Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Arquin
Notts County fan here just wondering how the enigmatic Frenchman got on on Saturday? I saw that he scored, general impressions apart from that?

(01-20-2014, 09:17 PM)Drillerpie Wrote: Notts County fan here just wondering how the enigmatic Frenchman got on on Saturday? I saw that he scored, general impressions apart from that?

He seemed keen. Great in the air, won almost every header he went up for. Only negative thing I noticed was he seemed to have a bit of an attitude - he got warned twice for verbal and, correct me if I'm wrong, his card was for the same offense.

Photo 
(01-20-2014, 09:36 PM)1517 Wrote:
(01-20-2014, 09:17 PM)Drillerpie Wrote: Notts County fan here just wondering how the enigmatic Frenchman got on on Saturday? I saw that he scored, general impressions apart from that?

He seemed keen. Great in the air, won almost every header he went up for. Only negative thing I noticed was he seemed to have a bit of an attitude - he got warned twice for verbal and, correct me if I'm wrong, his card was for the same offense.

but commitment and effort were excellent, as was the skill and ability. He chased down what looked like lost causes, and never stopped working.
Jim'n'Billy Cult Follower

No complaints about his attitude or effort, worked tirelessly and linked up well with Jordan Slew....big awkward forward was what we were crying out for!

Given this was his first start having signed hours earlier - was well pleased with his contribution - can only get better with games!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Note to Drillerpie: Bear in mind that we are easily pleased. None (not one!) of our strikers had scored a goal this season before Arquin on Saturday. But he did look good!

Great in the air, seemed to get on the end of everything that came near him in the air, can't complain about his work rate, and he made it from forward to defence when required...grat signing for us, and he will most likely imrove
There's a fine line between genius and insanity

Welcome to the site fellow County fan Wink

Did not see the man in the flesh but has made the perfect start, helping us win a game comfortably that most would have written us off in before kick off.

Looking forward to watching his progress with us.

All good, so far Wink

Ah ok so pretty positive then, that's great to hear! There were plenty of people happy to see him leave us and a minority (me included) who think he was the best striker on our books.

Unfortunately he got a bit of a reputation for being moody at Notts, not sure how much that is true and how much it's due to lazy football fans going for the Anelka stereotype as I never saw him as particularly lazy. We had a bad start to the season and he was playing as a lone striker which doesn't really suit him. Typically he would start a game full of motivation, would make clever runs but never get the through balls he needed and would eventually get fed up of that and also having to receive aimless punts under pressure with no support, chase down 4 defenders on his own etc and then the fans got on his back for being 'lazy'.

The Anelka nickname actually came from his team mates, not sure how well he mixed behind the scenes and the fact that he has been in the UK a while but doesn't speak English probably doesn't help.

We've got a new manager who has come in and based his whole philosophy on team spirit, hard work and fighting for every ball, he played Arquin in his first match then after that he trained with the reserves and didn't even make the bench, so make of that what you will. To be honest our results have improved dramatically since then but I think that's down to a whole series of factors, not just dropping Arquin, we were a shambles of a club until then quite frankly. This is what our Forum said about him leaving which will give you an idea of how he was thought of. http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno...2111698168

He has always started well at clubs and then it hasn't really worked out. Overall I would say that if you can keep him motivated, make him feel valued, never ever play him as a lone striker, play through balls in front of him on the deck for him to run on to and put plenty of crosses in for him to attack you will have a hell of a player. After seeing him give Liverpool's first choice defence a torrid time at Anfield in August with a goal and an assist ans generally being a nuisance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdB4T7Q094) I would not be surprised to see him play at a higher level in his career, or equally he could end up as the classic journeyman!

Fingers crossed that he blasts you up the table anyway. At the end of the day he's a big lad, strong, fast and skilful so there's no reason why he shouldn't. I have always looked out for Ross County's results for no other reason than the similarity in our names.

A look on his Twitter shows he does speak English. Just not to the press.

(01-21-2014, 08:07 AM)Drillerpie Wrote: Ah ok so pretty positive then, that's great to hear! There were plenty of people happy to see him leave us and a minority (me included) who think he was the best striker on our books.

Unfortunately he got a bit of a reputation for being moody at Notts, not sure how much that is true and how much it's due to lazy football fans going for the Anelka stereotype as I never saw him as particularly lazy. We had a bad start to the season and he was playing as a lone striker which doesn't really suit him. Typically he would start a game full of motivation, would make clever runs but never get the through balls he needed and would eventually get fed up of that and also having to receive aimless punts under pressure with no support, chase down 4 defenders on his own etc and then the fans got on his back for being 'lazy'.

The Anelka nickname actually came from his team mates, not sure how well he mixed behind the scenes and the fact that he has been in the UK a while but doesn't speak English probably doesn't help.

We've got a new manager who has come in and based his whole philosophy on team spirit, hard work and fighting for every ball, he played Arquin in his first match then after that he trained with the reserves and didn't even make the bench, so make of that what you will. To be honest our results have improved dramatically since then but I think that's down to a whole series of factors, not just dropping Arquin, we were a shambles of a club until then quite frankly. This is what our Forum said about him leaving which will give you an idea of how he was thought of. http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno...2111698168

He has always started well at clubs and then it hasn't really worked out. Overall I would say that if you can keep him motivated, make him feel valued, never ever play him as a lone striker, play through balls in front of him on the deck for him to run on to and put plenty of crosses in for him to attack you will have a hell of a player. After seeing him give Liverpool's first choice defence a torrid time at Anfield in August with a goal and an assist ans generally being a nuisance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdB4T7Q094) I would not be surprised to see him play at a higher level in his career, or equally he could end up as the classic journeyman!

Fingers crossed that he blasts you up the table anyway. At the end of the day he's a big lad, strong, fast and skilful so there's no reason why he shouldn't. I have always looked out for Ross County's results for no other reason than the similarity in our names.

Thanks for the contribution and info, always good to hear from fans elsewhere who show an interest Smile
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(01-21-2014, 08:18 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: A look on his Twitter shows he does speak English. Just not to the press.

Ah ok. Haven't seen his Twitter but I remember that the BBC journo who covers our matches said our ex manager (April-Nov 2013) Kiwomya spoke to him in French. Anyway fair play if he has learnt it, and good luck to the lad and you for the rest of the season!

He said enough on Saturday to get a yellow card for dissent!

(01-21-2014, 08:07 AM)Drillerpie Wrote: Typically he would start a game full of motivation, would make clever runs but never get the through balls he needed and would eventually get fed up of that and also having to receive aimless punts under pressure with no support, chase down 4 defenders on his own etc and then the fans got on his back for being 'lazy'.

Call me a cynic but we might see all of that soon enough, when the five loanees return to their parent clubs and the extant midfield struggle to play through to him. If he had been here four weeks ago we'd already have seen all that.

(01-21-2014, 08:59 AM)john@THHP Wrote: He said enough on Saturday to get a yellow card for dissent!

(01-21-2014, 08:07 AM)Drillerpie Wrote: Typically he would start a game full of motivation, would make clever runs but never get the through balls he needed and would eventually get fed up of that and also having to receive aimless punts under pressure with no support, chase down 4 defenders on his own etc and then the fans got on his back for being 'lazy'.

Call me a cynic but we might see all of that soon enough, when the five loanees return to their parent clubs and the extant midfield struggle to play through to him. If he had been here four weeks ago we'd already have seen all that.
I think a lesson has been learnt and we will not be starting next season with as innocuous a line up as we did this year.

Let's hope so.

How is Mark Fotheringham getting on? It's interesting to see Notts County fans describe Arquin as talented but lazy and seemingly lacking in motivation most of the time. That's how a number of County fans, myself included, would describe Fotheringham. Only going by The Football League Show's limited highlights he seems to be doing alright.

(01-21-2014, 09:22 AM)Wicky Wrote: I think a lesson has been learnt and we will not be starting next season with as innocuous a line up as we did this year.

Easier said than done. I think it's easier for clubs like us to deal in the January window than in the summer, in direct contrast to the highest level of the game. In the summer all the good players are looking for a 'fashionable' club with a high salary, but when it comes to January and they're still without a club, or they're just not getting a game elsewhere, Ross County suddenly becomes a good shop window for a short term deal.

Oikonomou would be a classic example of that. And the likes of Kiss and Tidser are only with us because they can't get into the team at the their parent clubs. If they do well over the next few months they'll either go back to their respective clubs and break into the first team or get more lucrative moves elsewhere.

(01-21-2014, 02:23 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: How is Mark Fotheringham getting on? It's interesting to see Notts County fans describe Arquin as talented but lazy and seemingly lacking in motivation most of the time. That's how a number of County fans, myself included, would describe Fotheringham. Only going by The Football League Show's limited highlights he seems to be doing alright.

Ah yeah forgot Fotheringham had played for you. Well, he looked good in pre season and we were quite excited about him, unfortunately things went downhill from there, he was playing in a midfield two with a young inexperienced CM and they both were absolutely dire (which kinds of ties in with the point I made about Arquin not getting any service). Rather than lazy I would say Fotheringham was just immobile, clumsy, passed it sideways or backwards and fans would comment that they didn't realise he was on the pitch, not trying to be funny but because you GENUINELY couldn't tell he was on the pitch, unless he fouled someone, which was fairly often.

So as with Arquin the new manager came in and dropped him (converting a centre half to a midfielder to take his place which must have hurt), but aformentioned converted CB got a long term injury and with the young CM out on loan Fotheringham has come back in for the last 4 or 5 games and while not being great he has been decent. Luckily for him as he was rapidly turning in to a fans' hate figure. Just goes to show what a bit of confidence and a few wins can do. I would still say you got the better deal out of the 'swap' though.

Mark Fotheringham did not play in that many games if I remember right? Wiki says 13 which I guess would be about right, don't think it was any more and struggled to even get on the bench in the latter half of the season. I thought he looked one of our better players early on but to be honest we were not exactly very creative at the start off last season either. If it were not defending that massive unbeaten run and being new to the league I reckon last season could have started like this.

He did start that famous derby on the last day of the season though! Hope he does well and notice he is on Tonight against Peterborough. Looks an interesting game

(01-21-2014, 08:23 PM)Drillerpie Wrote: Ah yeah forgot Fotheringham had played for you. Well, he looked good in pre season and we were quite excited about him, unfortunately things went downhill from there, he was playing in a midfield two with a young inexperienced CM and they both were absolutely dire (which kinds of ties in with the point I made about Arquin not getting any service). Rather than lazy I would say Fotheringham was just immobile, clumsy, passed it sideways or backwards and fans would comment that they didn't realise he was on the pitch, not trying to be funny but because you GENUINELY couldn't tell he was on the pitch, unless he fouled someone, which was fairly often.

That description matches what Dundee and Livingston fans told us. Fotheringham came and talked up how he was out to prove himself after comments from George Adams (he'd also been on trial over the summer at Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim IIRC) and looked decent in his first game away at Saint Mirren before continuing this form against ICT and Hearts. After that he went AWOL despite being on the teamsheet and was replaced by Lawson, not to be seen again until May.

Despite that, I hope he does well. Seemed likeable in the few interviews he has appeared in. He also became a hero in the eyes of 100 odd when, playing for Livingston, he went to take a corner. Some guy shouts "number five, your worse than Tokely" to which Fotheringham replies "I'm not that bad".

MEGA-LOLS.

(01-21-2014, 10:42 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: He also became a hero in the eyes of 100 odd when, playing for Livingston, he went to take a corner. Some guy shouts "number five, your worse than Tokely" to which Fotheringham replies "I'm not that bad".

Was that him? I had never realised that.
I had it in my mind it was the same guy we gave pelters to the whole game and who then hilariously was awarded motm.
Our first ever league win v them, we've come on a bit since then.