Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Standards of refereeing
Here is a quiz about the rules of the game from the SFA website. You get a different set of questions each time you enter the page.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football_quiz.cfm?page=3157

of course a ref is never going to see everything that is going on all the time...but for a linesman to not see something that is happening in front of him he is suppose to watch for then look at the ref and wait for his decision just does not sound right...they get money for this!! Don't thinkmy boss would be happy if I don't do my job right I get paid for!!!

As much as I think the refereeing on Sunday was atrocious in general I think the standard is pretty high. You only need to watch any top tournament to see how wrong they can get it at the top level, they're only human.
it is extremely frustrating though when the outcome of a match can be affected by a series of poor decisions by the refereeing rather than players.

I honestly think most top flight referees aren't actually that bad. 95% of all the problems I've seen over the last fourteen months or so have come from bad work from the assistants. A few in particular have not even been of a high enough standard for third division games!

(09-17-2013, 04:01 PM)ImportStaggie Wrote: ...but for a linesman to not see something that is happening in front of him he is suppose to watch for then look at the ref and wait for his decision just does not sound right...

What are you referring to there?

(09-17-2013, 04:01 PM)ImportStaggie Wrote: ...they get money for this!! Don't thinkmy boss would be happy if I don't do my job right I get paid for!!!

Do you do your job under the scrutiny of 3,000 bosses?

I think of the main problems is lack of support (or should I say technology) to help refs. Key match changing incidents such as: penalties, goals (over the line or not), offside or not goals, instant red card tackles etc should in this day of age be available as TV footage to the ref, so he can ensure he has as much info as possible to get it right. Easy really.

The Premiership is also getting its share of duff ref's this season,even the great,Howard Webb has had a few howlers this year.

I still think the problem is the refs and linesmen are not held accountable by the governing body...so mistakes go unchallenged...(except for the odd red card appeal) which still doesn't penalise the ref
There's a fine line between genius and insanity

(09-18-2013, 07:26 AM)Stiflers old man Wrote: I still think the problem is the refs and linesmen are not held accountable by the governing body...so mistakes go unchallenged...(except for the odd red card appeal) which still doesn't penalise the ref

Are there not referee supervisors sitting in the stands these days? I'm not sure what penalties you have in mind but do you think there is a pool of brilliantly competent and all-seeing referees available and waiting in the wings when a ref gets a red card (or whatever) for making a mistake?

There are plenty consistent refs out there....they probably still make mistakes...we cannot expect them to be perfect..but when they are making mistakes all through a game then something needs to be done to sort it..like provide retraining or the likes....I sit right beside the dugouts..I hear what the managers say to the 4th official and it aint pretty.....On sunday the 4th official actually started agreeing with DA......which tells me there is something amiss

Those complaining about the refereeing have short memories. The standard when we were relegated to Div 2 was interesting to say the least.

(09-15-2013, 10:19 PM)kenthehood Wrote: I thought Brown got a strong hand to the ball before the striker fell over him.

By now we will all have seen the replay which shows that Brown did not touch the ball.

Not having a go just pointing out how easy it is to get it wrong. The ref is in the same position gets one look and has to decide.

Have any of you whingers every tried to referee a football match at any level?

Give it a try.

What are you referring to there? the incident at the goal near jailend side..

Do you do your job under the scrutiny of 3,000 bosses? Not 3000 but a mistake in my job can be very costly!
[/quote]

For me..Max is right, always amazes me the amount of moaning at the ref people do (even last night playing 7-a-sides guys desperate to have a square go....).

Seen a lot worse refereeing performances than Sundays..our penalty was as obvious as they come though, and probably a red card to follow.

I still dont understand why we dont have what every other sports has with some kind of instant review/replay/appeal system. I cant think of any sport that doesn't have that at its top level... maybe basketball...snooker...squash maybe??

Never a red card..it wasn't an open goal scoring opportunity...

(09-18-2013, 12:44 PM)Max Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 10:19 PM)kenthehood Wrote: I thought Brown got a strong hand to the ball before the striker fell over him.

By now we will all have seen the replay which shows that Brown did not touch the ball.

Not having a go just pointing out how easy it is to get it wrong. The ref is in the same position gets one look and has to decide.

Give it a try.

I trained to be a ref, done one line in a welfare game, nearly lamped out a supporter and then realised I didn't have the temperament for it. What it did tell me is that linesman have to guess with a few offsides. Test yourself, put your head at an angle where Boydie may be lumping it up he park. Lino has to check the defenders position, then check when Boydie lumps it up, then watch the forward. It takes over a second to do that and by then Sproule can be over a metre away. The rule is impossible to manage, so give them a break sometimes!

(09-18-2013, 06:35 PM)Alfiesdad Wrote:

Give it a try.

I trained to be a ref, done one line in a welfare game, nearly lamped out a supporter and then realised I didn't have the temperament for it. What it did tell me is that linesman have to guess with a few offsides. Test yourself, put your head at an angle where Boydie may be lumping it up he park. Lino has to check the defenders position, then check when Boydie lumps it up, then watch the forward. It takes over a second to do that and by then Sproule can be over a metre away. The rule is impossible to manage, so give them a break sometimes!

OK, I'll tone it down on Saturday......;0)
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(09-18-2013, 06:35 PM)Alfiesdad Wrote:

I was at least 100 yards away,the ref on the other hand was much closer ,What I would like to know is,have any of these refs played the game at any level.
Give it a try.

Gee whiz, did not realise we had so many referee sympathisers on this site.
Spilt decisions, and hard to make calls made it very hard for the 3 Amigos on Sunday.
Eh, no, fact is Brian Colvin was absolutely rank in almost every area, some of decisions were pathetic.
He paraded about like a prize peacock; he appeared to be more interested in getting into the shower than doing a game of football.
Forget the penalty and the offside decisions, yes they got them wrong, that’s life, but all the other bad decisions in between, there were many.
A total inept performance, on a scale of 1-10, he ranks 2 on Sunday’s performance.
And the Dundee United supporting linesman on the stand side, well lets not bother slating him, I don’t have enough time.

I saw no feathers or shower gel. In fact I am wondering if you were at a different game from me. You seem to have been at a stadium with a stand missing from one side. A Highland League match perhaps?