OvertheBridge
How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - Printable Version

+- OvertheBridge (http://www.overthebridge.info)
+-- Forum: Forums (http://www.overthebridge.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: In The Jailend (http://www.overthebridge.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 (/showthread.php?tid=2380)

Pages: 1 2

How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - Forfinn - 07-28-2020

We're entering a new, hopefully temporary era where fans are not allowed in stadiums as we're used to. Premiership clubs have introduced online streaming options, but there's quite a lot of variation across the board so I thought it might be useful to provide a source for information for those who haven't been keeping up as obsessively as I have.

Home games

This should be relatively straightforward. If you get a Ross County season ticket, the club have assured fans you will have online access for every home game this season, regardless of what happens with physical attendance. When fans are allowed back in the ground, your season ticket will be valid as normal (although there may need to be some prioritising if numbers are restricted).

Games can be watched live on Ross County TV and you should be sent login details this week ahead of the opener against Motherwell on Monday. The club published an FAQ last week. A word of advice though - test your setup beforehand. Not all smart TVs seem to work with the Stream Digital platform. We're fortunate to be going last this weekend. Both Celtic and Motherwell have had issues with testing using the same company in the last week. Hopefully any problems will be ironed out by Monday!

Yesterday the club finally announced there will be a pay-per-view (PPV) option for home games. They're still considering how much it will cost and are keen to protect the value of season tickets (which work out as between £13-£18 per game). We have the luxury of seeing how other teams get on first before making a decision on pricing. Our first game it'll be relevant for is Kilmarnock on 12 Aug. It's important to stress any games featured on Sky will not be available on a PPV basis for rights reasons. That immediately counts out the Motherwell game, and probably any time the Old Firm visit. To watch those games you'll either need a season ticket or access to Sky Sports.

Away games

This is where it gets interesting! This won't be done over Ross County TV. It's for the home team to provide the service and you'll need to buy direct from their website - much like you would in real life, I suppose. Pricing, and indeed the choice to provide the service at all is at the discretion of the home club. That's led to some wildly different pricing being announced so far.

Dundee Utd - £12.50
Hamilton - £15
Kilmarnock - £12.50
Livingston - £20
Motherwell - £12
St. Johnstone - £17.50
St. Mirren - £12.50

Aberdeen and Hibs have both announced they'll be doing it, but without details on pricing yet (and Hibs aren't doing PPV for their opening game, which has understandably enraged Killie fans). Celtic and Rangers haven't said anything yet, but if they do decide to do it, don't expect it to be cheap as they'll be keen to protect value for the season ticket holders they've continued to charge full whack.

Again, the Sky PPV blackout applies - so any away games featured on TV will only be available to County fans to watch on Sky.

I'm fairly sure this weekend will be a bit of a car crash with a combination of user error/unfamiliarity, incompatibility of systems and server overload. Hopefully it all beds in quickly after that. Steam Digital will be providing technical support, but perhaps this thread can help a bit too if folk have queries.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - staggie2509 - 07-28-2020

Forfinn Wrote:We're entering a new, hopefully temporary era where fans are not allowed in stadiums as we're used to. Premiership clubs have introduced online streaming options, but there's quite a lot of variation across the board so I thought it might be useful to provide a source for information for those who haven't been keeping up as obsessively as I have.

Home games

This should be relatively straightforward. If you get a Ross County season ticket, the club have assured fans you will have online access for every home game this season, regardless of what happens with physical attendance. When fans are allowed back in the ground, your season ticket will be valid as normal (although there may need to be some prioritising if numbers are restricted).

Games can be watched live on Ross County TV and you should be sent login details this week ahead of the opener against Motherwell on Monday. The club published an FAQ last week. A word of advice though - test your setup beforehand. Not all smart TVs seem to work with the Stream Digital platform. We're fortunate to be going last this weekend. Both Celtic and Motherwell have had issues with testing using the same company in the last week. Hopefully any problems will be ironed out by Monday!

Yesterday the club finally announced there will be a pay-per-view (PPV) option for home games. They're still considering how much it will cost and are keen to protect the value of season tickets (which work out as between £13-£18 per game). We have the luxury of seeing how other teams get on first before making a decision on pricing. Our first game it'll be relevant for is Kilmarnock on 12 Aug. It's important to stress any games featured on Sky will not be available on a PPV basis for rights reasons. That immediately counts out the Motherwell game, and probably any time the Old Firm visit. To watch those games you'll either need a season ticket or access to Sky Sports.

Away games

This is where it gets interesting! This won't be done over Ross County TV. It's for the home team to provide the service and you'll need to buy direct from their website - much like you would in real life, I suppose. Pricing, and indeed the choice to provide the service at all is at the discretion of the home club. That's led to some wildly different pricing being announced so far.

Dundee Utd - £12.50
Hamilton - £15
Kilmarnock - £12.50
Livingston - £20
Motherwell - £12
St. Johnstone - £17.50
St. Mirren - £12.50

Aberdeen and Hibs have both announced they'll be doing it, but without details on pricing yet (and Hibs aren't doing PPV for their opening game, which has understandably enraged Killie fans). Celtic and Rangers haven't said anything yet, but if they do decide to do it, don't expect it to be cheap as they'll be keen to protect value for the season ticket holders they've continued to charge full whack.

Again, the Sky PPV blackout applies - so any away games featured on TV will only be available to County fans to watch on Sky.

I'm fairly sure this weekend will be a bit of a car crash with a combination of user error/unfamiliarity, incompatibility of systems and server overload. Hopefully it all beds in quickly after that. Steam Digital will be providing technical support, but perhaps this thread can help a bit too if folk have queries.
Good post Craig - and useful having this thread in place as like you I'm sure there will be issues that folk will need assistance with

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - Costa Blanca Staggie - 07-28-2020

(07-28-2020, 01:35 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: Good post Craig - and useful having this thread in place as like you I'm sure there will be issues that folk will need assistance with
Many thanks, any idea if this ppv option will work for fans living abroad? Is a tv only season ticket for home games a possibility?

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - Forfinn - 07-28-2020

(07-28-2020, 02:29 PM)Costa Blanca Staggie Wrote: Many thanks, any idea if this ppv option will work for fans living abroad? Is a tv only season ticket for home games a possibility?

The season ticket holder streaming option, and I assume by extension, the standard PPV offering is geolocked to the UK and Ireland. Some other clubs offer overseas streaming as a separate package but County haven't said anything on that yet. Perhaps there'll be further clarification this week - RCFCTV hasn't officially launched yet.

As for TV-only season tickets, I think it's safe to say that won't be happening. It's a full price season ticket or PPV.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - Costa Blanca Staggie - 07-29-2020

Cheers Forfinn, hopefully County will add the overseas option this week. It’d be a real shame to give sky and other clubs my money to watch matches but not County.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - staggie2509 - 07-29-2020

Costa Blanca Staggie Wrote:Cheers Forfinn, hopefully County will add the overseas option this week. It’d be a real shame to give sky and other clubs my money to watch matches but not County.
As said above - there will be further info coming this week on overseas streaming - it has been confirmed that Stream Digital can broadcast overseas - more info to come on this shortly

As Craig said - going forward TV season ticket would be something that they would like to do obviously - but it'll be whether SPFL allow LIVE streaming to continue past this season.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - Forfinn - 07-29-2020

I'm really interested to see how much County decide to charge for PPV. The actual product being offered - live streamed football - is, in my opinion, only "worth" £10 per game. I paid that much to watch Luton Town's final game of the season in the English Championship, and you can buy a Now TV Sky Sports day pass for £9.99. Any more than that and you are either leveraging fan loyalty and/or deliberately charging more to protect season ticket holders' investment.

Four clubs have announced £12 or £12.50 so far, which I can live with. The two outliers at £17.50 and £20 seem particularly outrageous. Accies are in the middle at £15.

The main argument against charging £12 is that you end up with PPV costing less per game than what season ticket holders are paying (£13-£18 depending on stand). County chose to charge full price for season tickets despite the expectation that we'd go most of the season without everyone being able to actually attend, which is what leaves us in this predicament. If you really want to ensure season ticket holders don't lose out, you're looking at pushing £20. I'd have thought £15 could be considered a reasonable compromise. Certainly, any more will make us an object of derision from away supporters. How fair is that we could charge Killie fans £20 in a couple of weeks time while they charge us £12.50 when we "visit"?

So I think an important question is: how much do season ticket holders actually care? You invested £250-£350 per person (before any discounts) in a product you knew wouldn't represent its usual value anyway. Do you mind if the casual fan and away supporters get a better per game deal than you? Presumably your primary motivation was helping the club because it's not as if the current season ticket offering represents decent value without being able to actually attend games?

That's something I'm sure the club are grabbling with at the moment and I really hope they manage to avoid the scandal of Livi's £20!

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - Costa Blanca Staggie - 07-29-2020

Hamilton are charging £129.99 for “overseas only” access to AcciesTV which includes live viewing of all home games (not shown on sky) I think that’s a reasonable price and I’d be more than happy to purchase if Ross County did something similar.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - staggie2509 - 07-29-2020

Costa Blanca Staggie Wrote:Hamilton are charging £129.99 for “overseas only” access to AcciesTV which includes live viewing of all home games (not shown on sky)  I think that’s a reasonable price and I’d be more than happy to purchase if Ross County did something similar.
The limited staff at the club are frantically dealing with so much change at the moment and getting RCFCTV setup and ready for the start of the season is a massive effort.  I'm sure the club and Stream Digital are looking at all avenues and further info will follow regarding overseas streaming - keep an eye on social media and on here for further info

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - jamiepscot - 07-29-2020

(07-29-2020, 09:51 AM)Forfinn Wrote: I'm really interested to see how much County decide to charge for PPV.  The actual product being offered - live streamed football - is, in my opinion, only "worth" £10 per game. I paid that much to watch Luton Town's final game of the season in the English Championship, and you can buy a Now TV Sky Sports day pass for £9.99. Any more than that and you are either leveraging fan loyalty and/or deliberately charging more to protect season ticket holders' investment.

Four clubs have announced £12 or £12.50 so far, which I can live with. The two outliers at £17.50 and £20 seem particularly outrageous. Accies are in the middle at £15.

The main argument against charging £12 is that you end up with PPV costing less per game than what season ticket holders are paying (£13-£18 depending on stand). County chose to charge full price for season tickets despite the expectation that we'd go most of the season without everyone being able to actually attend, which is what leaves us in this predicament. If you really want to ensure season ticket holders don't lose out, you're looking at pushing £20. I'd have thought £15 could be considered a reasonable compromise. Certainly, any more will make us an object of derision from away supporters. How fair is that we could charge Killie fans £20 in a couple of weeks time while they charge us £12.50 when we "visit"?

So I think an important question is: how much do season ticket holders actually care? You invested £250-£350 per person (before any discounts) in a product you knew wouldn't represent its usual value anyway. Do you mind if the casual fan and away supporters get a better per game deal than you?  Presumably your primary motivation was helping the club because it's not as if the current season ticket offering represents decent value without being able to actually attend games?

That's something I'm sure the club are grabbling with at the moment and I really hope they manage to avoid the scandal of Livi's £20!
Like most season ticket holders, I bought my ticket to ensure I kept my seat for later this season/next season. Given that season ticket holders overpaid last season due to it being curtailed early I think paying more over a season is just becoming the norm. I'm sure we're all delighted about that.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - staggie2509 - 07-30-2020

jamiepscot Wrote:Like most season ticket holders, I bought my ticket to ensure I kept my seat for later this season/next season. Given that season ticket holders overpaid last season due to it being curtailed early I think paying more over a season is just becoming the norm. I'm sure we're all delighted about that.
I think the bulk of the large number who have renewed their season tickets is as you say "securing their seat" in the stadium - it's a difficult call for the club as initially they weren't going to sell season tickets this season - but then the SPFL announced the streaming deal with Sky and rather than trying to do our own botch job - the club decided to put out a quality product and strike a deal with a high calibre outfit that also do Celtic TV - that comes at a cost and they had to do what most clubs are doing and charge for a season ticket.

The club have frozen season ticket prices - and they have to get the PPV pricing right in order to make it affordable for walk-up fans to be able to watch streamed games but also not devalue the season ticket - tough decision. 

When we are allowed back into the stadium it's likely to only be season ticket holders given the numbers allowed in due to social distancing and making the use of all four stands to accomodate this.

It's more difficult to allow walk-up fans to be included as they would need to collect details of every supporter coming into the stadium - whereas with season ticket holders they have that info already including where that person was sitting.

It's horrible unprecendented times and the hope is there isn't another lockdown / close down of football as who knows what impact that would have on the club.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - jamiepscot - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 08:57 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: I think the bulk of the large number who have renewed their season tickets is as you say "securing their seat" in the stadium - it's a difficult call for the club as initially they weren't going to sell season tickets this season - but then the SPFL announced the streaming deal with Sky and rather than trying to do our own botch job - the club decided to put out a quality product and strike a deal with a high calibre outfit that also do Celtic TV - that comes at a cost and they had to do what most clubs are doing and charge for a season ticket.

The club have frozen season ticket prices - and they have to get the PPV pricing right in order to make it affordable for walk-up fans to be able to watch streamed games but also not devalue the season ticket - tough decision. 

When we are allowed back into the stadium it's likely to only be season ticket holders given the numbers allowed in due to social distancing and making the use of all four stands to accomodate this.

It's more difficult to allow walk-up fans to be included as they would need to collect details of every supporter coming into the stadium - whereas with season ticket holders they have that info already including where that person was sitting.

It's horrible unprecendented times and the hope is there isn't another lockdown / close down of football as who knows what impact that would have on the club.
It is what it is. Nobody forced me to buy a season ticket and I don't have to buy any strips this year due to the fact they've written '4rse' on the front of it.......I'm not wearing that! Even though some people think I should.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - staggie2509 - 07-31-2020

jamiepscot Wrote:It is what it is. Nobody forced me to buy a season ticket and I don't have to buy any strips this year due to the fact they've written '4rse' on the front of it.......I'm not wearing that! Even though some people think I should.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - StatesideStaggie - 07-31-2020

Just signed up for the international package, the process was a breeze.

Cost in 262USD, that felt a little dear as a lump some, but at just under 14USD/match I'm pretty happy with it.

I had a few questions* before signing up so I sent an email to RCFCTV and received a prompt and helpful response.

Hopefully the international plan will remain in place for future seasons, though I'm looking forward to seeing County live as soon as it's safe to do so again- and I can get some holiday time!  Spring, maybe?

*for those wondering, if you miss the match as it streams live it will be available to watch at midnight the same day.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - Despot - 07-31-2020

My streaming service appears to be working fine, just tested it.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - jamiepscot - 07-31-2020

Can't log onto TV service.

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - weeyin86 - 07-31-2020

(07-31-2020, 07:05 PM)jamiepscot Wrote: Can't log onto TV service.

Same here, have managed to log in and do successful test on phone and desktop PC but username and password not being accepted on TV's Web browser

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - tattiedave - 07-31-2020

I’m on ok

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - jamiepscot - 07-31-2020

(07-31-2020, 07:12 PM)weeyin86 Wrote: Same here, have managed to log in and do successful test on phone and desktop PC but username and password not being accepted on TV's Web browser
I'm at work so I've only been trying on my phone.
Invalid credentials apparently!

RE: How to watch Ross County in 2020/21 - Polarbare - 07-31-2020

(07-31-2020, 07:05 PM)jamiepscot Wrote: Can't log onto TV service.
I can’t either.