Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Safe Standing
Please can we follow the same process as Celtic and get the Jailend back to how it should be. Small drop in the price to maybe £18 would make a difference also perhaps?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24232993

Everyone in agreement?

Not sure spending more on our stadium for less, would be the priority right now.

(09-24-2013, 07:18 PM)Bovril Boy Wrote: Please can we follow the same process as Celtic and get the Jailend back to how it should be. Small drop in the price to maybe £18 would make a difference also perhaps?

Everyone in agreement?

Brilliant idea, bring it on.(sooner the better)

I think it's a great idea, as it would allow the club cater for those wishing to stand at games.

I just wonder given that we have around 9 months until the end of the season if we would be able to get this in motion to be done during next summer.
The only stumbling block would be the cost - I just wonder if the club were to ask would some fans dig into their pockets and help raise some of the cash?

I think this would appeal to a lot of the 'hardcore' who used to be in the Jailend before the seating went in last season. Noticed in most of our home games this season a lot of empty seats in the stand too. Anything that raises attendances can only be considered a good thing, also it may improve the atmosphere in that part of the ground as its been a lot more subdued this season (some of this may be down to the mixed results though!!)

(09-24-2013, 07:18 PM)Bovril Boy Wrote: Please can we follow the same process as Celtic and get the Jailend back to how it should be. Small drop in the price to maybe £18 would make a difference also perhaps?

Everyone in agreement?

IMO would be a very good move. More atmosphere and fun = more entertainment. If a club can increase the level of entertainment then it will increase ticket sales.
A couple of concerns.
The little I have read about Safe Standing points to it being initially expensive to fit and as it has been pointed out we have already spent large sums on upgrading the ground (some of it to comply with rules that no longer apply Angry).
I would also be concerned about pricing. Safe Standing could well be oversubscribed, tempting clubs to increase prices in these areas rather than reduce them.
For me standing at a match increases my enjoyment so if I'm honest I would be prepared to pay a couple of £s extra. Not saying this is right nor am I singling out County just facing the realities.

I'm all for the idea of standing, but does it need to be safe standing! Was it really that dangerous before? Yes, obviously there have been tragic incidents in the past, but they were more down to the fact that too many people were admitted into the section of ground. If it was deemed safe for us to be standing in the Jailend 2 years ago there is no reason for it to be unsafe now. We had safety certificates issued by the relevant body (council and police perhaps? )and we would have had a strict limit on the number of tickets sold. We do not have a law in Scotland banning standing as they do in England and Wales. We simply had the SPL stupid rule. The SPFL need to just apply a bit of common sense. As long as entry to the standing area is controlled and it is separated from the seated areas(so nobody with a ticket for a seat migrates to the standing area) Then I see no need for expensive safe standing.
The only fly in the ointment, is that you need an all seater stadium for playing in UEFA competitions. This is the reason that bigger clubs who play in Europe regularly, need to put in expensive safe standing as this incorporates fold away seats which they must use when playing a European tie. So it is a matter of do we spend a fortune and put in safe standing in case we ever get the odd game in Europe or do we just campaign to go back to how we were before. This is the option I would choose, live for the moment, not for what could be. We would surely be able to sell our nearly new seats and if we did get to Europe we would just not have anyone in the Jailend, so our capacity would be reduced by however much the seated jailend holds!!(number anyone?) .... Obviously if money was not a problem then sell the seats and put it towards the cost of safe standing!

The Jailend in its current format has a capacity of around 800. When it was terrace it was closer to 1300 I think

Couple of points -

Why do we need to add anything to the old terraces that were there, if this is new legislation then the clubs should fight for the most cost effective method of providing the standing areas.

Should the law or whatever is required not allow a certain percentage of the grounds capacity to be standing, so say 20% is allowed to be standing in no more than 1500 capacity areas then we could get the Jailend back as it was.

The semi temporary seating that was put in place in the Jailend surely still has a value and can be reused if it was taken out so the expense isnt as much as some might be thinking.

Who else would pay extra to watch from a standing area in the ground, ive never really seen it like this but if the paying customer wants to pay for this then the clubs should oblige surely.

Ive watched games down south with attendances larger than ours where large percentages of the support are allowed to stand, why can that not happen here. Legally there is therefore an example of this working safely that should be pursued perhaps.

We all seem to want this so we should be approaching the club or they should make their thoughts on this clear to the fans. Any ideas on how we take this forward?

At last, it must be an option,I hate sitting down to watch football.the temporary seating would come out easily and would definitely have a resale value.there is plenty of space around the ground for those that prefer to sit.The Jailend was always to small and shallow imo for seating.

(09-25-2013, 01:37 PM)Bovril Boy Wrote: Couple of points -

Why do we need to add anything to the old terraces that were there, if this is new legislation then the clubs should fight for the most cost effective method of providing the standing areas.

Should the law or whatever is required not allow a certain percentage of the grounds capacity to be standing, so say 20% is allowed to be standing in no more than 1500 capacity areas then we could get the Jailend back as it was.

The semi temporary seating that was put in place in the Jailend surely still has a value and can be reused if it was taken out so the expense isnt as much as some might be thinking.

Who else would pay extra to watch from a standing area in the ground, ive never really seen it like this but if the paying customer wants to pay for this then the clubs should oblige surely.

Ive watched games down south with attendances larger than ours where large percentages of the support are allowed to stand, why can that not happen here. Legally there is therefore an example of this working safely that should be pursued perhaps.

We all seem to want this so we should be approaching the club or they should make their thoughts on this clear to the fans. Any ideas on how we take this forward?

I do not believe there was ever a law or legislation in Scotland regarding standing in stadiums. That is the point I was making. It was simply a SPL 'rule', same as, you had to have x amount of seating. All stadiums and indeed venues of all kind need to be checked and given safety certificates. And if were deemed safe by whoever gave us our safety certificate for 1300 'league 1/2/3' fans to stand, then I am sure we would get a certificate for 1300 'premiership' fans to stand. It was just an SPL rule!!! Has the SPFL retained this rule for the PL,I do not know, but I think someone should be challenging them about this.

I remember talking to Ranald, a couple of years back, when I brought up the subject of standing areas inside the ground, he stated then, that the SFA would not allow a small club like ours, standing areas until Celtic and Rangers was granted them, when that happened then the other clubs would get it

(09-25-2013, 04:14 PM)Hambo34 Wrote: I remember talking to Ranald, a couple of years back, when I brought up the subject of standing areas inside the ground, he stated then, that the SFA would not allow a small club like ours, standing areas until Celtic and Rangers was granted them, when that happened then the other clubs would get it

Well it would be interesting to know the SFA's reasoning behind that, (not to mention that a couple of years ago we had standing!) as they did not have objections to us having standing when we were in the SFL. Nothing has changed except the league that we are in. We are the same people and would just want to have the same capacity in the jailend as the relevant authorities deemed was safe to have before. We can argue that we have a proven track record of no problems regarding safety in the Jailend. Celtic and Rangers are a different problem altogether. They have no recent history of behaving themselves in a standing environment. Although of course they would not want the kind of open terraces we want back, because they would not be allowed to use them in Europe. They would have to go for the 'safe standing' option.

It wasn't the SFA's decision. The Scottish government dictated all seating for the Scotland's top division, the SPL went with it. It's all a bit murky, no one body is blameless for the decision.

Just had a quick look on the Scottish government web site and found this!!
''Following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 and Lord Justice Taylor's report, the then Scottish Office agreed to the implementation of the key Taylor recommendations in Scotland on a voluntary basis by the football authorities. All clubs which compete in the Scottish Premier League are required to play in all-seated covered stadia.
Under that Act, Scottish Ministers designate stadia requiring a General Safety Certificate from the appropriate local authority. Stadia subject to designation are those which in the opinion of the Scottish Ministers have accommodation, whether seated, standing or a combination of the two, for more than 10,000 spectators.''

Well if Caley can bend the rules...

I think all we need do is speak to the police and local authorities who give the safety certificate and ask if they would be happy to grant a safety license to us if the Jailend was returned to its former condition.

If they go for standing at the Jailend and open a bar at the back they can name their price for a ticket - might only last a couple of games before being closed by the authorities but it would create the best atmosphere ever!

(09-25-2013, 01:06 PM)thejailender Wrote: The Jailend in its current format has a capacity of around 800. When it was terrace it was closer to 1300 I think

They will never allow 1300 standing in the jailend now a days.....
There's a fine line between genius and insanity

I want the Jailend back to the older fans out of it

(09-25-2013, 08:35 PM)number8 Wrote: If they go for standing at the Jailend and open a bar at the back they can name their price for a ticket - might only last a couple of games before being closed by the authorities but it would create the best atmosphere ever!

Don't get me started on the drink at games topic again but you are right give the fans what they want within reason and crowds will improve. Would the half time cheerleaders back be too much to expect as well?!

Victoria Park is not viable. We have too small a ground. You still need to fulfill the minimum of 6,000 covered number seats. Safe Standing the Jailend would see us fall below the minimum 6,000 required.

If it was to happen it should have been done when the redevelopment was getting planned.
YOINK