Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Poll: Do you agree Scotland should be an independent Country ?
Yes
No
Unsure
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Independence ? Aye or Naw ?
Where do you sit on the fence ?

I'm all over it.
Highlander29

Aye.....

In general, yes. With the SNP in charge, no. I wouldn't trust them to run a piss up in a brewery. They'll see us in an economic nightmare.

(10-21-2013, 03:27 PM)Comrie Wrote: In general, yes. With the SNP in charge, no. I wouldn't trust them to run a piss up in a brewery. They'll see us in an economic nightmare.

I am not a member of any particular party but it seems to me that the SNP have done a pretty competent job of running the Scottish economy in difficult economic times and effectively with one hand tied behind their backs.

Maybe not perfect but, in my view, I would trust them more than any of the alternatives

(10-21-2013, 04:41 PM)Brora Boy Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 03:27 PM)Comrie Wrote: In general, yes. With the SNP in charge, no. I wouldn't trust them to run a piss up in a brewery. They'll see us in an economic nightmare.

I am not a member of any particular party but it seems to me that the SNP have done a pretty competent job of running the Scottish economy in difficult economic times and effectively with one hand tied behind their backs.

Maybe not perfect but, in my view, I would trust them more than any of the alternatives

Football first

We don't need to stick SNP once independent.

Sorry I would not trust wee chieftain oe the pudding race he is all for one. HIMSELF what has he told you that convinces you. The first warning bells is Grangemouth ,the second will be our ship yards, them defence then monetary terms If they lay down their plans for our future tell the truth well. I'm listening. They want to be independant but still want Westminster to pay our pension ,pay for our forces,generate engeneeing. Well wel well

(10-21-2013, 09:42 PM)Gadgigadgi Wrote: Sorry I would not trust wee chieftain oe the pudding race he is all for one. HIMSELF what has he told you that convinces you. The first warning bells is Grangemouth ,the second will be our ship yards, them defence then monetary terms If they lay down their plans for our future tell the truth well. I'm listening. They want to be independant but still want Westminster to pay our pension ,pay for our forces,generate engeneeing. Well wel well

What ship yards? Maybe should read shipyard.

(10-21-2013, 09:42 PM)Gadgigadgi Wrote: Sorry I would not trust wee chieftain oe the pudding race he is all for one. HIMSELF what has he told you that convinces you. The first warning bells is Grangemouth ,the second will be our ship yards, them defence then monetary terms If they lay down their plans for our future tell the truth well. I'm listening. They want to be independant but still want Westminster to pay our pension ,pay for our forces,generate engeneeing. Well wel well

Thank goodness we had the "protection" of being part of the Union in the 1980s otherwise we might have lost our steel works, deep mining, car manufacturing and civilian ship building......

[Image: Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif]
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

I can't understand why the No voters on here haven’t given substance to their case other than they don't like Alex Salmond ?

Really shallow in my opinion.

I wouldn't continue voting SNP if Scotland becomes independent. Alex Salmond is an economist who has donated over £200,000 in his life time to charity while refusing a salary from Westminster for 6 months when he was entitled to it. The bloke isn't "In it for himself".

I can get my head round why folk think its ok for us to rule our education system, have our own legal system, our own health system but not fiscal responsibility or the say on whether we send our troops into foreign lands. It’s like owning a car and not letting yourself steer it in my eyes.
Highlander29

(10-22-2013, 10:12 AM)Brora Boy Wrote:

Thank goodness we had the "protection" of being part of the Union in the 1980s otherwise we might have lost our steel works, deep mining, car manufacturing and civilian ship building......
We lost our steelworks car industry deep mining and ship building, because ,people would not change, example. One man fits a bolt. Oooooh but he is not allowed to tighten it,that is some other person job. A welder requires to have ad weld gouged ooooh he is not allowed to,that is a gougers job plus hundreds of one man one job existed , no work inclement weather, admittedly some blame was with the government,I came through that era,
There was a time when ,if you did not like the look on your gaffers job,you either
Downed tools, or jacked, and walked down the road,to another job ,
I've seen it done it worn the T shirt.

(10-22-2013, 01:23 PM)Gadgigadgi Wrote:

We lost our steelworks car industry deep mining and ship building, because ,people would not change, example. One man fits a bolt. Oooooh but he is not allowed to tighten it,that is some other person job. A welder requires to have ad weld gouged ooooh he is not allowed to,that is a gougers job plus hundreds of one man one job existed , no work inclement weather, admittedly some blame was with the government,I came through that era,
There was a time when ,if you did not like the look on your gaffers job,you either

As much of this maybe true I have no idea what it has to do with the current situation, and if anything, leans towards change than anything else. Lets face it we have been (and continue to be) screwed over by the UK government and if we were a drain to it, we would have been cut free years ago.

(10-22-2013, 01:58 PM)wemyss77 Wrote:

As much of this maybe true I have no idea what it has to do with the current situation, and if anything, leans towards change than anything else. Lets face it we have been (and continue to be) screwed over by the UK government and if we were a drain to it, we would have been cut free years ago.

Well said wemyss77.
Highlander29

(10-22-2013, 01:58 PM)wemyss77 Wrote:

You keep saying we are being screwed,or anything that makes part of this great country look evil,but you do not list the screwed,up parts,I served under the Union Jack my fore fathers before me,www1www2 we fought as a United Kingdom
Thousands of English along with thousands of scots died together,against our enemy at that time, if we were independant then, what would have happened,
This scottish government tells us nothing,no plan or blueprint,no transparency.
How can they pay pensions how can they pay for forces , watch scotland tonight,and see more spin from SNP all spin no facts,everybody has the right to vote for what they believe,so it would be nice to see Alex Salmond take up Mr Darlings challenge tp live debate, on Scotland so far, Salmond has chickened out,
He try's to deflect from this by asking David Cameron !(who I have no time for) to a live debate. His agenda being he would turn it into scots wha hae Scotland versus
England nothing to do with political working of our great country
Yes there were recent futile wars fought ,into which we should never have been in
That is the downside that I detest the Tony Blair regime for.
In this walk of life we have gains and losses,I lost ha nephew Northern Ireland,and a g.reat nephew in Iraq,so I should be bitter,those are the points that SNP should be flagging up. Me I want to be sure.to sit in on some debates,but where will we get the truth. Vote with your conscience. That's what I will do at the end of debates,
Butl I Need to be sure. Not let heart rule listening to the sects what hae

I think folk need to remember that most (if not all) politicians will say anything to try and make a point, or avoid something difficult. Unfortunately that is what they are and what they do, regardless of what they stand for. Got to read between the lines and work out what is best am afraid.

This has all been emotional baseless squabling so far.

This decision should be based purely on facts and figures. No-one should be a "yes" at the moment. Everyone should be a "no" by default. I'm a no, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. The information to do so however, isn't there yet. When a full and detailed business plan for Scotland PLC. is released, then we'll all be in a far better position to comment. Anyone who's already completely made their mind up, IMO, has let their emotions get the better of them and hasn't thought it through.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

Fair point. I have made my decision based on Scotland (with a population of ~5.5 million) leaving the UK (which is governed from London with a population of ~8.2 million within a county of ~53 million) and using her resources (which of course we blessed with significant amounts of in comparison) to balance the books. I think these basic facts and figures say an awful lot.

As I said before though, are we ever going to get the true facts and figures?? Each side will say it is one or the other to back up what they want, and I bet you they will not correlate.

(10-22-2013, 08:56 PM)wemyss77 Wrote: Fair point. I have made my decision based on Scotland (with a population of ~5.5 million) leaving the UK (which is governed from London with a population of ~8.2 million within a county of ~53 million) and using her resources (which of course we blessed with significant amounts of in comparison) to balance the books. I think these basic facts and figures say an awful lot.

As I said before though, are we ever going to get the true facts and figures?? Each side will say it is one or the other to back up what they want, and I bet you they will not correlate.

What facts and figures? Population? None of that actually says anything. My honest belief is that devo max should be granted to:

1. Scotland
2. Northern Ireland
3. Wales
4. Northern England
5. Southern England
6. Greater London

What can be achieved by independance that devo max can't? London is what's wrong with much of the UK. Too many policies are designed for London, with the rest of the UK as an afterthought, and much of England end up in a similar position to Scotland.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

Population Vs land mass and resource I think tell a lot. Taking it right back to basics, England in summer for example is a country that struggles to provide its population with fresh water for flip sake.

To be honest though, I mainly agree with you on devolution, but this is not the option we have to decide on and right now, and we have to look out for what is best for us. How about Kovy for Scotland, he might sort it out.