Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can you remember the really dark days?
I have read a lot of criticism of late on here about the teams performances etc . Now some results have not been what we all hoped for but a chance conversation tonight reminded me about the really dark days and I thought I would post my thoughts in the hope that it might just remind some that no matter how 'bad' you think things are then things have been worse and with support from the fans the corner was turned and this great club went from strength to strength.

Was it 2007 that SOS was formed?, I forget now but I recall it was around this time of year that the fans were asked for help and a good number stepped up to the plate. Along with the help of the local community and all the thousands of supporters who go to the games week in week out helped steer this club on a straight course and with a DoF and very able manager we went on from strength to strength and we are where we are now.

I bet mistakes have been made by those in charge but I bet they are all honest mistakes and they have done all they can to keep this club on the straight and narrow. The road may have taken a few twists and turns along the way and at the moment things are a little bumpy but like the days when SOS was on the go collectively we all helped steer this club we all passionately support back in to calmer waters.

Next time things don't go well please remember things have been worse and support got us through those times. Back the team at the next game and try and leave any negativity at the door and I am sure we will improve. If we lose applaud and move onto the next game because we will turn this corner. Go on give it a try
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

I thought Alex Smith was a name never to be mentioned again.

Some of us are old enough to remember the really dark days when we couldn't even afford to pay part time players £10 a week in the Highland League and had to compete as that league's only amateur side.

Those describing 'foundering' around the tenth best team in the whole land as a crisis or a failure don't know the meaning of either word.

(11-18-2013, 10:24 PM)Brora Boy Wrote: Some of us are old enough to remember the really dark days when we couldn't even afford to pay part time players £10 a week in the Highland League and had to compete as that league's only amateur side.

Those describing 'foundering' around the tenth best team in the whole land as a crisis or a failure don't know the meaning of either word.

The OP was using an example to suggest that we pull together, I'm for that even though I've only been up here 20 years and can't compete in the "I knew darker days than you" competition, despite my age. Can we keep one positive thread please?

I posted immediately after Sundays match about Armageddon comments starting, it might have been blasé, but it was in anticipation of threads full of renting of clothes and gnashing of teeth which in my humble opinion do nothing to help.

Mon the Staggies!

Rainbow 
Heart Perspective is always in short supply. I agree that being 10th best team in Scotland at the moment, aiming for much better, is not bad for this club right now. The fans of every other club are just as upset/ (insert alternative adjective as appropriate) when things don't go as well as they want. Other bubbles have burst (e.g. Hibs, Hearts) and will burst in time (ICT, St J).

Chill and keep the faith. Del and the staff are not dullards. We shall progress.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

(11-18-2013, 10:38 PM)staggie52 Wrote:
(11-18-2013, 10:24 PM)Brora Boy Wrote: Some of us are old enough to remember the really dark days when we couldn't even afford to pay part time players £10 a week in the Highland League and had to compete as that league's only amateur side.

The OP was using an example to suggest that we pull together, I'm for that even though I've only been up here 20 years and can't compete in the "I knew darker days than you" competition, despite my age. Can we keep one positive thread please?

I posted immediately after Sundays match about Armageddon comments starting, it might have been blasé, but it was in anticipation of threads full of renting of clothes and gnashing of teeth which in my humble opinion do nothing to help.

Mon the Staggies!

Can you explain to me how we have come a very long way from virtual bankruptcy in the Highland League and are nowhere near having a crisis or enduring failure is anything other than positive ?

Couldn't agree more. We have to remember where we have come from and for us, competing in the top league is extraordinary.

(11-18-2013, 09:53 PM)Ed Wrote: I have read a lot of criticism of late on here about the teams performances etc . Now some results have not been what we all hoped for but a chance conversation tonight reminded me about the really dark days and I thought I would post my thoughts in the hope that it might just remind some that no matter how 'bad' you think things are then things have been worse and with support from the fans the corner was turned and this great club went from strength to strength.

Was it 2007 that SOS was formed?, I forget now but I recall it was around this time of year that the fans were asked for help and a good number stepped up to the plate. Along with the help of the local community and all the thousands of supporters who go to the games week in week out helped steer this club on a straight course and with a DoF and very able manager we went on from strength to strength and we are where we are now.

I bet mistakes have been made by those in charge but I bet they are all honest mistakes and they have done all they can to keep this club on the straight and narrow. The road may have taken a few twists and turns along the way and at the moment things are a little bumpy but like the days when SOS was on the go collectively we all helped steer this club we all passionately support back in to calmer waters.

Next time things don't go well please remember things have been worse and support got us through those times. Back the team at the next game and try and leave any negativity at the door and I am sure we will improve. If we lose applaud and move onto the next game because we will turn this corner. Go on give it a try

Wee blast from the past:

[Image: 2003_06_06_17_53_21.jpg]

Delighted to still have a football club to support, never mind a top flight one!

As a longstanding season ticketholder I have been around for the dark days but the club has changed beyond all recognition from the "wee" highland league team that shouldn't even be in the league.

There has been a huge amount of money invested by Roy Macgregor which I for one we be eternally grateful for the stadium is amazing the pitch is in fantastic nick, he has put the electrical system right the club is now geared for playing Premiership football.

The only thing missing is a decent team for the fans to get behind it will be interesting to see the attendance for the cup game with Hibs.

Derek Adams has managed to take us to a Scottish cup final into the premiership and to a top six finish all great achievements, but the current team is dire he should be allowed to bring some players in when the window opens to turn things around but RELEGATION on current form is a strong possibility with the money spent this would be a disaster the 1st next year will be a minefield with Rangers possibly Hearts(with no debt).

Yes remember the past but we have to look to the future we can't keep saying we are only a small club I don't believe we are anymore.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

Derek Adams, as well as the team. is having a poor spell at the moment and if he was new to the club would be worthy of concern or even doubt about whether he was up to the job.

However he is the man who shrewdly led us to the cup final glory, who managed to get us out of the hugely competitive First Division and who turned things around after a similarly sticky last year.

A little worried but, because of DA's past achievements at the club confident he will come good and produce a team to keep us up and it wouldn't be the biggest tragedy in the world if that was via the playoffs in front of a packed house at the GES and on national TV.

(11-21-2013, 12:51 PM)Brora Boy Wrote: Derek Adams, as well as the team. is having a poor spell at the moment and if he was new to the club would be worthy of concern or even doubt about whether he was up to the job.

However he is the man who shrewdly led us to the cup final glory, who managed to get us out of the hugely competitive First Division and who turned things around after a similarly sticky last year.

A little worried but, because of DA's past achievements at the club confident he will come good and produce a team to keep us up and it wouldn't be the biggest tragedy in the world if that was via the playoffs in front of a packed house at the GES and on national TV.

No it wouldn't.

We all go through rough spells...pretty sure this is ours...we will get through it,
There's a fine line between genius and insanity

(11-21-2013, 02:01 PM)Stiflers old man Wrote: We all go through rough spells...pretty sure this is ours...we will get through it,

Totally agree - But what a sticky patch, playing in the SPFL with half a season to go, a top 6 finish and a Hampden final under our belts. Lets be honest for a team hailing from a town with a population of less than 6,000 then were having a rough spell many supporters only dream of.

(11-21-2013, 10:51 AM)RCR Wrote:
(11-18-2013, 09:53 PM)Ed Wrote: I have read a lot of criticism of late on here about the teams performances etc . Now some results have not been what we all hoped for but a chance conversation tonight reminded me about the really dark days and I thought I would post my thoughts in the hope that it might just remind some that no matter how 'bad' you think things are then things have been worse and with support from the fans the corner was turned and this great club went from strength to strength.

Wee blast from the past:

[Image: 2003_06_06_17_53_21.jpg]

Delighted to still have a football club to support, never mind a top flight one!

Very sobering picture, you forget how the old Victoria Park stadium looked like. Although the picture may have been taken at the Caledonian Stadium last year?