OvertheBridge
Scottish Football Crowds - Printable Version

+- OvertheBridge (http://www.overthebridge.info)
+-- Forum: Forums (http://www.overthebridge.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: In The Jailend (http://www.overthebridge.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Scottish Football Crowds (/showthread.php?tid=2268)

Scottish Football Crowds - Steve Finan - 03-04-2019

Good day to you Staggies. I come in peace.
My name is Steve Finan. I wrote a book last year, Lifted Over The Turnstiles: Scottish Football In The Black & White Era.
There was a great pic in it of the old Victoria Park.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifted-Over-Turnstiles-Scotlands-Football/dp/1845357191/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551701211&sr=8-1&keywords=lifted+over+the+turnstiles+book

It is my job to create books, mostly using the material in the DC Thomson Archive. I do football books, it's a great job!
I'm currently creating two books. One is a follow-up to Turnstiles, another book about football in the black and white era (elastically, I'm making this WW2 to 1999) as seen from the fans' perspective. It is called Football Crowds In The Black & White Era.
And I wonder if any of you have photos of Staggies, the crowd, not the team celebrating trophy wins, promotions, big victories...or anything fan-related. Even a pic of supporters just standing on the terraces.
The premise of the book is that football history is written by journalists in their cosy press boxes, or ex-players or managers, who don't experience football in the same way as 99.99% of people who are at the game — the fans. We own the game of football, not them. Our opinion, our experience isn't recorded. It's like reading a history of the battle of Waterloo....I'm not interested in what Wellington or Napoleon thought, I'm interested in what wee Jimmy McGregor in the second rank of the 3rd Light Infantry thought.

I'm also constructing a local-interest book called Arabs Away, about Dundee United supporters following their team.
I'd like to find a pic of Dundee United supporters in the Hampden stands for the 2010 cup final — but a pic properly capturing and encompassing the swathe of DUFC supporters could only be taken from your perspective, by someone in the Ross County stand. I respectfully ask if anyone has a hi-res(ish) pic like this, and if they'd allow me to use it in the book, in return for a photo credit. As a blatant bribe, I'd also send a signed copy of Lifted Over The Turnstiles in return.

Thanks fellow football supporters.

RE: Scottish Football Crowds - thejailender - 03-04-2019

(03-04-2019, 01:23 PM)Steve Finan Wrote: Good day to you Staggies. I come in peace.
My name is Steve Finan. I wrote a book last year, Lifted Over The Turnstiles: Scottish Football In The Black & White Era.
There was a great pic in it of the old Victoria Park.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifted-Over-Turnstiles-Scotlands-Football/dp/1845357191/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551701211&sr=8-1&keywords=lifted+over+the+turnstiles+book

It is my job to create books, mostly using the material in the DC Thomson Archive. I do football books, it's a great job!
I'm currently creating two books. One is a follow-up to Turnstiles, another book about football in the black and white era (elastically, I'm making this WW2 to 1999) as seen from the fans' perspective. It is called Football Crowds In The Black & White Era.
And I wonder if any of you have photos of Staggies, the crowd, not the team celebrating trophy wins, promotions, big victories...or anything fan-related. Even a pic of supporters just standing on the terraces.
The premise of the book is that football history is written by journalists in their cosy press boxes, or ex-players or managers, who don't experience football in the same way as 99.99% of people who are at the game — the fans. We own the game of football, not them. Our opinion, our experience isn't recorded. It's like reading a history of the battle of Waterloo....I'm not interested in what Wellington or Napoleon thought, I'm interested in what wee Jimmy McGregor in the second rank of the 3rd Light Infantry thought.

I'm also constructing a local-interest book called Arabs Away, about Dundee United supporters following their team.
I'd like to find a pic of Dundee United supporters in the Hampden stands for the 2010 cup final — but a pic properly capturing and encompassing the swathe of DUFC supporters could only be taken from your perspective, by someone in the Ross County stand. I respectfully ask if anyone has a hi-res(ish) pic like this, and if they'd allow me to use it in the book, in return for a photo credit. As a blatant bribe, I'd also send a signed copy of Lifted Over The Turnstiles in return.

Thanks fellow football supporters.

I've got a number of photos from the Scottish cup final that show the Utd support.
Have you got a contact email that I could send them through on.

RE: Scottish Football Crowds - Steve Finan - 03-04-2019

(03-04-2019, 02:06 PM)thejailender Wrote: I've got a number of photos from the Scottish cup final that show the Utd support.

Yes I do.
sfinan@dctmedia.co.uk

Thanks very much Jailender. I greatly appreciate the response.

Anyone else with pix should feel free to use that email address — I should have thought to include it in the original post.
But I'm old, and forget things.

RE: Scottish Football Crowds - MOGO - 03-04-2019

(03-04-2019, 02:06 PM)thejailender Wrote: I've got a number of photos from the Scottish cup final that show the Utd support.

OUCH!

Beat me to it.
Some folk will do anything for a freebie.
Seriously, well done Jailender.

RE: Scottish Football Crowds - NVACA - 03-05-2019

I have no crowd photos or anything, but I just wanted to say that I love your book, love the old photos in Lifted Over the Turnstiles.

RE: Scottish Football Crowds - Steve Finan - 03-07-2019

(03-04-2019, 06:56 PM)MOGO Wrote: OUCH!

Beat me to it.
Some folk will do anything for a freebie.
Seriously, well done Jailender.

I'd appreciate a look at what you have, please.
Jailender sent me a great pic, but he was to the left of the Ross County support in the "Rangers End" (I hate that terminology).

I'd like a pic showing the Dundee United support behind the opposite goal and on the North Terracing.

And I decide which pix go in the book, so I can decide to use more than one pic!

(03-05-2019, 12:06 AM)NVACA Wrote: I have no crowd photos or anything, but I just wanted to say that I love your book, love the old photos in Lifted Over the Turnstiles.

Thanks very much NVACA. The Turnstiles book was a joy to put together, I've never enjoyed a job so much. I set myself a challenge of finding pictures of every ground in Scotland, that no one had seen before, and from back in the days when football grounds were all individual. And spent a wonderful couple of months tracking them down, yakking with old football blokes like myself. I drank a lot of cuppas and made a lot of friends (even though they supported different teams to me).
The resulting book has been flying off the shelves.
I reckon (although I'm terribly biased) it is the best birthday/Christmas/Father's Day gift for an old footy bloke that has ever existed!

But thanks very much for your kind words. My respects to you sir.