Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lack of Support
What has happened to our crowds at GES Victoria Park.

Just back from the Hibs Game 26/12/13 and to be honest the away fans last week at Tanadice (est. 250) made more noise and clapped the team off the park. Today silence even polite cheers to welcome the team onto the field. come on Staggies we can do better.

Our team needs us as the crowd can drive the team forward, but all to often it's negative vibes which makes it harder for the players.

This is a dream for our Club, and we have no right to stay in this League but with our help we can stay up.

So come on make yourselves heard, and parents plz let your kids shout and sing so they will not be as Shy as you. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
You can take the People out of the Highlands but not the Highlands out of the People

(12-27-2013, 12:01 AM)Applecross Staggie Wrote: What has happened to our crowds at GES Victoria Park.

Just back from the Hibs Game 26/12/13 and to be honest the away fans last week at Tanadice (est. 250) made more noise and clapped the team off the park. Today silence even polite cheers to welcome the team onto the field. come on Staggies we can do better.

Our team needs us as the crowd can drive the team forward, but all to often it's negative vibes which makes it harder for the players.

This is a dream for our Club, and we have no right to stay in this League but with our help we can stay up.

So come on make yourselves heard, and parents plz let your kids shout and sing so they will not be as Shy as you. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I'm with you on this Applecross, not enough atmosphere for our home games - we know we can generate atmosphere as there have been some cracking games at Victoria Park - but latterly it's been very poor - next home game we need all three stands to make a racket and get behind the team......I bet the away support at Caley Stadium for the game on 1st Jan is noisy....
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(12-27-2013, 12:01 AM)Applecross Staggie Wrote: What has happened to our crowds at GES Victoria Park.

Good statement Applecross!
Almost agree with you, this is a great club.
HOWEVER! HOWEVER!
WE DO HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE IN THE LEAGUE AND STAY IN THE LEAGUE!!!!
However, unfortunately, the level of football on display appears to be matched with the same level of enthusiasm in the stands.
Afraid we are still getting the gormless looks from “Ald Men In Bunnets”, and from “Not So Ald Men In Bunnets”, raise your voice too much, they look at you as if you have horns.
One guy behind me let out a swear, probably in frustration at the teams display, a guy several rows down took an eternity looking round at him in disgust, shaking his head an muttering his discontent.
OK, we can argue the guy should not be swearing, but come get a life; it’s only a word, and nothing we don’t hear on a daily basis. (You will hear worse in the school playground)
Comment of the day was another guy in the East Stand shouting, “ Get a F……G Tackle In” , right or wrong choice of words?, his comments were just frustration.
We can make a noise, we have made a noise, just hope it can return sometime in January?

My wife and I were both season tickets holders last year. Due to a serious illness in the family football is no longer a priority and we have not attended a match this season. RC have played something like 10 home games this season, so already that’s at least £500 saved on East Stand match tickets, pies and petrol costs from Inverness. Would hate to think how much would have been spent if we were travelling to away games! The management are getting paid good money and so are the players for kicking a ball about for maybe 3 or 4 hours a day (most days!) and for an hour and a half on Saturday afternoons, and if they are really stretched maybe also during mid-week. When you analyse it, it’s not really a “real” job and any professional footballer would have to admit they are somewhat pampered, some more than others! Nearly every supporter out there is working a lot harder for a lot longer hours on a lot less wages and I am sure many of them can ill afford paying out weekly to support their team but they do so week by week even despite recent performances. Now, that’s what I call devotion! The fans have the right to expect the same commitment from the management and players to the club as they give, in fact even more. RC cannot take fans loyalty for granted.

I think it was more like 80 of us. But yes as usual at away games they all got behind the team.
Looking forward to Pittodrie on Sunday. Home games are a miserable experience at the moment Im afraid.

(12-27-2013, 08:58 AM)Chap Wrote: The fans have the right to expect the same commitment from the management and players to the club as they give, in fact even more. RC cannot take fans loyalty for granted.

So what you're saying, despite not having been to a game this season, is that the management and players have little or no commitment. What a load of rubbish. Man up and go and tell Ketts or Brittain face to face and say that and see the reaction. If anything some try to hard hence the snatching at kicks instead of the measured passes we've seen in other seasons.

I'm sorry but that's just a cheap shot based on nothing and contributes nothing to the discussion as to how we get out of this.

Folk are just too reserved. I shout as much encouragement as I can and stand and cheer the side onto the pitch. Not a lot else I can do.

I did hear one very loud shout yesterday. It did appear to come from the east stand extension. I seem to recall Kevin was beaten to the ball and a male voice shouted a remark which isn't worth repeating. I just wish folk were as supportive of the side as they are critical.

I wonder how we would perform at work if we were watched over by several thousand people who scrutinised everything we did for 90 minutes. Then every time we made an error we were shouted and sworn at. My guess is we would all be nervous. I don't know why folk think players are any different.
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

Prices are ridiculous for a team that aren't performing.

(12-27-2013, 10:18 AM)Ed Wrote: Folk are just too reserved. I shout as much encouragement as I can and stand and cheer the side onto the pitch. Not a lot else I can do.

I did hear one very loud shout yesterday. It did appear to come from the east stand extension. I seem to recall Kevin was beaten to the ball and a male voice shouted a remark which isn't worth repeating. I just wish folk were as supportive of the side as they are critical.

I wonder how we would perform at work if we were watched over by several thousand people who scrutinised everything we did for 90 minutes. Then every time we made an error we were shouted and sworn at. My guess is we would all be nervous. I don't know why folk think players are any different.

Let's face it....this is the job they choose....they choose to play in a park with a few thousand people watching...they have to expect criticism and support, I know most of them take it on the chin and ignore a lot of it, but it does get to them, and at this stage it is probably wearing them down.....criticism will always happen when the playing is poor, no matter what....the biggest worry we have now is that the support are walking away...people will not pay £100 plus for a family day out..there are plenty other things they can do with that £100, the value needs to be there or the fans will disappear...that's a bigger worry for the club than anything else....
There's a fine line between genius and insanity

(12-27-2013, 10:33 AM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Prices are ridiculous for a team that aren't performing.

Prices are ridiculous for a team that ARE performing. The price of football in the SPFL is pretty much the same all over but I don't see what that has to do with the sentiment in this thread.

lets be honest,if the Spfl said we know the football is to expensive and as an experiment,for one game people can pay what they think should be the proper rate,how many would hand in more than a tenner?the atmosphere and standard is no better anywhere else.

lack of support is down to a few reasons -
piss poor performances
prices are too high to watch games
all seater stadiums
fuddy duddy fans who complains about people singing and trying to get a bit of atmosphere
job worthy stewards

i would like to see them give free tickets to all kids, we will never fill our stadium so will always have free seats. let kids in for free to fill these seats.
most of our fans just dont like singing or sitting beside people who do.
lets make one area of the jailend a known noisy area, so all fans know this area is going to be noisy and maybe the odd bit of bad language coming from (which i dont agree with, but it does happen), so other fans can stay away from this area if they get offended by singing etc

(12-27-2013, 02:32 PM)weeman Wrote: lack of support is down to a few reasons -
piss poor performances
prices are too high to watch games
all seater stadiums
fuddy duddy fans who complains about people singing and trying to get a bit of atmosphere
job worthy stewards

OP was asking what has happened to our support - presumably since last season or even the start of this season. From your list, it is only the performances which have changed so that must be the reason. Not really surprising, and suggests gates and noise will pick up again if performances and results also pick up.

Onwards and upwards!

All seater stadiums have driven precisely zero fans away. Let's remove that myth. Likewise, the stewards and the fans are the same folk as last year, so that's not an influence (both of which are easily overcome by simply moving to another part of the ground).

Anyone who has been driven away from the game by the cost of the game is lost. And isn't coming back. It's a legitimate stance to take. Prices will never come back down, so what all clubs need to do is to make each game an event in and of itself. A crap pie, a £3 cup of cola and a marching band before the game isn't going to cut the mustard in terms of supplementary experiences.

Those who don't go to the game merely because of poor form... are the type of fans who don't really support the team passionately anyway, so that's no loss.

Most Highlanders are quite reserved folk, coupled with the fact that there was never a singing culture/catalogue of songs etc means that we generally respond to good play by getting excited and clapping/cheering etc.

That will likely never change to any great extent. I applaud those who want to ramp up some vocal support but inventing songs for the sake of it is difficult and with no real religious bigotry up here we thankfully don't have a back catalogue of hate fuelled ditties either.

I was over £500 for my boys and I and this will jump up again next season as my oldest turns 16 in February so it's £210 instead of £80 I think. A sore one to take with little in the way of positive results to reward the outlay.

Those who can't be a*sed coming, well - every club has it's fair weather fans, we're no different. It was bound to happen and even if we were getting results I feel the first season interest would have waned a bit anyway.

The lot of the supporter is never a constantly smooth one. Things will get better, simply because the law of averages say they will although they may continue to worsen first so hold on with both hands, if the January window doesn't fix things then it may be a playoff place and if so we'll need some of the 17K that went to Hampden to dust off their scarfs and come back and shout as loud as they can, even if it isn't in their nature to do so.

Here's to a happy new year!
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

(12-28-2013, 02:04 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: Those who don't go to the game merely because of poor form... are the type of fans who don't really support the team passionately anyway, so that's no loss.

No loss? Apart from £20+ a head. If the gate money is going to come only from "passionate" supporters, I fear some will lose their passion as the price rises.

(12-28-2013, 05:50 PM)Wicky Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 02:04 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: Those who don't go to the game merely because of poor form... are the type of fans who don't really support the team passionately anyway, so that's no loss.

No loss? Apart from £20+ a head. If the gate money is going to come only from "passionate" supporters, I fear some will lose their passion as the price rises.

Incredibly naive to think that County can survive on the revenue of the diehard, passionate, self acclaimed better supporter. The loss of the floating supporter is of huge significance to the club.

I, and many like me enjoy a good game of football. Fond of County and have spent a fair few quid supporting them over the years. That said I attended many football matched before County joined the league and attended many more that didn't involve them since. Same could probably be said for the vast majority of supporters over 40. Take it we're all not welcome if we choose only to come when there's decent fare on offer?

The 'superfan' has a lot to answer for. Self acclaim is no badge of honour.

Cheer up people - and get behind our wonderful wee club - remember who we are and where we have come from, we have a good history, and it won't end his season!!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Hopefully the win yesterday will get a few more staggies along to the game this Saturday!

There were far more fans at the Dump yesterday than I had anticipated, and the support level was great. I was getting slightly concerned on Hogmanay, every regular or familiar face I spoke to in Dingwall pubs said we weren't going! Not because of travel issues, but because they hate the TCS or refuse to give ICT a penny. Come on guys, get along and support your team.

Well for those of you who didn't go, you missed a memorable win at the Dump, and they don't come often!

Have to say the atmosphere was good yesterday!

Just like most away games people find a voice as they have more freedom to sit where they want. (beside mates etc)

Given we can produce an atmosphere like that at the dump there is nor reason this couldn't be replicated at home games.

I know the club asked fans pre-season about a "noisy/singing/atmospheric section and apparently the response wasn't great, however what classifies as great!?? There was only around 50 folk really singing yesterday with more joining in with the more well known songs and look what that generated.

The players and manager have been in the press constantly recently asking for more atmosphere.

I really think the club should re-look at a solution for this, there is no chance the atmosphere will improve until something happens.

as a side note credit to the lad with the drum yesterday, goes to a good few away games as well and always does a good job. --Not heard him at home games ive been to. maybe split up from the usual away day crowd.....see above!
No sacrifice no victory