Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ben Gordon
I know i am probably gonna get slaughtered for this but does anyone else feel Ben Gordon could be a liability in our defence? I have not been convinced by him so far. Maybe he's just taking a while to find his feet at the club?

Thoughts? Or am i just talking rubbish?
Has he got a final baaaalllll???    Shalk's there!!!!

I don't like to slate or say negatives about any of our players but he has been the cause of several goals against us this season, I've been to 8 games this season and every game I have seen him loss possession of the ball in the left back area, and gift oppossing teams good chances, however he does seem to link up well with Carey and de leeuw in an attacking sense, however u most remember he is only 22 and not played a lot lately and he is the replacement for one of our best left back we've had in evangelos ikonomou

Yeah, he has been decent going forward.
Has he got a final baaaalllll???    Shalk's there!!!!

Feel he has got a bit better since the start of the season
County till I die

I think it's harsh to lay blame at any one individual.
He did have a jittery start to the season - as did the entire defence / team. But he has improved of late - as have the rest of the team.

So think it's a bit unjustified to highlight one player.

Yeah, don't think we should be picking out one individual, the team collective didn't start the season well, but has got better with the exception of the Kilmarnock game.

Caley obviously highlighted Ben as a weak link as everything came down his side on Friday and he was constantly out jumped for the majority of high balls, however, he's young, and still trying to find his his feet at the club, so let's get behind the boy and support him as much as we can! I shout encouragement to him every time he takes a thrown in front of the main stand, do the same for Boyd, Carey etc....
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Very harsh to criticise individual players, especially one that has only played 10 league games.
He will need time. Motherwell fans are already on the backs of Vigurs and Lawson, but we know ourselves that they are fantastic players! They will need time, so will the new County boys.
I thought Gordon was having a good game on Friday, despite being under considerable pressure from the Caley 'artillery' and with little or no help from the linesman.

I think he is poor defensively but would agree offensively he links up well. My fear is Carey offers little protection which sometimes leaves Gordon exposed and that's where his decision making as a young defender can be really costly to us. Of the little we saw of the highland derby I thought doran running at Gordon was causing all sorts of probs.... Infact quite a lot of their play came down our left....butcher prob instructed doran..... he was certainly getting more joy down the right against Gordon than down the left against the much improved Kova

All for one and one for all.
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

I think the original post was a fair comment for a forum, and to open up a discussion. we can't just come on here and say everyone and everything is great.

For what it is worth I think we have seen signs of improvement from Ben over the last few games, and Kova looked like last seasons Kova in the ICT game. I am becoming much more confident in our full backs.
From Bottom of Highland League, to sitting at Scottish footballs top table.....If Carlsberg did Football stories!.
@JackMunro9

(10-29-2013, 09:27 PM)Gordie the staggie Wrote: I know i am probably gonna get slaughtered for this but does anyone else feel Ben Gordon could be a liability in our defence? I have not been convinced by him so far. Maybe he's just taking a while to find his feet at the club?

The moment a player turn professional, they have to accept that there will be criticism. As long as it isn't completely unjustified then criticism is part of the game. There are plenty of jobs out there that don't involve putting yourself in front of 3000 people every weekend.

Gordon hasn't been particularly solid so far, and this was definitely picked up on by Mr Butcher who had done his homework.

However, given time he will improve, I'm sure of it.

It wouldn't take much to work out the weakness's in any team in the SP, If Ben Gordon is our only weakness we cant be that bad,most teams have a few.

He had a shaky start, but has improved.

He was good at Kilmarnock and is only 22 years old.

Thought he was ICT's best man on Friday night!!!! Never won a ball against Watkins----- who ain't no Ronaldo!!!!!

Gordon is never going to be outstanding in the air. He doesn't have the build or the height to effectively challenge larger right sided players. I think he's certainly got the technique and ability to go forward that will help us create good link play with De Leeuw/Carey, but is he really any worse in the air than Kova?

I believe he is only in the team due to not having a proper 2nd choice LB to compete with him.

The amount of 50/50 challenges he loses his ridiculous. And failing to clear too.

(10-31-2013, 06:54 PM)Skippers Son Wrote: Thought he was ICT's best man on Friday night!!!! Never won a ball against Watkins----- who ain't no Ronaldo!!!!!

Did we concede a goal that night ? Has Ronaldo played in Scotland?

I like the look of Ben Gordon (and not just his eyebrows).

Yes, he could have done much better at Saints yesterday and he will know he could have prevented their first goal. But he has been starting to show some good touches in recent matches and he has always struck me as a kid eager to learn. You watch him when he has made a mistake and other players are shouting at him. He doesn't do the usual footballer thing of trying to blame somebody else, but looks as if he is trying to learn from the mistake, even trying to make sense of some of the guff that footballers talk when deflecting blame. Always shows respect. I expect he is a dream at training and that will be why DA likes him so much (apart from his eyebrows, of course).

I reckon he could grow to be a fans favourite in the same way that Gaz Miller did. Maybe not this year, but I hope he gets the chance.

(11-03-2013, 02:54 AM)tattiedave Wrote:
(10-31-2013, 06:54 PM)Skippers Son Wrote: Thought he was ICT's best man on Friday night!!!! Never won a ball against Watkins----- who ain't no Ronaldo!!!!!

Did we concede a goal that night ? Has Ronaldo played in Scotland?

Thanks for that !! Most informative !! Oh to be so observant !!!!

To be honest if he is struggling, can we use this to get even more behind him and the rest of the squad, no point in slagging players. He is in a County top trying his best so he gets my full support!