Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Standards of refereeing
Let me be quite clear before I start - this thread is opened up to discuss a wider issue. It is not s tirade that the ref cost us the game today. DU deserved their win today and anything else would have been wrong but the referees performance today left an awful lot to be desired.

The main person on the pitch today was the referee. This is not what we pay to see. The number of dubious decisions - both ways - casts a question of competence ( and potentially worse) about our referees. We should expect a competent and consistent standard of decision making, a firm control on tackling and correct application of the rules.

For example today I could not work out why the tackle on Luckassen was not a penalty, Why the offside Utd goal was not disallowed, even after ref and linesman discussed it, and that wasn't the only offside decision that was wrong, at one point a Utd forward was pulled up for offside when actually hadn't touched the ball, why Mackay Stevens wasn't yellow or even red carded for his tackle from behind late in the second half on (Carey I think) why Mark Brown wasn't yellow carded after the penalty award in the first half. Why so many potentially serious tackles by both sides were not dealt with. Why Mackay Steven was not at least spoken to for his persistent 'gamesmanship'. None of the officials seemed to be au fait with the rules.

We have seen poor displays fo referreing in the past but this today took the biscuit. What needs to be done to reduce this lottery? If I had invested heavily in a business that's success was to a varied degree at the mercy of people who do not consistently apply standards of control I would be one unhappy person. But then I wouldn't make that type of investment.

I think today's officials were an embarrassment to Scottish football
Something needs to be done to score refs and sort out this rubbish .. The ref today after Adams went mental at the 4th official lost control and just didn't know what to to for the rest of the second half it was shocking, but seems the norm now
There's a fine line between genius and insanity

The ref was pretty poor today, God knows what he was thinking with the penalty for Utd, took ages then awarded it. In my view it looked really harsh and I wasn't alone in thinking that. Our "penalty" was a shocker, the ref should have given Kev a standing count of 8 he was floored that obviously, the linesmen were anonymous, should have helped the ref much more.

He missed too many calls. The first penalty decision was a real blow and started the capitulation.

I may of course be proved wrong by TV but I'm not anticipating that..........
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

(09-15-2013, 07:05 PM)the reaper Wrote: Let me be quite clear before I start - this thread is opened up to discuss a wider issue. It is not s tirade that the ref cost us the game today. DU deserved their win today and anything else would have been wrong but the referees performance today left an awful lot to be desired.

The main person on the pitch today was the referee. This is not what we pay to see. The number of dubious decisions - both ways - casts a question of competence ( and potentially worse) about our referees. We should expect a competent and consistent standard of decision making, a firm control on tackling and correct application of the rules.

For example today I could not work out why the tackle on Luckassen was not a penalty, Why the offside Utd goal was not disallowed, even after ref and linesman discussed it, and that wasn't the only offside decision that was wrong, at one point a Utd forward was pulled up for offside when actually hadn't touched the ball, why Mackay Stevens wasn't yellow or even red carded for his tackle from behind late in the second half on (Carey I think) why Mark Brown wasn't yellow carded after the penalty award in the first half. Why so many potentially serious tackles by both sides were not dealt with. Why Mackay Steven was not at least spoken to for his persistent 'gamesmanship'. None of the officials seemed to be au fait with the rules.

We have seen poor displays fo referreing in the past but this today took the biscuit. What needs to be done to reduce this lottery? If I had invested heavily in a business that's success was to a varied degree at the mercy of people who do not consistently apply standards of control I would be one unhappy person. But then I wouldn't make that type of investment.

Reaper you are on a roll today - again I am 100% with you on this, I was so angry today with some of the decisions that it's a wonder I wasn't asked to leave the west stand - that is the first time I have gotten that wound up that I punched the empty seat beside me with anger!

These people make major decisions that could spark crowd trouble and I agree that something should be said.

I also agree that the better side won today, but the result may not have felt so sore if the game had been marshalled better!

Shocking today and the linesman in front of the west stand had a shocker also!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Thumbs Up 
(09-15-2013, 07:37 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: ... it's a wonder I wasn't asked to leave the west stand - that is the first time I have gotten that wound up that I punched the empty seat beside me with anger!...

A good side to the low attendance - at least nobody sat beside staggie2509 to get a punch in the pus.
Jim'n'Billy Cult Follower

(09-15-2013, 07:55 PM)Les Westander Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 07:37 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: ... it's a wonder I wasn't asked to leave the west stand - that is the first time I have gotten that wound up that I punched the empty seat beside me with anger!...

A good side to the low attendance - at least nobody sat beside staggie2509 to get a punch in the pus.

Ha ha ha, not my style, but the injustice got to me today, was also angry with some of the defending on show from us, it's hard to watch given how solid we were last season.....
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(09-15-2013, 07:13 PM)Stiflers old man Wrote: I think today's officials were an embarrassment to Scottish football
Something needs to be done to score refs and sort out this rubbish .. The ref today after Adams went mental at the 4th official lost control and just didn't know what to to for the rest of the second half it was shocking, but seems the norm now

This need not be the norm. one way of stopping it is to complain to the SFA about the Officials using any clips from highlight footage. Or point out incidents during the match that contravene rules.

They will have to respond and if not then you should forward copy emails on to FIFA who will respond as I have always found them more pro- active in such matters

SFA will belatedly respond to you if FIFA ask for a report, so don't be Shy get Typing.
You can take the People out of the Highlands but not the Highlands out of the People

We should have have got two penalties in the first half today,I thought Brown got a strong hand to the ball before the striker fell over him.In the second half I think the linesman was going by the shout,most of the time and he got most of them wrong.Personally I think our refs have been dreadfull for a number of years, and the powers that be continue to ignore the problem after the Dougie Macdonald,Celtic and Dundee Utd problem a few years back.
The refs seem to think the game is all about them now,no matter how bad they perform,they will be back in charge of another game the following week.Wee Willie Collum had a nightmare yesterday,and will be officiating in Europe this week.

(09-15-2013, 10:19 PM)kenthehood Wrote: We should have have got two penalties in the first half today,I thought Brown got a strong hand to the ball before the striker fell over him.In the second half I think the linesman was going by the shout,most of the time and he got most of them wrong.Personally I think our refs have been dreadfull for a number of years, and the powers that be continue to ignore the problem after the Dougie Macdonald,Celtic and Dundee Utd problem a few years back.
The refs seem to think the game is all about them now,no matter how bad they perform,they will be back in charge of another game the following week.Wee Willie Collum had a nightmare yesterday,and will be officiating in Europe this week.

Quite simply, the officials today were an embarrassment to their profession.
They should hang their heads in shame at some of their decisions today.
I have said it before; I wish the SFA would stop sending trialists/trainee officials up here.
It would appear as if some of them can’t be bothered coming North, if that’s the case the SFA and FIFA should weed them out and replace them.
Having said all that, County were not good today.
Just watched the Hears game, more embarrassing decisions!
Willie Useless Collum.

completely agree...the linesman on the west stand side did not make a single decision for himself. he kept looking at the referee for the decision. And so biased...A DU defender hanging on Rocco Quinn and the game was going on, but one of our defenders jumped above Mackay steven and they got the free kick....
i really wish I knew how ref get judged by their mistakes during the games...not very often do you hear a referee has been taken out of a league because of shambolic refereeing.

I must have seen a different game today as the stand out concern for me is not the quality or judgement of the officials.

(09-15-2013, 11:58 PM)ImportStaggie Wrote: completely agree...the linesman on the west stand side did not make a single decision for himself. he kept looking at the referee for the decision. And so biased...A DU defender hanging on Rocco Quinn and the game was going on, but one of our defenders jumped above Mackay steven and they got the free kick....
i really wish I knew how ref get judged by their mistakes during the games...not very often do you hear a referee has been taken out of a league because of shambolic refereeing.

Just for the record!

Hearts V Raith, 27-August, League Cup
Raith Rovers contest Dougie Hill red card.
Yep! You’ve guessed it, Brian Colvin!

03-January-2013
Kilmarnock took an early lead against St Mirren when Liam Kelly scored from the spot but was the right call made?
Yep! You’ve guessed it, Brian Colvin!

Brian Colvin who was in my year at school. He's a die-hard jambo!????????

Quote from Him, my friend is a referee, so I decided to give it a go.
I’ve got news for you pal, if your friends given up refereeing, you should give it up also.
Just hope he is not returning to Dingwall next Saturday for the Hearts game!

However, please note, does not matter what is said on here, you can email/write to the SFA all you want, I guarantee they will persevere with this Numpty.
Just look at Willie Useless Collum, controversial coming through the ranks, and still making very bad decision’s in the Hearts V Celtic game.

The conspiracy theory continues.
Referee Brian Colvin is a Hearts supporter!
Assistants, Stuart Stevenson and Gavin Harris both from Tayside, Angus & Perthshire referees association.
Dundee United supporters?
Oh dear! What a mess Scottish football is in!

(09-16-2013, 07:30 AM)Freedom Wrote: I must have seen a different game today as the stand out concern for me is not the quality or judgement of the officials.

You clearly have not understood the purpose of this thread. It is to discuss the geberal standard of referees and what can be done about it. A very good answer was given above and we should try to take some action to improve things. Comments as above do not help this discussion and merely sidetrack into meaningless argument which does nothing for the game. We all agree that we did not remotely deserve to win the game and there are problems with our defence

(09-15-2013, 07:05 PM)the reaper Wrote: Let me be quite clear before I start - this thread is opened up to discuss a wider issue. It is not s tirade that the ref cost us the game today. DU deserved their win today and anything else would have been wrong but the referees performance today left an awful lot to be desired.

I 100% agree with you all 4 of them were crap I seen on the highlights how can the ref give the pen I don't know also when I seen the challenge on Luckassen from the TV for me was a 50-50 the one on Kets deffo a pen and the hand ball should have been given all and all not a good performance from the ref,the lineos and the 4th I think the SFA should be having a big look at the refs ect in Scotland and think abought getting them in full time

Would not surprise me one little bit, if the so called officials at the game, had a fixed odds coupon, on having 6 aways, how many bookings, penalties award to said team.
They went on about Ian Black, although I have no proof, I'am sure there at it as well

(09-16-2013, 11:03 AM)the reaper Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 07:30 AM)Freedom Wrote: I must have seen a different game today as the stand out concern for me is not the quality or judgement of the officials.

You clearly have not understood the purpose of this thread. It is to discuss the geberal standard of referees and what can be done about it. A very good answer was given above and we should try to take some action to improve things. Comments as above do not help this discussion and merely sidetrack into meaningless argument which does nothing for the game. We all agree that we did not remotely deserve to win the game and there are problems with our defence

I repeat. There are many issues that concern me a lot more than the standard of officiating this season. For me, it is and always has been, a topic of conversation that only raises its head when all is not well on the field. Equally, I don't accept it is any worse than previous years and is considerably better than some I see elsewhere in Europe.

For the record, I do clearly understand the purpose of the thread and have chosen to contribute as I see relevant. Apologies if I misunderstand the purpose of a forum.

(09-16-2013, 06:07 PM)Freedom Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 11:03 AM)the reaper Wrote:

I repeat. There are many issues that concern me a lot more than the standard of officiating this season. For me, it is and always has been, a topic of conversation that only raises its head when all is not well on the field. Equally, I don't accept it is any worse than previous years and is considerably better than some I see elsewhere in Europe.

For the record, I do clearly undersatnd the purpose of the thread and have chosen to contribute as I see relevant. Apologies if I misundestand the purpose of a forum.

It is not just County fans that have a problem with refs,look at Hearts,they cant even head the ball in the box without risking penalties.

It would be nice if the referees always got the decisions right, but is that realistic? The ref has one look at an incident, and has 22 guys around him trying to pull the wool over his eyes. He has two assistants, but they are not allowed on to the pitch so will usually be some distance from the action, and usually trying to look in two directions at the same time to judge off side decisions. Why does anyone think that in these circumstances mistakes are not going to be made over 90 minutes?

ok, so we all agree, the standard of refereeing could be much better. That's life in a nutshell and every club (including the gruesome twosome) think they are hard done by year in year out. Lets get on with it and stop bleeding whinging.

Ref was not the worst I've seen at Dingwall. Don't think the ref could have given the penalty but the lino on the west stand could and should! We're starting to sound like Celtic with all these daft agendas and conspiricies. Would be nice though if some of our fans could learn the rules and not keep shouting for offside constantly and calling the lino's slow for not putting flag up until the player touches it, like the rules state!
Refereeing is not any better or worse than any other country. Just because our defence tried to hide their own inadeqacies by flailing their hands up every time they get their lines wrong is not the blame of the officials