Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ross County v Dundee Utd 18 January 2014
Just watching ICT v DU and thinking that GMS v Ben G next week might not turn out in our favour. Any news of Kova's return?

Talk at yesterday's game suggests that we'd be better off hoping that Saunders is fit. A draw would be a good result but the prospect of El Alagui against Boyd/McLean is frightening, any chance of Munro coming back on an emergency one game loan?

7 points from the next three games is not unrealistic.

I hope that Kova comes back soon as GMS will rip Gordon apart my worrie like StrathyStagggie said of El Alagui agants Boyd and McLean Sorry thats how I feal

Another defensive performance like Saturday's and Utd will take 4 or 5 off us!
We did well defensively v Caley and St Johnstone, lets hope Firhill was just a blip.
I see the players have been given "a few days off after a tough period" (Adams in P&J), lets hope they come back refreshed and raring to go.
And hopefully Kova makes an appearance too, or we sign a new right-back.

Looking forward to seeing Kiss making his home debut. If Saturday was anything to go by we are in for a treat, a class above what we are used to.

(01-13-2014, 09:58 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Another defensive performance like Saturday's and Utd will take 4 or 5 off us!
We did well defensively v Caley and St Johnstone, lets hope Firhill was just a blip.
I see the players have been given "a few days off after a tough period" (Adams in P&J), lets hope they come back refreshed and raring to go.

Looking forward to seeing Kiss making his home debut. If Saturday was anything to go by we are in for a treat, a class above what we are used to.

Well, let’s just hope the game goes as we would hope!
With us attacking Dundee Utd from start to finish.
Hopefully let them worry about our attacking threat.
With a better midfield, the addition of Kiss for them to worry about.
We are looking better going forward, look more of a goal threat in recent weeks, keep it up boys.
If memory serves me GMS did not have a good game the last time they were up in the GES?

To be honest the best form of defence is attack, if Dundee Utd are continually pressed by our midfield and attackers they will have to remain fully concentrated on that - we have to let them have very little time on the ball - if we allow them to play - they will hurt us, simple as that.

I think our defenders will be well drilled after the weekends debacle - lots of focus on defence in training this week.

Remember, we are a much stronger outfit in midfield and up front than we were when United last visited the GES - we should be looking to win our two home games.

I'm sure Derek will have the tactics for this one spot on!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(01-13-2014, 09:58 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: And hopefully Kova makes an appearance too, or we sign a new right-back.

Agreed. Gordon is a decent squad player and should be retained for the fact he can fill a gap at RB or LB, but he has been singled out as a weak link by a few clubs already.

Although United have gone off the boil lately they are dangerous and have arrested their own decline with two decent draws against Hibs and ICT.

This will be the biggest test yet of our New Year turn of fortunes but I believe we can get a point from this or even nick a single goal victory.

However, despite the fact we are at home I would forget about trying to be expansive and concentrate on keeping it tight given our frail defence and hoping to hit on the break.

0-0 or 1-0 nil County with the Arabs having about two thirds possession.

(01-12-2014, 03:25 PM)Wicky Wrote: Just watching ICT v DU and thinking that GMS v Ben G next week might not turn out in our favour. Any news of Kova's return?

Kova not as good this season,he was leave on compassionate grounds to go home to visit his sick father,hope everything goes well for both father and son

This maybe was playing on kovas mind,I do not think he will be in frame of mind to play,against D untied.
I hope someone gets a good tackle into GMS ,as last time they played us,I watched him closely he dived ,he laughed in opposing players face,he clipped heels,a nasty piece of business,yes he is a good player,who should not have to resort to this,

(01-13-2014, 09:58 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Another defensive performance like Saturday's and Utd will take 4 or 5 off us!

Sad to say but a no nonsense good centreback required,I like BOYDY very much but his pace is suspect,he should have got a block in before Patricks 2nd goal,and Maclean was shocking for third goal,mind you in my opinion Fraser should have saved ball instead we allowed them equalise. This has been the theme all season.
In saying that the goals we lost were poor,but d united are there for the taking.
Please let us get the 3 points,my honest feeling is we can do this,we now have quality
in our team

We are still missing the experience and stability of Grant Munro at the centre of defence as well as his threat at attacking set pieces.

A replacement in the same mould would be ideal.

(01-12-2014, 03:44 PM)Strathpefferstaggie Wrote: I hope that Kova comes back soon as GMS will rip Gordon apart my worrie like StrathyStagggie said of El Alagui agants Boyd and McLean Sorry thats how I feal

In the past Kova has struggled against quick, tricky players who can turn quickly. Although fairly fast when he gets up to a full canter he isn't the quickest off the mark and GMS will run at him every chance he gets. Kova should be able to assert his size over a player like him but he won't, so I'm not totally sure either he or Gordon will have the easiest job marking him.

GMS is a nightmare for any defender on his day, we maybe need to just defend high up the park By not giving them a minute on the ball - get at them from the whistle and try and get an early goal to open them up, then when they are tying to get the equaliser, catch them on the break.....here's hoping anyway!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

For me our defensive problems come down to the quality of centre back we have and can afford. IMO we cannot afford the quality of CB that an undefended back four requires. Boyd at SPFL level is as good as we will get and he and Munro were a great partnership with a ball playing defensive midfielder in front of them. IMO the same would still be true.
Against DU I would put Kiss in front of the back four, that way when the CBs should not get pulled wide to help the fullbacks as there will be cover. Kiss looks to have the quality to play that roll and still be dangerous arriving late when we are in attack.
Staggie 2509 is right the best form of attack is defence and I think this will give defensive stability but move the midfield higher up the pitch, play to our strengths and create enough attacking threat and opportunities to keep DU on the back foot. On the other hand this could all be guff from my armchair. For me

Brown
Gordon Boyd Mclean Oki
Kiss
Brittain Tidser Cary Cooper (Id ideally have Ketts for Tidser to add bite but that ship has sailed)
Slew

This will allow Carey Brittain, Tidser, Cooper to play off Slew and when the opportunity arises Kiss can push into the space.
If we are chasing the game or need to mix it up Tidser subbed for DeLeeuw, Brittain moves back on the right of Kiss, Carey to the centre mid and go 4231 or Kiss moves into the centre beside Carey and DeLeeuw plays off Slew in a straight 442.
None of this detracts from Boyd and our back line only faces up to the realities and IMO plays to our strengths.

It was the same old story with Fraser on Saturday,he takes weeks to go down on his left side,St Johnstone and St Mirren from last season spring to mind,saying that both keepers had games they would rather forget at Firhill.

(01-13-2014, 09:22 PM)kenthehood Wrote: It was the same old story with Fraser on Saturday,he takes weeks to go down on his left side,St Johnstone and St Mirren from last season spring to mind,saying that both keepers had games they would rather forget at Firhill.

I'm not Fraser's greatest fan but that's too hard on him. He certainly could have done better for the first goal, but he was left completely exposed for the other two, and made a couple of good stops at other times. Fox on the other hand should have stopped all three of our goals.

Brown and Fraser - not much in it. I think Fraser will stay because again on Saturday his distribution was pretty good, which helps the team push forward. He also produced a wonder reflex save when it was nil - nil. He collected some high balls into the box well, and their few corners caused us little trouble. When Brown is in goal, every time the opposition gets a corner it's panic time Smile. With us getting recent points on the board I reckon he will keep his place.

(01-13-2014, 09:58 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: I see the players have been given "a few days off after a tough period" (Adams in P&J)

I have been reliably informed that Derek has hidden Oikonomou's deck chair Cool.

[quote='doninblue' pid='33039' dateline='1389654729']
Brown and Fraser - not much in it. I think Fraser will stay because again on Saturday his distribution was pretty good, which helps the team push forward. He also produced a wonder reflex save when it was nil - nil. He collected some high balls into the box well, and their few corners caused us little trouble. When Brown is in goal, every time the opposition gets a corner it's panic time Smile. With us getting recent points on the board I reckon he will keep his place.

Fair point, Fraser to start. Forgot about crosses and corners Doh.

I am curious as to why it is, in most people's predicted team line-up, that Gary Glen gets excluded? What has he done differently from Slew in the past few games?

Not a great deal in my eyes...

(01-13-2014, 11:09 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: To be honest the best form of defence is attack, if Dundee Utd are continually pressed by our midfield and attackers they will have to remain fully concentrated on that - we have to let them have very little time on the ball - if we allow them to play - they will hurt us, simple as that.

I think our defenders will be well drilled after the weekends debacle - lots of focus on defence in training this week.

Remember, we are a much stronger outfit in midfield and up front than we were when United last visited the GES - we should be looking to win our two home games.

I'm sure Derek will have the tactics for this one spot on!

I admire your optimism. There have been few games this season where that's been the case, and the results have proved that. Playing with no attacking intent at home has been our downfall on many occasions. We won the last home game when we actually tried taking the game to St Johnstone rather than sitting back. Maybe Derek's learned something from that. My fear is that losing 3 goals last week will frighten him into another defensive home formation.

(01-14-2014, 02:56 PM)Marc Bell Wrote: I am curious as to why it is, in most people's predicted team line-up, that Gary Glen gets excluded? What has he done differently from Slew in the past few games?

Not a great deal in my eyes...

I agree with you on Gary glen he is perpetual motion good player for us

(01-13-2014, 07:19 PM)dorsetstaggie Wrote: For me our defensive problems come down to the quality of centre back we have and can afford. IMO we cannot afford the quality of CB that an undefended back four requires. Boyd at SPFL level is as good as we will get and he and Munro were a great partnership with a ball playing defensive midfielder in front of them. IMO the same would still be true.
Against DU I would put Kiss in front of the back four, that way when the CBs should not get pulled wide to help the fullbacks as there will be cover. Kiss looks to have the quality to play that roll and still be dangerous arriving late when we are in attack.
Staggie 2509 is right the best form of attack is defence and I think this will give defensive stability but move the midfield higher up the pitch, play to our strengths and create enough attacking threat and opportunities to keep DU on the back foot. On the other hand this could all be guff from my armchair. For me

Brown
Gordon Boyd Mclean Oki
Kiss
Brittain Tidser Cary Cooper (Id ideally have Ketts for Tidser to add bite but that ship has sailed)
Slew

This will allow Carey Brittain, Tidser, Cooper to play off Slew and when the opportunity arises Kiss can push into the space.
If we are chasing the game or need to mix it up Tidser subbed for DeLeeuw, Brittain moves back on the right of Kiss, Carey to the centre mid and go 4231 or Kiss moves into the centre beside Carey and DeLeeuw plays off Slew in a straight 442.
None of this detracts from Boyd and our back line only faces up to the realities and IMO plays to our strengths.

I note there is a defender training with us,trying to win a move