Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Poll: Do you agree Scotland should be an independent Country ?
Yes
No
Unsure
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Independence ? Aye or Naw ?
Indeed, even more surprising given that on the morning of Friday the 19th the eyes of the entire world and a fair chunk of its press may be on the GES as never before.

The Highland Football Academy behind the away end is where the votes from all over the Highland region will be counted. There's a better than 50/50 chance that Highland will be the last region to declare, as Argyll and the Islands are using fixed wing aircraft where Highland is using helicopters.

If the vote is close, it's quite possible that the announcement of an independent Scotland will go down in history as happening at Victoria Park, the home of Ross County.
Ross County Graphics - remember when Cantona played for us!

(09-09-2014, 12:15 PM)Garve Wrote: If the vote is close, it's quite possible that the announcement of an independent Scotland will go down in history as happening at Victoria Park, the home of Ross County.

Wow, I didn't know that. The eyes of the world could be on Ross County. Who needs Patrick Kluivert, eh?!

I'll be there for the count. Looking likely to be very exciting. :-)

Seems to be much panic in the NO campaign, which further tells me we are worth hanging onto, which goes against the theory we are subsidised.

Roll it on.

Interesting that 2 Scottish-based banks now saying they will be moving their headquarters South in the event of a Yes vote, I assume Salmond will, yet again, dust off his single argument against anything put to him and say that the banks are 'scaremongering'. He is playing with a lot of people's livelihoods here, he needs to have an actual argument when questioned about things, not just say it's being raised to scare people. I'm surprised so many intelligent people are being taken in by him.

Lloyds' HQ is in London already and has been for a century.

RBS have said they may move their HQ for technical reasons, but there are no implications for customers or jobs. It's just a question of which building the brass plate is screwed to.

It's not the banks or businesses who are scaremongering. They're just making sensible contingency plans. It's the UK Govt and the media who spin these stories who are doing the scaremongering.

I'm surprised so many intelligent people are taken in by them.

They're making contingency plans because the Yes campaign can't give a viable financial plan post-independence. Alex Salmond's promises are built on ifs and maybes and assumptions.

Rubbish. They're making contingency plans because of course if the country you do business in might split up then the first thing any sensible business does is make contingency plans.

It wouldn't matter if George Osborne had given us a rock-solid, cast iron guarantee that he'd love to have a currency union with us. Banks would still be making contingency plans.

But anyway, RBS have said that their contingency plans won't affect customers or jobs. So what's the problem?

(09-11-2014, 03:17 PM)Garve Wrote: Rubbish. They're making contingency plans because of course if the country you do business in might split up then the first thing any sensible business does is make contingency plans.

It wouldn't matter if George Osborne had given us a rock-solid, cast iron guarantee that he'd love to have a currency union with us. Banks would still be making contingency plans.

But anyway, RBS have said that their contingency plans won't affect customers or jobs. So what's the problem?

I've no problem with the contingency plans, I only mentioned it, as i believe it's another indictement of Salmond's increasingly-rickety argument for a Yes vote

Scotland has a lot of sheep There are two kinds - those with brains and no vote and those with no brains who are just following the shepherd and his collie dog Tongue

Surely that is three kinds?

Out of interest, is there anybody who voted on this poll ages ago who's since changed their mind?

(09-09-2014, 12:15 PM)Garve Wrote: Indeed, even more surprising given that on the morning of Friday the 19th the eyes of the entire world and a fair chunk of its press may be on the GES as never before.

The Highland Football Academy behind the away end is where the votes from all over the Highland region will be counted. There's a better than 50/50 chance that Highland will be the last region to declare, as Argyll and the Islands are using fixed wing aircraft where Highland is using helicopters.

If the vote is close, it's quite possible that the announcement of an independent Scotland will go down in history as happening at Victoria Park, the home of Ross County.

Unfortunately, PA are saying Highland is expected to be 27th of 32 regions to declare their results. So unless there's a major delay (weather downing helicopters, for example) there will be a few after Highland, including the key battlegrounds of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen.

http://election.pressassociation.com/Dec...y_time.php

(09-12-2014, 05:20 PM)Lianacan Wrote: Out of interest, is there anybody who voted on this poll ages ago who's since changed their mind?

Several times!

(09-15-2014, 01:45 PM)Forfinn Wrote: Unfortunately, PA are saying Highland is expected to be 27th of 32 regions to declare their results. So unless there's a major delay (weather downing helicopters, for example) there will be a few after Highland, including the key battlegrounds of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen.

http://election.pressassociation.com/Dec...y_time.php

Don't know where the PA are getting their info from. I've been to two meetings for referendum agents in the last week held at the Highland Council HQ, and at both of them the officers there expect Highland to be last. They won't put a time on it because it's unprecedented.

PS I was wrong in my previous post when I said Highland was using helicopters. They're not using aircraft at all.