Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Grant Munro departing?
I don't think we need a replacement, which kind of shows the decision's right. It does pretty much mean, I hope, that the three at the back formation has been shelved.

All the best Grant, rock solid at the back in the two best seasons I've ever had watching County.

Sad to hear that Grant is leaving. He has been superb for us, both in the Division 1 winning season and our first season in the SPL. Of course, that great strike against Celtic was a real highlight, along with many, many fantastic defensive performances. Personally, I feel he still had plenty to offer Ross County. He was my MOTM in the 3 - 0 win against St. Mirren this season. Granty had Steven Thompson in his back pocket for the entire game, and he almost lobbed the keeper from the half-way line! I would dearly love to see more Highland football players like Granty making it. Cheers Granty - all the best!

Munro was an excellent servant and model professional. I'm sure his best days were at County.

However, I certainly don't see four centre backs left with us. There's Boyd and ..................

(10-15-2013, 12:18 PM)staggy4life Wrote: Grant was a rock in our two best and probably most memorable league seasons ever. A great servant to football in the Highlands and young kids should look up to him as he's had a pretty successful career. All the best in his next career move which I'm presuming will be a job at CRC Evans and part-time at Brora.

Do we have a replacement lined up? It still leaves us with 4 centre-backs (Boyd, McLean, Saunders and Micic) so it's not too much of a worry until January.

(10-14-2013, 05:00 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: Sad news to see him go.

He's been brilliant for us getting promoted (our best player that season IMO) and then getting a top 6 finish in the SPL.

Maybe his legs have gone a little - his performances this season haven't been great. He was good against Celtic and St Mirren, but poor against Partick, Dundee Utd and Motherwell.

Thank you Grant Munro.

In the games you say he was poor,there were poor players around him,Granty was trying to cover for others,a great player for us,always gave his best.
NEVER played a poor game

Thank you Grant Munro for helping us into the top league,every other Saturday voted MOM last season
We should wait and see if there was a fallout with D A,hopefully not
Look people It is not the fault of Granty we have been poor,there are still players who were signed still to prove they have it,Grant Munro could have ducked out with injury excuse, to his credit he kept turning out when called upon, please wish Granty all the best he was very often our best performer on our march to top. 'MON the staggie

Well... I'm sad to see it confirmed, but as others have mentioned, regular first team football at a lower level may end up being the best thing for him.

(10-15-2013, 04:32 PM)Gadgigadgi Wrote:

He's been brilliant for us getting promoted (our best player that season IMO) and then getting a top 6 finish in the SPL.

Maybe his legs have gone a little - his performances this season haven't been great. He was good against Celtic and St Mirren, but poor against Partick, Dundee Utd and Motherwell.

Thank you Grant Munro.

In the games you say he was poor,there were poor players around him,Granty was trying to cover for others,a great player for us,always gave his best.
NEVER played a poor game

Thank you Grant Munro for helping us into the top league,every other Saturday voted MOM last season
Look people It is not the fault of Granty we have been poor,there are still players who were signed still to prove they have it,Grant Munro could have ducked out with injury excuse, to his credit he kept turning out when called upon, please wish Granty all the best he was very often our best performer on our march to top. 'MON the staggie

While I agree completely that he was a fantastic player and a key asset for us in the last two seasons, there can be no denying that he did not have a great start to this season. He slowed considerably since last season and he was making blunders that you wouldn't expect of a player of his caliber.

Obviously not all the defensive errors have been his fault, I'm not trying to suggest that at all. Certainly, other players have been poor too, but he has definitely made a number of individual mistakes that cannot be laid at other players feet as you are suggesting.

Regardless, he had an incredible 2 years here and played a very important role in getting us to where we are. I wish him all the best for the future.

To be honest, I don't think we can blame Grant for the errors early on, think the three at the back formation was doomed from the start and requires silky footballing defenders which we do not have - our defenders are old style solid defenders who punt the ball out of the park when in danger - I have no issue with that!

Also, he had to start the season without his main partner last term Scott Boyd - playing with new guys alone can be unsettling but double that with a new formation and you can see why we struggled!

Scott Boyd has made a massive difference since coming back in, and if Grant had been beside him he'd no doubt have been OK - however, the pace of the Motherwell attackers troubled him, and I'm sure he'd rather go out on a high note - getting County into the SPL and finishing in top six will ensure he's never forgotten by the County fans!

Best wishes to you and your family for the future big man, thank you for what you did for Ross County!!

Give the same grit and determination and attitude I your new ventures and. I'm sure you'll be a success!!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(10-15-2013, 04:32 PM)Gadgigadgi Wrote:

Thank you Grant Munro.

NEVER played a poor game

The link to the interview is in this thread. He made it clear there wasn't, had nothing but praise for both Adams. There wasn't a fallout. There never is.

(10-14-2013, 03:49 PM)#1_staggie Wrote: There was a fall out between himself and derek adams. (True for once about a falling out)

Same sharn, different day.

Fair play to him, he was always going to struggle to hold down a starting role this season due to the new signings. He kept Hainault out of the side for most of last season, so kudos for that.

Frees up wages, I'm sure he was one of the biggest earners at the club.

Was immense in our last two seasons. Thought when he signed that he had perhaps (understandably) taken the 'easy' option by staying local and dropping a division. Couldnt have been more wrong! From the first game his commitment, effort, and professionalism was fantastic.

Was a huge part of our success in the last 2 seasons, and remember thinking afew games into our championship winning season that it felt as if he had been at county for years. Must go down as a county great, and after only being here for just over 2 years I think that says something.

Many thanks, Grant, and best of luck!

I would agree with the current MFR fan-zone County 'Dream Team' which is on-going, but where Boyd and Irvine have picked as our all time top CB's. But as a pairing who played together it would have to be Munro and Boyd surely, 40 unbeaten run, Div1, SPL top 6.

(10-15-2013, 07:37 PM)StuartTaylor Wrote: I would agree with the current MFR fan-zone County 'Dream Team' which is on-going, but where Boyd and Irvine have picked as our all time top CB's. But as a pairing who played together it would have to be Munro and Boyd surely, 40 unbeaten run, Div1, SPL top 6.

Munro and Boyd definitely 40 games unbeaten c'mon

(10-15-2013, 07:37 PM)StuartTaylor Wrote: I would agree with the current MFR fan-zone County 'Dream Team' which is on-going, but where Boyd and Irvine have picked as our all time top CB's. But as a pairing who played together it would have to be Munro and Boyd surely, 40 unbeaten run, Div1, SPL top 6.

Does The deft skill, sensitivity, speed and airiel awareness of Don Cowie senior not get a mention. They know nothing them MFR listeners!!
To Grantie, thanks for everything, we had a blast

I doff my hat to you Mr. Munro, well said, well payed.

From Grant's twitter page below - don't believe the rubbish about fall outs, just WUM's making stuff up:

"Would like to thank ross county and fans also ex teammates for there kind words overwhelmed."

The only fall out would have been genuine football gurn which is normal - in my head, something like below:

Grant: hey Derek, why are you not picking me...

Derek: Sorry Grant, but I'm going with a younger central defence this season...

Grant: You calling me old ya wee guffy....

Derek: Well......

Grant: Look away Kovy.......SCUD!!!!!*^#%

A handsome man enters: Hey Grant, did you just say "look away Kovy?" - who the f*** is Kovy??
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Grant, greatly indebted for all you have done for RC. You have been an integral part of the club in a defining moment of its history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24534131

Munro in P&J:
"I had 2 great years, the management, players, chairman and everyone behind the scenes was great with me. There was no fallout whatsoever and I don't have a bad word to say about the club. I would like to thank the manager and George Adams for not standing in my way, I know it leaves them short of cover until the January window but they were very understanding".

Clearly a fallout.

I'm currently visiting Mickey mouse in Florida so I'm just catching up with the news. I was speaking to a County fan and a Caley fan at different times today and neither mentioned Grant so not common knowledge over here yet.
Like everyone else a great big thanks to Grant for the last two years especially SPL promotion and 40 unbeaten. Hope you enjoy Highland league football for a few seasons yet.

Thanks for the memories Grant. You were a rock. Best of luck for the future.
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

(10-17-2013, 12:33 AM)dawyckstag Wrote: I'm currently visiting Mickey mouse in Florida so I'm just catching up with the news. I was speaking to a County fan and a Caley fan at different times today and neither mentioned Grant so not common knowledge over here yet.
Like everyone else a great big thanks to Grant for the last two years especially SPL promotion and 40 unbeaten. Hope you enjoy Highland league football for a few seasons yet.

After reading through threads,the latest going on at county make me think that this is an admission of yet another (we don't know what to do here) misjudgment on DM part. c,mon lads there are still guys signed,who have still not stepped up to the table
We shall soon be passed halfway stage,I have it from good authority that good professionals will not come on short term contract,people need stability in their lives
And just won't sign a one year deal,frankly I do not blame. Them.
We need people who back their conviction on players, by bringing in good experience players . Priority being they Want to play for county if they see a future for their families in this area.and surely CEO is the man to assure them .
Grant Munro did not just wake n up last Friday and say I want to go,was he pushed
just an opinion lads. ! I'm just saying!! Grant Munro time should have been end of last season.
Before anyone goes off half cocked on this remember you can fool some of the people some of the time,but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.
Transparency tell support as it really is we won,t run away we will back the Staggie no to the death C'MON the county