Michael Gardyne, Derek Adams

Sean Higgins is our all-time top scorer.
Don Cowie went on to gain Scotland caps and plays in the EPL.
Billy Ferries was voted County's 'all-time cult-hero' http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football...226651.stm

Brittain would certainly have to be up there. Captain of the team during our most successful period. 247 apps and 48 goals.
Staggie Archive has stats of our recent players http://www.staggiearchive.co.uk/200club.php

(03-05-2014, 11:00 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Staggie Archive has stats of our recent players http://www.staggiearchive.co.uk/200club.php

My work would like to thank you for the wasted hour and many more to come. Cracking site.

Give the ball to Billy Ferries and watch him motor down the wing before putting over a proper cross from near the by-line. Brilliantly effective winger.

Nowadays the only time we see a ball being put across from the by-line is from a corner !

( Oh I do remember a recent one - Slew to Arquin who just had to chest it over the line in the one decent win we had against the Arabs )

Best player is a toughie, best to watch Billy Ferries all day long.

He would skin people, then double back and skin them again.
From Bottom of Highland League, to sitting at Scottish footballs top table.....If Carlsberg did Football stories!.
@JackMunro9

(03-05-2014, 01:52 PM)Its Only A Game Wrote: Give the ball to Billy Ferries and watch him motor down the wing before putting over a proper cross from near the by-line. Brilliantly effective winger.

Nowadays the only time we see a ball being put across from the by-line is from a corner !

( Oh I do remember a recent one - Slew to Arquin who just had to chest it over the line in the one decent win we had against the Arabs )

Yep, have to agree.
Our ability to sprint down the wings and whip over a good cross seem very limited.
Can't beat that for entertainment, be gret to see it back.