Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
SPFL Point of Pedantry
Information 
The division that we play in is not the SPFL.

It is the Scottish Premiership, which you could shorten to "SP" if you like.
Or "Premiership".
Or "Scot-Prem"

The SPFL is the amalgamated body that runs the Scottish Premiership, the Scottish Championship and Scottish Leagues One and Two.

This replaces SPL and SFL Divisions 1 to 3.

Just saying.
Soz Jim'n'Billy

(09-04-2013, 01:15 PM)Les Westander Wrote: The division that we play in is not the SPFL.

Or "Premiership".
Or "Scot-Prem"

The SPFL is the amalgamated body that runs the Scottish Premiership, the Scottish Championship and Scottish Leagues One and Two.

Just saying.

"Top tier". At least then in a few years time when they decide to change it (or should I say when the English change) it will still be validBig Grin

(09-04-2013, 01:29 PM)wemyss77 Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 01:15 PM)Les Westander Wrote: The division that we play in is not the SPFL.

Or "Premiership".
Or "Scot-Prem"

Just saying.

"Top tier". At least then in a few years time when they decide to change it (or should I say when the English change) it will still be validBig Grin

I agree although good old fashioned First Division would be better still.

(09-04-2013, 01:52 PM)Brora Boy Wrote: I agree although good old fashioned First Division would be better still.

Fat chance. More likely to go to the TeraPrem, GigaPrem, MegaPrem and the plain old Prem for our 4 divisions.

Exclamation 
Topical Top Tier Tip

revisited due to this error slipping in to just too many posts and comments on social media:

(09-04-2013, 01:15 PM)Les Westander Wrote: The division that we (still) play in is not the SPFL.

Or "Premiership".
Or "Scot-Prem"

Just saying.

I thank you.
Soz Jim'n'Billy

You must admit though - a 7th place finish in the SPFL is pretty good.

See, technically you're right. We are 7th in the SPFL, but that's 7th out of 42. I noticed that half the so-called pundits don't understand it though. They kept talking about the possibility of both Edinburgh sides dropping out of the SPFL.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

I can see no reason why we cannot just carry on calling it the SPL. The league we play in is after all the Scottish Premiership League, so SPL makes sense and is easier and quicker to type than any of the alternatives!

Or "Premiership".
Or "Scot-Prem"

Just saying.

You sure you don't sit in the east stand Tongue

Maybe it should be the SPFLP

The Scottish Professional Football League Premiership!!!!!

You're missing a "Scottish" in there, Max.

/pedant.

The SPFLSP.

They really did make a backside of naming the leagues didn't they? For the meantime, I'll probably continue to call the divisions SPL and First Division etc.

Just look at the English leagues if you want to know what they're called. Sadly Doncaster & co just name ours after theirs as they lack the ability to come up with anything unique to promote the "product". Maybe that's why they struggle to even find a sponsor, as the Premiership already has one.

Snipey post ends.

Lightbulb 
(05-12-2014, 01:26 PM)FilthyStaggie Wrote: Just look at the English leagues if you want to know what they're called. Sadly Doncaster & co just name ours after theirs as they lack the ability to come up with anything unique to promote the "product". Maybe that's why they struggle to even find a sponsor, as the Premiership already has one.

Snipey post ends.

Yes I find that a bit embarrassing as it looks like we are painting the senior Scottish leagues as directly equivalent to the ones South of the Border. Which they just are not.

I suppose a rebrand was needed with the restructure but it would have been good to create something a bit more original.

The Tiger League
The Panther League
The Leopard League
The Pussy Cat League

The First League
The Second League
The Third Reich
The Fifth Columnists

Or something in the Gaelic.
I don't have the Gaelic
I still don't have the Gaelic
And I will neffer haff the Gaelic

Doncaster should really have consulted us on this.
Soz Jim'n'Billy

(05-14-2014, 09:40 PM)Les Westander Wrote: Or something in the Gaelic.
I don't have the Gaelic
I still don't have the Gaelic
And I will neffer haff the Gaelic

Big Grin